Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Squeenix Shifts Away From Single-Player Console & PC Titles

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

11.06.2013 6:10pm
Thread Creator

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Read page 10. 

Because they didn't think they'd given us enough reasons to be pissed at them. 

Now shifting focus might not mean "abandoning ship," as we still have announced single-player titles coming down the pipe, but this is worrisome.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

11.06.2013 10:30pm

Zubis
Registered Member

It's okay, the fanbase had shifted away years ago anyway.

As I said on FB, I knew the writing was on the wall when they claimed Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Hitman Absolution - some of the best single player games in the last five years - were commercial failures.

But honestly, who's to blame them? FF14 is their biggest success in 10 years and FF11 arguably kept the company afloat from 2001-2010.

Jump to Post

11.07.2013 2:07am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

I am waiting for the day when SEX crashes and burns. Maybe then, that will wake them up and get them back to the way they used to be when the "Squaresoft" logo alone shifts games.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

11.07.2013 3:20am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Not a big deal, people.  PC sales are down, consoles don't have the monopoly on quality game sales they used to have, and the mobile marketplace just keeps booming and diversifying and being generally healthier.

Reading this report, I don't think it's a big deal at all.  They are making money on FFXIV, and it's also the only good game they've made in 5 years.  The. Only. One.  So them shifting their overseas studios to focus on online titles is fine with me.  The smart phone push is also just a typical reaction to the climate of electronic media, and every company is doing it.  It honestly may improve our odds of seeing the sorts of games we like because they won't have the opportunity to blow all of their budget on graphics and have nothing left for level design.  I'm shocked you guys are having a negative reaction to Squeenix indicating a change in direction.  Everyone talks like any change would be a good one, but when one comes they complain.  Y'all need to play FFXIV.  It will make you young again.

Jump to Post

11.07.2013 6:48am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

I don't think a traditional Final Fantasy with a multiplayer component would be all that bad, it would actually be pretty exciting to me. I'm talking about an online RPG that wouldn't be an MMO.

Jump to Post

11.12.2013 1:32am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Multiplayer is not a concern for me either.. I wish the announcement was "Square Enix moves away from making every game a button masher"

Jump to Post

11.12.2013 1:36am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Jump to Post

11.12.2013 3:53am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Shadow said:

I don't think a traditional Final Fantasy with a multiplayer component would be all that bad, it would actually be pretty exciting to me. I'm talking about an online RPG that wouldn't be an MMO.

That would be fine for me too if they can add a Multiplayer or online component like what Dragon Quest IX, Dragon's Dogma, or Dark Souls did (a lot of D's heh?).

Of course I am a bit more pessimistic about this since Square-Enix did cancel a single player Legacy of Kain game and used it's multiplayer component to create a multiplayer only game surrounding Nosgorth. It's one example but it shows to the extend Square-Enix is pushing multiplayer over single player game considering Legacy of Kain is one IP where a strong single player game seems so right.

Jump to Post

01.06.2014 12:48pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

From NEOGAF and another site

https://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/hitman_absolution/news/square_enix_montreals_next-gen_hitman_title_confirmed_cancelled.html

Square Enix Montreal's next-gen Hitman title confirmed cancelled

iOS & Android Hitman in development at the studio instead.

Square Enix Montreal's next-gen Hitman title has been cancelled, it's been confirmed.

The fate of the game was left uncertain after Square Enix chose to shift the team's focus onto mobile titles in mid-2013, but according to the LinkedIn profile of senior game designer Richard Knight, the game was formally cancelled last year.

Little was known about the title, which was first announced in late 2011 and expected to be Square Enix Montreal's first production, but the profile of another senior designer states that the game would have been another "re-imagining" of the series and, like the earlier games, would have featured both third and first-person combat.

The profile of network engineer Anthony Pressacco also suggests that the game would have included support for microtransactions and online leaderboards. The first concept art of the game is thought to have surfaced in late 2012.

The studio is now developing an "unannounced Hitman game" for Android and iOS, Pressacco states.

Square Enix has never formally announced the cancellation of Montreal's Hitman title, but in June it was reported that the studio would be shifting its focus to mobile development, with Hitman creators IO Interactive to focus "resolutely on the future vision for the Hitman franchise".

Square also confirmed that IO was "in pre-production on a new AAA Hitman project", although it was never confirmed whether it would be taking control of SE Montreal's project or developing a new title altogether.

The two teams had previously been expected to alternate between AAA Hitman releases.

Neither IO or Square Enix Montreal's new Hitman projects have yet been formally revealed.

Source: linkedin.com

It's happening

Jump to Post

01.06.2014 1:40pm
Thread Creator

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Jump to Post

01.06.2014 2:55pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

I'd be more concerned had I not stopped giving a shit about SE around the time FF13 came out. I just want FF15 to not suck so I can play that and go out on a good note. Otherwise, Bethesda and Bioware stole my RPG heart a while ago.

Jump to Post

01.06.2014 2:55pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Sweet. This is how you destroy an IP, with half baked ideas from managers who have no emotional investment in a series beyond the green. Not to mention a task agenda from a parent company half a world away, who have no idea how to make good games anymore. While I have no love for Hitman, it just goes to show that anytime a bigger company swallows a smaller company, expect that it's the same as if they have closed their doors. Their games don't belong to them anymore. First EA, and now Enix. Ouch.

Jump to Post

01.06.2014 5:09pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Your funeral Squeenix.

Jump to Post

01.06.2014 5:15pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

So long, seeya later, don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Jump to Post

01.06.2014 5:44pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

IO Interactive is apparently still working on an honest Hitman, so there's that at least ...

And that's the thing. Quality titles are still being published under the Square Enix label. Hitman, Deus Ex: HR, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider and so forth. If it wasn't  for S-E's publishing Sleeping Dogs wouldn't have seen the light of day, in fact.

Problem is that S-E can't get its own house together. Corporate keeps meddling in the affairs of its first-party studios, which keep churning out shit as a result.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter