Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Playing a Japanese import without understanding Japanese

11.22.2011 5:25pm
Thread Creator

Makeshift Gray
FFO's Blank Earth

Has anyone here done it successfully? Any advice to offer?

Tired of being at the mercy of localization, I'm considering importing Tales of Xillia. I don't understand Japanese, but I've got a few tools at my disposal:

• Familiarity with the series. It's a Tales game, so the core gameplay will be familiar. I'd also recognize certain item icons, etc.
  • English translation of menus available online.
  • English plot summaries available online.
  • Basic understanding of Katakana.

I figure it could be a fun project, if nothing else.

Jump to Post

11.22.2011 5:37pm

Testament
Shamshot

I played Xenosaga I-II on DS and still had fun (I'm a Xenoslut, though).  Most of the "new" scenes had been fanslated already, so I was able to read those online.

I say go for it.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 12:31am

Crisium
N/A

Ah, if there's one thing that might motivate someone like us to learn another language it's Video Games.  Who wouldn't want to learn Japanese and play all the forgotten gems from gaming past?

It sounds like you're already in a better position that most, so give it a shot.  I tried to play a JRPG once, even with a translation online, but it was too much of a hassal.  But you have experience with the series, so go nuts.

However, Xillia is selling quite well, so there may be hope for an English version in NA or EU in 2012 or 2013.  Unless you must play it now, you might want to at least wait for some months to see if a localization is ever announced.

Jump to Post

12.10.2011 5:02am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

Go for it. Playing FF7J despite not knowing any Japanese was fun (although I am extremely familiar with the game to begin with).

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter