Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Unable to transfer downloaded games to new Wii?

11.20.2011 8:44pm
Thread Creator

Scribe
The Taru

Tell me this isn't so... my wii took a shit and all the games I bought from the store now are untransferable to a new console?

Jump to Post

11.20.2011 10:48pm

Sturm
Registered Member

Just found this link with google:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/05/black-wii-upgrade/

[
Thereâ??s just one problem: Nintendo does not offer gamers a way to transfer games purchased online from one console to another. Neither the Wii nor Nintendoâ??s portable DSi consoles have an upgrade path for downloadable content, since games are tied not to user accounts but to specific machines. Itâ??s impossible for a user to copy content from an old console to a new one. Even some Wii owners whose machines have malfunctioned said it was difficult, or impossible, to get Nintendo to transfer the software licenses at its headquarters.

Granted its from a year plus ago, but It seems like you may be able to call customer support and maybe get them to transfer it for you. Seems very unlikely though.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 12:18am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

If you have the chance, you should back up the games to the SD card.  Nintendo allows you to do that now.

As for your current situation?  Try given Nintendo a call and see what they can do to help.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 12:49am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I know from experience that downloaded games on an SD card are only playable on the specific system you bought the games on. The only function SD cards have are to give you additional memory space for your Wii console, if your Wii is finished, even if you backed up the files, you won't be able to play them on another system (not to say that backing up files is a bad idea or anything). I learned that the hard way during a period where my Wii was unavailable to me so I downloaded a total of $60 worth of games to an SD card from my Mom's Wii system only to learn I could not use those games on my Wii once I could use it again.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 2:03am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Well if all else fails just flash your Wii and "pirate" whatever you lost. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

11.21.2011 9:02am

mayofmay
Don't worry, I'm just watching you.

Crono said:

Well if all else fails just flash your Wii and "pirate" whatever you lost. 

I thought we were using the more ethically-neutral term "acquire" in regards to collecting games without paying for them. (Although in these cases, they have paid for their games and would like to continue playing their legally-purchased games on a new system)

Jump to Post

11.24.2011 10:16pm
Thread Creator

Scribe
The Taru

Yeah I'll be flashing the fuck out of a new Wii if there really isn't a way to transfer.

Jump to Post

11.25.2011 3:26am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Hence why I said "pirate" since he already owned them before.  Otherwise I would have said "acquire" or just outright said STEAL. :)

Jump to Post

11.28.2011 5:49pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

If he paid for the games he has every right to pirate them. I don't see how anyone can argue it morally wrong to do so for a game you've bought already and due to no fault of your own was forced to get a new Wii.

Jump to Post

11.28.2011 7:20pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Yeah I bought a used 3DS and low and behold, when I went to the store for the first time I could download all sorts of things that the previous owner had paid for. 

Nintendo purchases are tied to the system. Yeah, it's stupid as fuck. 

Jump to Post

11.30.2011 6:07pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I know that when I first got my Wii I was concerned about that, so I called customer service - the woman said they would work with you to get your purchased games on a new console if your old one fails.  I think you would have to send the old one into them first?

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter