Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Fire Emblem Awakening

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

02.06.2013 8:05pm
Thread Creator

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

My wife managed to somehow get her hands on a physical copy of this game and it was worth it. This is a really good, really different sort of Fire Emblem game. In past games, the support mechanic was useful, but could effectively be ignored. In this one, it is at the core of the game. The pairing mechanic, where two units stack, is essential for the hordes of crazy, suicidal enemies that the game throws at you. You can't just take a knight and clog a chokepoint. You need to take a knight, stack something else on him, then clog the chokepoint. Pairing does more than increase stats, though. It gives you a really good chance of double teaming enemies, sometimes sneaking in as many as two extra attacks in a turn while reducing the amount of damage you take and the liklihood of getting hit.  Add on top of that better than ever support dialogues without a cap (excluding the S-ranking, for which each character is only allowed one) and the game ends up a lot more focused on building lattices of group defense rather than using the environment control the flow of enemies.

Enemies no longer sit around until you enter their movement range. They charge you, en masse, heedless to how soon they'll get to you. Going on the offensive is much more difficult because you can't control who will attack whom and when. So old strategies are out, which is actually pretty refreshing. It's probably the most unique game of the US released titles because of the focus on teamwork.

So this game totally lives up to the hype, moreso than Ni No Kuni, IMO. Glad we tracked it down.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 8:51pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I played the demo, when it came out and I loved it so I quickly preordered it. Can't wait to start to start playing the full experience!

Surprisingly, this is my first Fire Emblem game :P

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 9:08pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I pre-ordered it a while ago, but I think I missed the initial cut off as it still hasn't shipped for me.

Do you think Nintendo might have purposedly cut the number of physical units down in order to get more to buy it via the eShop, or was the demand greater than the supply?

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 9:34pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

As far as I know, they didn't anticipate demand. Nintendo usually ships on Sundays, don't know the hell how. The 3DS is starved for a good RPG. Sticker Star didn't live up to the hype, so the last good one was pretty much last summer.

I really wish the console bundle was the XL version. I would have snatched it up. The regular screen is way too tiny.

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 9:53pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

From what I've heard and read, I believe it's more likely the latter. When I picked up my copy yesterday, I just about had a heart attack when the girl said "I'm completely sold out (unnatural pause) unless you preordered."

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 6:17pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

In my quest to find the game last Wednesday, I went to Gamestop. The rep told me that nobody ANYWHERE had the game. Yeah, I found it at Walmart, the next place I went to. Trolling the stores in town, the only other place I saw that had it was Meyer. So far, it's pretty fun. I'm playing easy mode but so what. =P I don't want to see my characters killed after spending hours with them. Anyway, they really spent a lot of effort into the polish, with cut scenes and conversations. I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy marrying my characters off and fighting with their children(maybe). Anyone know which characters are going to be the best party at the end game? That's what I'm going to work towards.

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 11:05pm
Thread Creator

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

My Tactician and Chrom are AWESOME. Like GODLIKE awesome. Everyone else is highly specialized, though I've found Sumia and Vaike to be quite useful on a number of occasions.

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 11:32pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I need to get this, and a 3DS. Fire Emblem Awakening sounds like it's the best game of the series, if not (easily) the most accessible. I'm sure making the permadeath aspect optional (and separate from the overall difficulty of the game apparently) makes the game way more attractive to people who have been scared off by it for previous games.

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 11:36pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I finally got my copy today and well. Best looking 3D ever or BEST LOOKING 3D EVER!

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 11:37pm

Vyers
Dark Adonis

*sees topic*

Google search: Fire Emblem Awakening

Release date(s)

JP - April 19, 2012
US - February 4, 2013
EU - April 2013

:(

Jump to Post

02.09.2013 4:29am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

That's still a thing?

Jump to Post

02.09.2013 11:45am

Glenn565
Registered Member

Nintendo fucking over Europe and Austraila is still a thing, yes.

Jump to Post

02.09.2013 1:50pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I don't play new SRPG games generally because I don't have time in my life to be resetting over perma-death.  Knowing this game has it as optional means I'll definitely grab it one day, but not at full price.  I will always refuse to pay more than 30 bucks for a handheld game. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

02.09.2013 8:29pm
Thread Creator

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Crono, this is the best Turn-Based Strategy Game I've played since Final Fantasy Tactics. And yes, I'm including X-Com: Enemy Unknown and Valkyria Chronicles. The game is amazing. Not getting it because of $10 is not worth it. The game is horribly difficult to find and who knows if Nintendo will ever reduce the price of the digital download?

My only complaint about the game is how enemy reinforcements jump up and attack in the same round. I think this is a first for the Fire Emblem series. In the past reinforcements showed up at the end of the enemy round, but couldn't attack until the next round, giving you a turn to prepare your rear or your flanks. This has caused me at least three resets thus far. Not a major complaint considering the maps are much smaller than those in Radiant Dawn so that it won't take me much time to replay them, but it is very irritating when you are geting close to finishing a map and then a Pegasus Knight shows up out off the edge of the screen and kills my healer.

That said, the writing in this game is absolutely hilarious. Support conversations are one of the big highlights of the game and they really affect how I play since I now go out of my way to set up crack pairings. Many of the characters are painfully funny. The battles themselves are the freshest thing I've seen in the series since it first came out in North America. The pairing and support strategies really change how the game is played and I appreciate that they brought back the world map and random battle so that you can maximize your character interactions and really take your time to enjoy all the weird fun and hilarity the game has to offer.  My wife and I are fighting over the 3DS for turns to play the game. It totally justifies the 3DS.

Jump to Post

02.09.2013 8:36pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

It's only hard to find because Nintendo underestimated how popular it'd be. It's a supply issue I expect to be rectified soon.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter