Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Selling a Collection

07.15.2014 5:56pm
Thread Creator

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

I'm looking to sell about 100 items (40+ NES games, 30+ Genesis games, 20+PS1 games, and 10-15 PS2 and PSP games).  I'm trying to find out what they're worth, and whether or not anyone has had luck selling off a big lot of games like this.  I'm considering simply taking them a used game/movie store and rolling the dice, as listing each of them on eBay is not something I'm interested in doing, effort-wise.  I found a website (https://videogames.pricecharting.com) that has supposed averages for eBay, Amazon, and half.com that are updated daily.  When I saw Mega Man 5 was valued at $71.00, I could scarcely believe it, until I looked on eBay and saw that several bids were in the high $60 range.

I know that with things like this, what it's "worth" and what you'll get are not the same.  When I totalled up my collection, its value is more than $900.  Anyone have experience on either the selling or buying end of this?  What's my best option?

Jump to Post

07.15.2014 6:25pm
 (Edited on 07.15.2014 at 6:31pm)

Testament
Shamshot

I've never sold games in a lot before, but I've sold several rare/semi-rare games on eBay. I would sell the games that are going to make decent profit individually (preferably on eBay or privately), and then either throw the rest in a lot or take them to a used store like you mentioned above.

Jump to Post

07.16.2014 2:52am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

In my city there is an antique mall that has a pretty cool retro games section (last time I was there I saw an Earthbound, a Mario RPG, and a Mega Man X3) - if you have one in your city you might be able to put them for sale there and get some consignment money.  I've sold a few games online (I think a couple here in one of our older threads) and gone through used game stores.  If you don't want to sell them online individually I'd try finding a cool local store.

Also: If you have a couple cool games here or there perhaps consider donating them to a charitable gaming event like AGDQ or SGDQ - they can use them as prizes or auction items to help raise some money for Doctors Without Borders or something like that.  Not every game would be perfect for that, but certain games, particularly popular ones for speed running (Mega Man V) could help do some good.

Jump to Post

07.16.2014 1:26pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

Call said:
 When I saw Mega Man 5 was valued at $71.00, I could scarcely believe it, until I looked on eBay and saw that several bids were in the high $60 range.
There is a secondhand game shop about an hour's drive from my house. The last time I was there, they had a boxed copy of Mega Man 6 marked for $150. My jaw may have dropped a bit when I first saw that.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

07.16.2014 2:23pm
Thread Creator

Call
Administrator

I sold a bunch of Genesis, PS1, PS2, and PSP games for about $40 (mostly crap that is very common, like NBA Jam, GTA III, etc.) at the used game store by my house.  None were worth more than a few dollars, anyway.  And then...

Then they began entering NES games into their system, and when they got about ten deep, the girl said to me, "Now, you know we don't give any more than $5 for cratridge games, right?"  Some of the games I was selling: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! ($18.33), Contra ($22.91), gold LoZ and Zelda II ($19.61 and $14.99), and my Mega Man collection 1-6 ($44.50, $16.54, $17.81, $25.25, $71.28, $41.16; combined total of $216.54!!!).  I had 42 NES carts, and they wanted me to give them up for $210 or less.  I told them to not even bother.  It was store policy (at a place called BuyBacks, which I think is national).  $5 apiece!  Stealing!

So I packed up the rest of my stuff and hauled it to the family truckster.  I called Second Time Around, the established used game store closer to downtown, and asked if they had such a policy, and they laughed, saying they'd never heard of something like that, that games were worth what they're worth and to bring them down to be fairly priced.  I headed that way, and dragged my 32-gallon tub inside, much to the amusement of the patrons, who all wondered what was inside.  There were oohs and aahs as I unloaded my collection, though it was mostly common stuff.  The guy who appraised my things was also impressed, calling himself a classic games nerd.  He began looking through my NES games and categorizing them.  I checked his values with my own, and pulled back any I thought I could place on eBay for more profit.  I also sold him Chrono Cross, FF Anthology, FF Chronicles, FF Origins, and a green label FFT (I still have my black label FFT) for $5 apiece, instead of the $2 BuyBacks tried to give me.  I left there with $141, and was pretty happy that I got a good deal for common games like Alien 3, Bases Loaded, Gauntlet, Pro Wrestling, and RC Pro-Am.

So home I went, keeping my Mega Man collection (he did try to low-ball me on those, then admitted I could get $150-200 on eBay for all six together), Punch-Out!!, and both LoZ carts, among others.  In my first eBay listing ever, I placed Punch-Out!! (with a "signed personal letter) from Tyson that came with it long ago) for $9 to open and $18 to buy it now, plus put up both copies of Contra and both LoZ games in separate auctions.  

Punch-Out!! sold in less than hour for $18, or for $14 more than even Second Time Around offered.  Easy!  I'm holding on to most of the games until I figure out how all this works and ways to improve my chances of better money.  

Long story short, I think if you do this, patronize your local store that's been in business for while, but only for games you know are lower value.  Anything rare or remotely collectible, hit the internet.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Jump to Post

07.17.2014 1:59pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

I envy you guys who have retro stores. :(

===

"Plans? What plans? i'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

07.18.2014 8:54am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

Seems like you either find stores like GameStop that only wanna give you $2 for a game that's only a few years old (store credit, at that), or you go to a local place or flea market and find people expecting to get $25-30 out of even the most common PS2 games.

I'm trying to sell 19 of my Xbox 360 games on eBay for $150 and couldn't get any buyers.  Had to lower it to $100 and I'm still getting people trying to offer me $50.  Best offer I've had is $70, but I'm already just about giving them away at $5 a piece.  I've got a couple games on there that I know still go for at least $12-15 but it's too hard to sell them individually so I just threw them in with the lot.

GameStop's been doing this for years now.  I remember back at least about 15 years ago I was trying to sell off some of my lesser-enjoyed Game Boy games and they wanted $1 but ONLY if I had the little plastic case for them.

Jump to Post

07.18.2014 2:35pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I keep meaning to sell Suikoden 2 on ebay but I'm just too lazy!  Beyond that anything I have I'm keeping - anything I don't want I tend to trade in immediately (for way less than it's worth - again, lazy).

I have a similar problem with my comic trade collection.  I have hundreds.  I think 5 bookshelves full?  But no way am I taking the time to sell them piece by piece, and even if someone did want to pay a few thousand for the lot (I wouldn't take less than that) no way could I even consider shipping them - I'd need to get enough to hire someone to come ship them for me.

Jump to Post

07.20.2014 6:34pm
Thread Creator

Call
Administrator

It all comes down to rarity, I think.  I sold Zelda and Zelda II as a pair and got $30.00, also from someone who just bought them outright without bidding.  I have a copy of Contra (1 of 2 I have) and listed it at $5, and within a few hours, I went from one bid at $5 to 9 bids at $12.50.  On the flip side, I listed Madden 2005 Collector's Edition and a lot of 5 late-90s EA Sports games for next to nothing, and they barely have any views, let alone bids; these are not rare, nor do they have any nostalgia value whatsoever.  

Lews, try pulling out your rarer games and selling those individually.  I'm thinking you can write off the others.  That's what I'm doing. 

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter