Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Return of the DS

03.12.2012 9:10pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 03.22.2012 at 6:56am)

mayofmay
Don't worry, I'm just watching you.

So, two and a half years after I had to pawn my DS and the few wonderful games I had, I have now purchased two DSs (a pink DS Lite for the little ones and a very gently used Black Legend of Zelda 3DS for myself). I grabbed a couple of games: Rhythm Heaven (I had acquired the Wii sequel and also started emulating the Japan-only Rhythm Tengoku for GBA), 2 Pokémon main series games (Soul Silver [I wanted Heart Gold] and White), and Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days.

Eventually I want to replace my old library as well:

• New Super Mario Bros.
  • Yoshi's Island DS
  • Tetris DS
  • Pokémon Pearl
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife
  • Brain Age
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Lost Magic
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

The question: over the next few months, what other games should I get as well?

Jump to Post

03.12.2012 11:00pm

Fuuko Sakurada
Momoia =D

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked is a good game for 3DS as well

BoA*

Best of Asia * since 2000

Jump to Post

03.13.2012 1:28am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 7, and Ocarina of Time are mandatory 3DS games.  For DS Radiata Stories and The World Ends With You are amazing JRPGs.  Dragon Quest V, Chrono Trigger remake, and anything Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton are awesome.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

03.13.2012 3:42pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

If you like puzzles, Picross 3D is a must have (note: that's for the DS, not the 3DS). I would suggest Kirby Mass Attack, the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney games, Ace Attorney Investigations, um...Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Dragon Quest IX, um....My World, My Way was a fun First-Person RPG. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, um... Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Tale, um...

I'll post more when I can remember them lol

Jump to Post

03.13.2012 6:40pm

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

Ace Attorney, all of them. (The Apollo Justice one is not as good as the others but still worth playing if you like the franchise.)

Jump to Post

03.13.2012 10:21pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Hotel Dusk, The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest IV-VI and IX, Contra 4, Retro Game Challenge, Front Mission, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Jump to Post

03.14.2012 12:49am
Thread Creator

mayofmay

I definitely need to get Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, especially since I've played (and almost beaten) Aria of Sorrow.

Is it worth getting the first Ace Attorney game? I already have it on the Wii.

Catastrophe, is the DS version of Rhapsody significantly better than the PSX version? Which one would be the better buy?

I have really wanted to play TWEWY. Is the gameplay for that along the same lines as Hotel Dusk?

I surely desire the Kirby games (Mass Attack and Super Star Ultra [I LOVED Super Star]), but are Canvas Curse and Squeak Squad any good?

I think I'll have it in my budget to grab about one or two games per pay period, so we'll see how things go.

Jump to Post

03.14.2012 1:08am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

TWEWY is a JRPG with a weird (but very fun) battle system.

In RE: PW1, I forget.  Does the Wii version have the fifth case?  If not, get the DS version.

Plus, on a personal note, uh...I kinda have a thing about being able to yell OBJECTION into the DS mic.  I never get tired of that.

And Kirby Canvas Curse was alright.  I mean, if you can get it cheap.

Jump to Post

03.14.2012 1:51am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

If I remember correctly, the fifth case of PW1 is DLC they held onto until after PW3 was released for Wiiware. All the Ace Attorney games are worth getting in which ever form you prefer.

All the main series Dragon Quest games on the DS have been good, though I haven't finished VI yet. Chrono Trigger is an absolute must. If you haven't had your fill of FFIV yet, the DS version if generally under $20 these days and has had some things changed that I don't think are in any other version.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

03.14.2012 2:30am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I liked Squeek Squad but it doesn't do anything crazy with controls like MA or CC.  Think of it like a cross between Adventure and Super Star.

Oh man, Picross 3D... I was so freaking obsessed with that game.  Definitely my favorite puzzle game ever.

Jump to Post

03.14.2012 8:07am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I recommend Radiant Historia and The World Ends With You,  and Bowser's Inside story three amazing RPGs. 

I also recommend the entire Phoenix Wright series if you like the idea of point and click adventure games, and even if you don't try this one out. I'd also reiterate Chrono Trigger remake, it's a good version.

As for games nobody else has mentioned, here are two more point and click adventures I LOVED:

1) 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors. Speaking of this game you all here need to play it
2) Time Hollow

Metal Slug 7 is also good. Crusader, Y U NO MENTION METAL SLUG 7? 

Jump to Post

03.14.2012 3:19pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Oh right, I forgot about 999.

mayofmay. The DS version of Rhapsody doesn't have the English versions of the songs. It plays the Japanese versions with English subtitles. So if you like that, that's a plus. Also Kururu is now a playable character. On the other hand though, they changed the battles from the strategy-esque style of the console version, to a turn-based style. Both have their pros and cons, but I think, in the end, I'd lean towards the PS1 version...if you can find it, get it. (Also, apparently the DS version was a tad glitchy but I never experienced any.)

Jump to Post

03.14.2012 3:28pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Spidey said: Metal Slug 7 is also good. Crusader, Y U NO MENTION METAL SLUG 7? 

Because I hate it.  It bored the crap out of me; it was the series spinning its wheels.  Granted, Metal Slug has done that for years now, but MS7 commits an even more cardinal sin on top of that: it makes me PAY for all that.  That amounted to some serious rage.

Jump to Post

03.14.2012 9:44pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Radiant Historia and Devil Survivor are my picks.

Jump to Post

03.22.2012 7:18am
Thread Creator

mayofmay

Update...

So I have picked up a few more games in preparation for my week-long trip to Mississippi. Some initial thoughts from my opening library...

• Rhythm Heaven - loving this game, though the Wii version is much more engrossing (I don't have to hold the Wii to play it and the controls are more precise)
  • Pokémon SoulSilver - This will definitely be my main timesink.
  • Pokémon White - A good restart of the series but with 73,000 extra bells and whistles, I'll probably let the little one take over on this one.
  • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Just started, no particular impression to note as of yet.
  • Legend of Zelda: OoT3D - Dungeon 1 clear, graphics and controls are tight and I'm loving the 3D. I just hope I'll beat it this time around (friggin' Water Temple...but I know how to get the Zora's/Blue Tunic now).
  • BIT.TRIP SAGA - Six BIT.TRIP games in one. Old school gaming frustration with the musical-esque gameplay - consider me hooked.
  • Dora Puppy - Not for me, serves its purpose well.
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Love the pencil sketch look, still early in the game, but I am learning to be more careful in my responses since I've hit my first game over screen.
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra - Just tried the minigames since I know what to expect through the main games. I know I'll love the whole game since I still have the original for the SNES.
  • Dragon Quest IX - Just started, no comment yet.
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Love the intro. Long way to go.
  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife - Got it for $4, know the game, haven't even put it in the system yet.
That's a good library to get started, but I will not pass up a good deal if it were to come along.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter