Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Rocksmith

10.27.2011 1:29pm
Thread Creator

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Started this since there was a bit of interest in this in the "latest game purchased" thread. Anyone else picked this up yet?

Well I fiddled around with it for about an hour yesterday. As a bit of background, I've had an acoustic for about 3 years but apart from picking it up every 6 months for some chord progression (and not having a lot of fun with that), I'm as close to a guitar newbie as there is.

The game is really built for people like me. The difficulty changes in song, yes, but it rises and drops based on how well you're doing. You start off with single string notes and not chords, and there were very few notes to hit. Once I started hitting them, more and more were thrown at me, I got a bit overwhelmed, and the difficulty dropped back down. I'd rather that than have an "easy mode" where there's no sense of progression apart from "10 more songs and I'm done this difficulty!"

After that first song (Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones), the game recommended I do the sliding technique trial. I watched a video and then did the challenge; not well, mind you, but I did it a few more times and am starting to get a handle on what I should be doing and where my fingers are on the neck. After I played the next song, the game recommended I do a sustained note technique challenge.

Once I finished all of that I played the Ducks minigame, which send the little critters up different frets, and you have to strum a note in the fret to shoot them. I'm glad I had a chance to do the sliding technique stuff first. I thought I did pretty well for a little while, all without looking at the fret board unless I got totally lost. So a bit more practice with that and I'll feel a lot better about sliding from fret to fret, though again I'm only on single notes (an really about 2 strings) so far.

I played my first gig and got an encore. The more you play and the more things you do, the more points you get which levels you up and unlocks more amps and tuners, gigs, and so on. So my first hour was a bit of frustration at starting out again, but I loved the feedback, the recommendations I get, and just need to keep at it to see some real progress.

Jump to Post

10.27.2011 1:52pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Interesting. 

Can I ask how much it was? 

I had to give up guitar lessons a few years ago due to cost. Unfortunately we never made it past much except my teacher tabbing out songs and giving me a few scales to learn. 

I've really been thinking about picking it up again and I've been feeling the itch lately. I've got over a grand invested in 2 electrics, an acoustic, and a bass, all just sitting there. 

Does it go into any theory or just technique? Do you feel like eventually you will be able to play the "real" version of these songs?

Jump to Post

10.27.2011 2:44pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

looking at Play.com, the game itself cost the same as a standard console game. Bestbuy has the game with guitar at  $199.99, but Rocksmith's website say you can use any guitar, so you'd only need the game Amer.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

10.27.2011 3:18pm
Thread Creator

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Amer said:

Interesting. 

Can I ask how much it was? 

I had to give up guitar lessons a few years ago due to cost. Unfortunately we never made it past much except my teacher tabbing out songs and giving me a few scales to learn. 

I've really been thinking about picking it up again and I've been feeling the itch lately. I've got over a grand invested in 2 electrics, an acoustic, and a bass, all just sitting there. 

Does it go into any theory or just technique? Do you feel like eventually you will be able to play the "real" version of these songs?

The game in Canada is $79.99, then I spent $100 to buy a friend's Yamaha Pacifica guitar. The cable is just USB to 1/4" so you plug it in and go. The only annoying thing is you have to pluck the strings before you do pretty much anything to make sure it's in tune. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it checks, bure every single song, technique challenge, game, etc? It gets annoying.

The recommendations try and lean you toward the technique challenges, which start with a video on what you should be doing, so yeah there's a bit of theory behind it I suppose. The challenges and video are available at any time.

Eventually, if I keep at it, yeah I think I will be able to play the real versions of these songs. It's not going to happen overnight or probably even a month down the road. At the end of the day you're still learning how to play an instrument, so it's up to your commitment level. I was going to go for lessons, but this is infinitely more fun, I have instant feedback on how I'm doing, and enough training sessions (if you want to call them that), to make is something I WANT to do. I plan at working away at it for 30-60 minutes a day and see what happens.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter