Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Xbox Live accounts hacked

10.31.2011 4:57pm
Thread Creator

Exeter
Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/10/xbox-live-users-experiencing-hacked-accounts-fifa-11-and-12-purchases.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

This happened to me yesterday.  I received an automated call from VISA indicating that possible fraud had been committed with my card, checked my bank account and found that some $125 dollars had been charged by Microsoft.  It was around this time that I received three e-mails from Microsoft confirming the purchase of 10,000 MS points.  I reported the hack, was told that it would take 25 business days to investigate (during which time my account is completely locked, meaning no online, no save games, no Netflix, nothing).  Meanwhile, all the points (plus the few that I'd already had in my account) were used for FIFA-related purchases.

And all this after I'd just opened an account with my local credit union.  I've had the card for less than a week and now I'm going to have to get a new one.

Anyone else had this happen?  The problem seems a lot more widespread than MS is admitting to.

Jump to Post

10.31.2011 5:27pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I've heard about it when it broke a couple of weeks ago.  I can say with certainty that I wasn't affected, as I didn't see any charges.  This is likely related to teh PSN hacks, with people using the same passwords and email address.

Luckily for me, I had a completely different email address for my Xbox Live account.

Jump to Post

10.31.2011 8:52pm
Thread Creator

Exeter
Registered Member

That can't be it; I've never had a PS3.

Jump to Post

10.31.2011 11:57pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

XBL hackings are depressingly common. It's why no one I know keeps their actual credit card attached to XBL, they do everything with paypal or prepaid cards. or things like Visa gift cards.

Jump to Post

11.01.2011 1:36am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Exeter said:

That can't be it; I've never had a PS3.

Guess you were unlucky, then.

Jump to Post

11.01.2011 11:54pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Never heard of it myself. Oh I'm sure it happens like with anything but I've heard of nothing aside from this thread.

Jump to Post

11.02.2011 2:23am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

I heard of someone else in the same boat. Even the same purchases got made.

Jump to Post

11.02.2011 3:00am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple months ago, but Microsoft wouldn't explain to me *how* it happened.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter