Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Characters who die or do not make it to the final battle

< Prev 1 2 Next >

03.19.2013 2:17am
Thread Creator

Lionheart
FNG

Do you use them outside the times when you have to? I generally don't

For example, I never use Aeris. I don't bother level grinding her or even updating her weapons and armor.  Hell, just today I didn't even giver her materia for the Temple of the Ancients.

In Xenogears I rarely use Elly. After Disc 1,  I kinda stop using her.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 2:37am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

VII is the perect comparison starter.  When I played as a kid I would always level up Aeris so she would have her level 4 limit and ultimate weapon.  As an adult though, no, if I know a person is going to be a perma loss I will invest as litte time as possible on them.

HOWEVER,

if you're speedrunning VII you have to keep Aeris in your active party a lot so that she's high enough to survive Temple of the Ancients because she's required there.  But of course if you aren't speedrunning... it's a moot point.

But still normally,  I will leave this character type out.  Life's too busy these days.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 4:07am

Som
Genitals are Funny

When i think about it, i havenn't really played games where a main playable character dies. With FF7 i used Aeris on the first playthrough because i had no idea, but after that the only times i used her was specificly to level her limit breaks before she kicked the bucket.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 4:26am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I can't think of many games where a main character can die, though a couple come to mind.

Aside from FFVII, we also have Chrono Trigger.  I think we know why.

if you played the Devil Survivor games on the DS, you know that you can have party members and potential allies die on you.

Can we count Radiant Historia?  I mean, Stocke was gravely injured and was going to die if those two didn't interfene.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 9:36am
 (Edited on 03.19.2013 at 9:46am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I do it all the time in Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2. Heck you are better off doing it ;)

FF7 is a super easy game, so I do use her in my party until she dies. It's not like you need to levels others up just because you were using Aeries. You've still leveled up the materia she had on which is good enough. It's fun using her. Of course its not iike I extra level her up like Chrono used to, I just play like normal. I think the "missed experience' on aeris is super overrated. You can probably regain that same amount of experience in that dungeon she dies in within like 15  mins of grinding, not the end of the world. RPGs generally make it super easy to quickly level up under leveled chars since level growth is so exponential. 

If a game is difficult I WILL avoid using characters like this though, but for easy games I just pick based on emotion.

This happens in some other games but they usually transfer all that persons stats to the replacement these days. Even FF5 did that. There was a game that did this recently but I can't remeber what it was.  Might have been Legend of Heroes TTS. Oh yeah in Mother 3 you only use flint for the first chapter of the game. I usually avoid leveling him in subsequent playthroughs. 

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 1:52pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Yeah, I also like getting Aeris her final limit break :)

And Elly?  Well she's just a win button - can't imagine not using her.

Jump to Post

03.19.2013 10:14pm

Blayze
Registered Member

Mass Effect 3 spoiler
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I'd used Tali throughout ME2 and 3 but because of my decisions and siding with Legion (I never liked the Quarians aside from Tali), Tali killed herself on her homeworld and I couldn't save her, which surprised me as with such a small group of characters to choose from in 3, I never expected I'd lose one permanently

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 4:31am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

Shinjiro
from Persona 3. I didn't know about the death the first time I played that part of the game (never actually finished it). The second attempt at the game, on the PSP, I used the character a little bit just to change things up.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

03.20.2013 4:55am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Lionheart said:
In Xenogears I rarely use Elly. After Disc 1,  I kinda stop using her.
After disc 1, you kinda stop playing the game.  

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 4:49pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

LOL

Jump to Post

03.25.2013 5:10pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Blayze said:

Mass Effect 3 spoiler
I'd used Tali throughout ME2 and 3 but because of my decisions and siding with Legion (I never liked the Quarians aside from Tali), Tali killed herself on her homeworld and I couldn't save her, which surprised me as with such a small group of characters to choose from in 3, I never expected I'd lose one permanently

Well, the other Quarians are all assholes.

Except Kal "I'll Be In My Bunk" Reeger.  *pours one out for the fallen*

Jump to Post

04.24.2013 7:26pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I used Aeris quite a bit last time I played FFVII, at least when I thought it was appropriate to the story to have her around.  My entire last playthrough was like that.  Resulted in a very leveled Cloud/Barret/Tifa party.

Jump to Post

04.24.2013 9:41pm

maximus asinus
Registered Member

Depends on how invested I am in the character and how useful they were to the party. If Aerith wasn't such a great support character battlewise, then I probably wouldn't use her because she did not establish herself as a compelling character. If Rinoa died during the end game in FFVIII for example, I would keep her in my active party regardless of her death or combat ability because she was the motivation for the protagonist as well as acting as Squall's emotional counterpart, the yin to his yang. If Cait Sith were to die, I would not be compelled to use him because of that, but that might be because he was a terrible character in and out of battle.

Jump to Post

04.25.2013 3:16am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

I too didn't use Elly, because it seemed most magic in Xenogears was crap, and you were better off just doing Deathblows.

Well, recently I got a wild hair up my ass to play the game again, and decided I was going to use Elly no matter what.  I kept her equipped with high-ether abilities, and hot damn, she actually did decent damage, and suddenly her gear was a powerhouse.  Had to sacrifice a lot of defense and such, though.

Her AOE spells were crap, though.  Barely ever hit.

I never use Cid in FF7

For Mass Effect, I never use the human characters.  Kaiden, Ashley, Jacob, Beefy McHugeLarge.  None of them.
Well, I had to use Beefy once, just to see his method of hacking a console.  Briliant.

Jump to Post

04.26.2013 8:49am

Jiro
Registered Member

I don't really discriminate. I use Aeris if I want to, I'll use anybody, even if they die. Don't bother me. I didn't let Ashley/Kaiden die if I was using the character because I wanted to keep them for party balance, but if I had no choice I would still use them anyway. There's something about detaching yourself from a character that really diminishes the point of their death.

In ME2 I loved Mordin and used him for the entire game. On the replay to hit the level cap or achievements or whatever, Mordin died and I was so fucking sad but that's life and I'll get by.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter