Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Somehow I've fallen in love with the Wii U

06.18.2018 1:44pm
Thread Creator

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

I know the console is six years old and Nintendo has moved on from it. I just bought one this past Christmas (A Christmas present to myself) and it is probably my most played console right now. Now in fairness, part of that is because it's backwards compatible with the Wii and I am going through a phase where I am finally working through my Wii backlog, but in the process of doing so I have really come to appreciate the Wii U. It is a damn fine machine. 

I completely understand why it failed, but there are some great titles on here worth checking out:

Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New Super Mario Brothers U
Mario Kart 8

I know everyone is probably familiar with its library and the games I listed above, but I guess to me the point is that a small sampling of games like that makes owning a Wii U worth it (in my opnion). It doesn't hurt that it also has Breath of the Wild on it as well. As a PS4 and Xbox One owner I really don't feel like I am missing anything yet by not owning a Switch. I am so backlogged on Mario games I won't touch Mario Odyssey for years. 

I just bought Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, and LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes for it as well. 

And the virtual console on this thing is just amazing. When the Switch was revealed I was initially excited because I envisioned a world where the Switch would become my go to Nintendo device for all generations Nintendo with what I thought would be the (inevitable) reveal of a Switch virtual console. Well, since that isn't happening I think I'll sit out the Switch for a little while longer and just collect Wii U games until a Switch price drop. 

I know that none of this probably will come as a surprise to anyone on this forum who is also a Nintendo fan, I guess I have been going through a little bit of a Nintendo Renaissance in my gaming hobby and find the Wii U to be an amazing little machine that helps scratch that itch. 

As I said, I completely understand why it failed. Poor marketing, came across like another version of the Wii, the gamepad wasn't really executed the way it should have been. Poor 3rd party support and game releases few and far between. But for gaming enthusiasts who like Nintendo, this is a hell of a machine, especially now at the end of it's lifecyle while everything can be picked up cheap. 

Anyone else as big of a fan of the Wii U as I have become? 

Jump to Post

06.18.2018 2:03pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

On one hand I really love my Wii U. On the other, I'm really glad most of the best games for it have gotten ported to Switch or other consoles.

Jump to Post

06.18.2018 9:46pm

Scribe
The Taru

reido said:

On one hand I really love my Wii U. On the other, I'm really glad most of the best games for it have gotten ported to Switch or other consoles.

I feel this way about the system. Really hoped for a Metroid release as well but got none. Wind Waker HD made the purchase worth it for me. Toad's treasure tracker is fun and I think you should add that to your backlog if you like puzzle games and the art of 3D World. But you are missing one of the biggest games released on the system: Mario Maker. This game is a 80's kids wet dream.

Jump to Post

06.26.2018 10:46pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Best game on the system for me was Breath of the Wild. Which is a Wii U game. The switch version is a port.

I did like the system. Dk tropical freeze was pretty fun. Wojld super mario 3d world be appealing to someone like me who hasnt really loved a new mario game since Mario 64?

Jump to Post

06.27.2018 2:02am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

The WiiU gamepad was a cheap gimmick that Nintendo didnâ??t develop well for, and was ignored by the 3rd parties.

Agree the system gets more criticism than it deserves. The technical limitations didnâ??t bother me because I still firmly believe that a great gaming experience is at least 90% about software, and hardware plays a supporting role.

Jump to Post

06.27.2018 2:10pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Spidey said:

I did like the system. Dk tropical freeze was pretty fun. Wojld super mario 3d world be appealing to someone like me who hasnt really loved a new mario game since Mario 64?

I love Super Mario 3D World a lot, but I'm not sure it's what most 3D Mario fans are looking for (that would be Odyssey, TBH). It feels more like a 3D version of a 2D Mario game like Mario 3 or World, or like a pared down version of of Galaxy games.

It's (in my opinion) very, very good, but my understanding is that it can be an acquired taste.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter