Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

The icantbelieveithasntalreadybeenmade Pokemon Go Thread

07.29.2016 8:28pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Isn't the idea of that (from speculation I've heard) that people would be working TOGETHER?  To beat the legendary Pokemon?  Can't imagine having the 100% absolute best possible Vaporeon could make that much difference in that case.

Jump to Post

07.29.2016 8:34pm

SplittinAdam
Eu sunt Dracul

Colinp42 said:

Isn't the idea of that (from speculation I've heard) that people would be working TOGETHER?  To beat the legendary Pokemon?  Can't imagine having the 100% absolute best possible Vaporeon could make that much difference in that case.
Yes, that's my understanding, and you're probably right... 
I think the FF perfectionist from my childhood is still hiding inside me.

Now, as I look back I see the crooked path that I had been set upon all those years before, leading me inexorably to this moment. I can still see her face in my mind's eye, poor dear Laura, such a sad tale is ours. A tale of heroes who strove to save humanity only to lose our own.

Jump to Post

07.29.2016 8:42pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Funniest part of Pokemon Go for me?  How it's changed the idea of travelling.

My commutes are much more interesting now.  I have the option for part of it of the bus or continuing on the subway - which is usually faster.  But now I try to take the bus whenever possible.  And hope for traffic!

I also have my husband drive whenever we go somewhere together.  Usually I drive.  But I got pokemon to find!  Really psyched for our like 25-minute trip out to a mall tomorrow for all the new poke-possibilities!

Jump to Post

07.29.2016 8:52pm

SplittinAdam
Eu sunt Dracul

Colinp42 said:

Funniest part of Pokemon Go for me?  How it's changed the idea of travelling.

My commutes are much more interesting now.  I have the option for part of it of the bus or continuing on the subway - which is usually faster.  But now I try to take the bus whenever possible.  And hope for traffic!

I also have my husband drive whenever we go somewhere together.  Usually I drive.  But I got pokemon to find!  Really psyched for our like 25-minute trip out to a mall tomorrow for all the new poke-possibilities!
Haha, I understand that completely!  If you select pokestops before you pass them, when you're in range, it'll open up and let you swipe, too!  GPS follows slightly behind, so it's a little tricky, but it definitely works!

Jump to Post

07.30.2016 2:56am

Ramses
Registered Member

I won a gym a day ago, and didn't get a medal or journal entry or nothing. I admit it was taken right afterwards, but still no recogniztion.
Then I tried to win a gym,and I took out the first two, but fell to the third guy.  I healed my team, then I had to fight all three again. Why was that?  Also why can I leave Pokemon to defend some of my team's controlled gyms, then other times I can't?  Also what is this training you're talking about?

2011 FFO Fantasy Football Champion

Jump to Post

08.01.2016 2:52pm

SplittinAdam
Eu sunt Dracul

Hey Ramses;

When you take a gym and place a Pokemon there, you need to go into the Shop.  There's a Defender Shield in the upper-right corner where you can collect your Gold Coins and Stardust,  (Thanks Reido!)

When fighting an opposing gym, if you defeat all of their pokemon, their Gym Prestige drops a level, and it loses one of the Pokemon guarding it.  You'll need to keep battling until only 1 Pokemon is there.  After you defeat it a final time, then you can place your Pokemon.

As for gyms that your team controls, you can train there.  Basically, you pick 1 of your Pokemon, (instead of the 6 you get when battling opposing gyms,) and you fight against your teammate's pokemon.  Everytime you do, the gym gains prestige.  After 2,000 prestige points, the Gym goes up a level.  Once that happens, you can place your Pokemon there as a guardian.  The higher a gym's prestige, the more Pokemon can guard it.

Jump to Post

08.01.2016 3:50pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Jump to Post

08.04.2016 2:56pm

SplittinAdam
Eu sunt Dracul

Hmm, bad news for anyone who plays during a commute: passenger, bus, subway, or taxi.  A server-side API update, done yesterday, really screws with the game's refresh rates.  Basically, moving at any speed faster than 20km/hr makes it nearly impossible to catch any pokemon that are not immediately in front of you.

I think the primary purpose of the update was to screw with people who use bots, and probably to avoid people playing while driving... but this unfortunately really does affect many innocent players.

There was an app-side update earlier this week, too, which changed some of the user interface, and removed the 3-footsteps altogether, (hopefully they're working on a fix for that,) but I've noticed that Pokemon really don't want to stay in their balls since this update.  I've been burning through pokeballs trying to catch low CP crap like Weedles, Rattatas, and Pidgeys.  Higher CP pokemon have been running at a ridiculous rate.  I lost a Razzberry, 2 Great Balls, and 2 Ultra Balls to a CP2XX Onix yesterday. 

Jump to Post

08.04.2016 3:40pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I think the primary purpose of the update was to help with their server problems - since it's now refreshing half as often as it was before.

I am still able to catch some on the bus and train, so not really an issue there.  Really the capture rate change is the main problem for me.  Also the removal of the battery saver option from iOS.  Yeah I doubt it actually helped my battery much, but I liked being able to have it still going in my pocket or bag and not have to worry about accidental screen presses.  I did hear they will be bringing that back "soon" though.

Really I've gotten to kind of a stagnant place.  I have 78 registered in my pokedex, and struggling to find more, since there's no way to actually FIND them.  Yesterday a Porygon showed up in the first slot in my nearby list - which I understand is really rare - but then what?  I had no way to find it other than just wandering in circles.  They need to figure out a tracking system.  Also leveling up becomes a bit ridiculous.  At level 22 I had 330K exp.  It's another 100K exp just to get to level 23.  That is crazy scaling when there is nothing that gets you more exp as you level up.

Jump to Post

08.04.2016 8:05pm

SplittinAdam
Eu sunt Dracul

Agreed.  Given the geographical location of pokemon spawns, it's very difficult to fill the Pokedex.  I'm at 98, and pretty well stuck.  It's VERY seldom that anything new pops up, so I'm stuck farming for pokemon to evolve, namely Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Magikarp, and Dratini.  

I'm right where you are; halfway between level 22 and 23.  Really, my only hope for leveling up now is accruing mass amounts of pokemon to evolve while using a lucky egg.  Either that, or camping outside a gym.  It's just become redundant now, and it seems many trainers feel the same way.  Hopefully Niantic is working hard to fix the tracking issue, and bring new content.

Jump to Post

08.04.2016 8:31pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Gyms are just so pointless.  I don't really know why people care about getting really powerful Pokemon.  It's the easiest thing in the world to take one, and really you have no control over whether you can keep one or not.  So the only point is to tap the screen for a bit once a day to get your 10 coins.

It SHOULD be actual battling.  Like if someone attacks a gym, everyone with a Pokemon gets 5 or 10 minutes to accept the battle, and if you don't then the AI battles for you.  Though I don't know if the attacker would need to wait near the gym that whole time.  But something like that...

Jump to Post

08.04.2016 8:58pm

SplittinAdam
Eu sunt Dracul

I do wonder if they plan on implementing something in training so you can select your own move set; that'd be nice, and a way to increase the popularity and necessity of Gyms.  That being said, the current gym system is certainly flawed, as the attacker has a few distinct advantages: the ability to immediately swap Pokemon, the ability to select their attack pattern, and the ability to dodge.  

One of the rumors I had heard was that a single team holding multiple gyms in a locale could cause their legendary bird to spawn.  Of course that's all speculation, but now that there's a real Articuno out there, the anticipation for the legendaries is reacing a fever pitch.

Jump to Post

08.05.2016 2:31am

Ramses
Registered Member

Had a Bulbasaur shawdow pop up in the first slot, and a Vulpix in the 2nd.  Wanted both, but the Bulbasaur badly, and after walking both blocks it showed, with no luck...I use of of my few incense, and both immediately disappear from the on deck circle, and the nearby list!

The incense wasn't a complete waste as I got 2 Rattatas, and a Pidgey in the 30 minutes!

Jump to Post

08.05.2016 1:44pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Ramses said:

The incense wasn't a complete waste as I got 2 Rattatas, and a Pidgey in the 30 minutes!

I gotta say, I love your positive attitude about this.

Jump to Post

08.05.2016 1:54pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Seems like the nearby MAY show Pokemon right around you, but then again might not.  I had a Muk or a Grimer in my nearby this morning, then a Magmar showed up (which was nowhere on my nearby list).

I think I might be done with gyms. This morning the one I've been taking every morning was held by my team already, and already had 3 Pokemon in it (2 more powerful than anything I have).  I was training to try and level it and put my own in, but at the rate it was going it would take a half hour.  Then I worked to take a blue gym at a T station with 3 Pokemon in it.  Had the one I was going to place first in my list and wasn't using it to battle so no need to heal.  Finally took the gym, and by the time I hit the check on the results screen, the gym was already red.  I just don't have the dedication to this game to compete like that.  And honestly I only want coins for storage upgrades, and if I ever decide I really need them I can just spend $5.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter