Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

The Last of Us is getting some great reviews

06.06.2013 3:04am

Zubis
Registered Member

Kinda hard to take reviews that call it the Citizen Kane of gaming seriously. I thought that hyperbole died in the 90s.

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 3:20am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I can't comment on MGS4 because I haven't played it (I didn't care for MGS2).  GTA IV was very good, but not as good as III or Vice City, and a lot of what it got praise for like the story and the internet and the friends is what weighed it down.  I don't know that my interests align with those of journalists even when they're not being bribed or catering to fanbases or whatever.  Whether this is good or not...it probably is, but my personal interest isn't strong enough that it bothers me I don't have a PS3 and can't play it.

Scribe said:

Since those are disappointments I am curious what games you would rate 10/10. Both GTA 4 and MGS4 were incredible!

If we're talking x.x scores like IGN (6.3, 7.7...) I wouldn't give much of anything a 10/10.  Maybe Final Fantasy VI, maybe Ocarina of Time.  It's a very unusual honor.  GTA IV's an 8.6.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 3:22am

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

I'm pretty sure the only time I saw IGN give out a 10 was for the original Pokemon

Edit: after checking, I stand corrected V_V

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 3:24am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Zubis said:

Kinda hard to take reviews that call it the Citizen Kane of gaming seriously. I thought that hyperbole died in the 90s.

Amen. I wrote a blog post about that very thing earlier today.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 4:15am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Darth Howie said:

Off the top of my head? Super Metroid, Super Mario Galaxy, Fallout: New Vegas (post-patch), Fire Emblem Awakening, Xenoblade, Walking Dead, Persona 4...

Two things! So there's a patch for new Vegas (is this for 360)?

Also as for 10/10's to be honest I don't think I would give any game this geenration a 10/10. I still follow pre 1998 EGM's philosiphy that a 10 means the game is perfect w/o flaws. That said the only game I can think of that deserves that distinction is Chrono Trigger looking at things "objectivley" due to it's replay value, multiple endings, great story, variety at the last parts of the game, graphics, music, and battle system. 

This Gen ... Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins (despite the so-so visuals),and Super Mario Galaxy are the closest things to a 10/10 but they are still quite a long way off from that mark.

Zubis said:

It's still being used once in a while :-P

For today brings about the release of "300," and it is the "Citizen Kane" of cinematic graphic novels.

https://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/300.aspx

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 4:21am

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

All that proves is that Richard Roeper is an idiot. Which is something that everyone was already aware of.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 4:32am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

There's no point in having a 10 on a scale if you never use it.

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 5:47am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

There's no point in having a 10 point scale.

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 7:09am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Agree on DH and Onyx. I just use a four thumb scale now since it works easier for me. Big Thumbs Up, Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, and Big Thumbs Down. Simple sleek and clean :)

Apparently Last of Us is making a lot of people cry. I am hearing that from voice actors, publications, and a wife of reviewer (who was watching her husband play and apparently she ended up crying).

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 1:47pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Onyx said:

There's no point in having a 10 point scale.

I generally go by what I read in the reviews more than the points or thumbs a reviewer awards a game.  I have a sort of unconscious 5-step process.

Did the reviewer like the game?  Y/N
Do the reasons the reviewer did/didn't like the game include things I'm interested in?  Y/N
Are there enough of those reasons to reinforce/kill interest?  Y/N
Strongly enough to convince me to/not to buy the game?  Y/N
Strongly enough to convince me to/not to buy the game new?  Y/N

FWIW what I've read about THE LAST OF US gets a Y in all those categories.
Most games I end up playing get a Y Y Y Y N 'cause I'm poor.

Jump to Post

06.06.2013 3:26pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

PS3 exclusive huh

It'd need to be the digital version of the 2nd coming for me to be bothered to get my PS3 out of the draw.

Jump to Post

06.07.2013 12:01am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Getting my copy on the way out of Man of Steel.  I CANNOT WAIT for next week.

Jump to Post

06.07.2013 4:32am

Amer
pew pew pew

I should be getting it on release day...and then leaving on vacation 3 days later arrrrrrrrrrrgh. 

Jump to Post

06.07.2013 8:14am

The Hulk
Good Boy

Already out on the high seas so I guess time to look out for more man on the street type opinions, people whose views aren't paid for.

Jump to Post

06.10.2013 7:10pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Well I've put some time in and, so far at least, it's not even close to justifying the reviews.   Apart from looking pretty (and really, that counts for shit all these days) this doesn't stand out in any notable way.  It feels like a mish mash of ideas from other games that comes together to somehow be less than the sum of it's parts.  The opening was atmospheric and interesting, the rest has been ho-hum bog standard.

(these views subject to change as I spend more time playing obvs)

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter