Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Release Now, Patch Later: Now for entire consoles!

11.13.2013 4:34am
Thread Creator (Edited on 11.13.2013 at 4:53am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

XBone does not play games out of the box, requires Day 1 patch to do so.

Really, how contemptuous can these people get of their consumers, nowadays? Again, MS does not realize that there are plenty of people who do not have broadband internet connections still.

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 4:57am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

This was already known.

For the exact quote:

After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again

This was back in June.  This is not a new and sudden thing.

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 5:09am
Thread Creator

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

The patch was known. The fact your console would be non-functional without it was not.

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 5:53am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I don't understand why they just dont program the patch into the system if they have it ready when it launches....

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 6:25am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

PS4 won't be able to play Blu-Rays or DVD's out of the box either. And Wii U wasn't able to play Wii games without a day 1 patch that could've potentially bricked your console if you lost your internet connection. MS' is the stupidest yet, but it isn't unprecedented this generation for hardware to require a large day 1 patch to unlock basic functionality.

This is why I don't buy launch window hardware. Like, this super-justifies it.

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 8:52am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Huh, and here I thought this was going to be about Gta or Battlefield. Didn't see the console part at first.

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 8:46pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Well if the rumor is true, MS may sell the Xbox division off and it'll be someone else's headache. heh

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 9:44pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Both systems are coming in so hot that they might as well leave scorch marks. Another reason not to get a console at launch, but wait a month or two for the insanity to subside before picking one up (this is what I'm doing). I can already hear the rage of what's going to happen on this Friday and next Friday.

I wish they'd be shipping the consoles with the patch on a disc, though. That would certainly help some of the bottlenecking of downloading the patch. 

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 10:02pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Kellios said:

I wish they'd be shipping the consoles with the patch on a disc, though. That would certainly help some of the bottlenecking of downloading the patch. 

Sony's thought ahead at least a little in that regard - the patch is already up for people to download through Sony's site and stick on a USB device, just like they let people do with PS3, so you can get the update in advance and be more or less ready to go Friday morning.

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 10:36pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Yeah, that's smart, and they should advertise that more.

Jump to Post

11.13.2013 11:08pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Going to wait a while. There are already reports of PS4s bricking and the XBox One is the XBox One. I'm not getting a next gen console until Dragon Age 3 and Witcher 3. Unless I get a Steam Machine instead. Or a more badass HTPC. Of course, if X and a Metroid come out, I may just get a Wii U and say screw it for a while.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter