Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

The biggest Diablo villain will finally die

< Prev 1 2 Next >

09.21.2013 9:18am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

It was just...the DIALOGUE.  Jesus christ.  And the fact they killed Cain like he was nobody and his killer was literally nobody.  

Diablo or DIablo 2's writing wasn't that good.  But it was fucking Shakespeare compared to this mess.  It read like fucking fanfic.  

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

09.21.2013 12:03pm

Kal
yes

It's a good thing either way... but with Grim Dawn (maybe) coming out around that time, I don't think even reinstalling D3 will be worth the trouble.

Jump to Post

09.21.2013 6:23pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I dunno. I thought Diablo 3's story wasn't really any better or worse than the first two games. The dialogue was pretty wretched in those games, too.

Mind you, I don't think a lot of Blizzard's writing in general. I think the only well-written stories they did were Warcraft 3 and most of Wrath of the Lich King.

Jump to Post

09.21.2013 7:34pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Burning Crusade was good.  I liked the vanilla WoW early endgame stories with Ragnaros vs the Black Dragonflight in Blackrock Mountain.  The Scourge stuff was great, too.

Jump to Post

09.21.2013 7:41pm

Seelas
I want to go back.

Blizzard's writing has always been comic book shlock. But it shows a lot more at the seams the more focus they put on it. Writing in D2 was pretty much confined to the occasional CGI sequence and whatever disposable line your character muttered when you eneterd a new zone. You didn't talk, you didn't converse with companions, and it didn't even really attempt much in the way of plotting beyond "follow after Diablo and kill him." It was all very throwaway, but at least it knew it.

Diablo 3 insuls the audience's intelligence with "plot twists" like the definitely not Belial! kid in act 2 or dredging up an uncharacterized shopkeeper from D1 to reveal that she's been evil all along! Like, if we're not supposed to care about the plot, why are you writing so much of it? At some point, the Blizzard creative team fell under the delusion that their cliche, cartoony premises were actually interesting in their own right.

Jump to Post

09.22.2013 1:01am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I still think the problem is Metzen doesn't have a fucking editor.  His first drafts are final drafts.

Jump to Post

09.22.2013 1:06am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

How much of the actual writing is Metzen involved with? Like with WoW there are other people involved with the direction the story goes along with the writing, like Dave Kosak. Who is also really bad.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter