Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

JRPGs don't grab me like they used to

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.29.2018 3:55pm
Thread Creator

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

This sounds like it's meant to rip JPRG's but it's not. I started playing through Xenoblade Chronicles a couple of months back. It is THEE GAME in my backlog that I have wanted to play more than anything else. I'm about 12.5 hours in (just got to Satorl Marsh) and I have to say I am enjoying the game, but it already feels like a slog to some extent. I felt incredibly disappointed because this was a game that I have literally had sitting in my backlog for six years and I was FINALLY getting around to playing it, and I already feel burned out on it. So I started to think about why and here is what I came up with:

JRPG's just don't grab me like they used to. My issue wasn't with Xenoblade, but with the genre in general so I started to reflect some on JRPG's I've played the past few years. 

Back in 2015 I played Tales of Vesperia, and I loved a lot of things about that game, but it also DRAGGED on towards the end and I found some the characters and tropes to be absolutely atrocious. Just as an example, I found Rita to be one of the most annoying characters in gaming, and I also found the party referring to Raven (you know, the 34ish year old guy who is/was the same age as I was when I played it) as "old man" to be absurd. I still enjoyed the game, but things like this really took away from my enjoyment of it. 

I slogged through Persona 3 for a couple of years. It took me a long time to get through the game more so because of my work schedule, having a baby and not being able to dedicate meaningful time to the game than anything else. But the game had it's problems for me. Social links didn't grab me like I had hoped. They largely weren't meaingful to me like say, walking around the Normandy and talking to everyone after every mission in Mass Effect was/is. Some of them were also just ridiculous. 

I have also been playing Final Fantasy IX on my phone now for a little over a year. The reason it has taken me so long to get through that came has more to do with the fact that I don't particularly like playing on my phone more than anything. But this is a JRPG that absolutely holds up for me. In fact, one of my thoughts playing that game was "How great would it be if Final Fantasy IX were released in 2018 as an open world game?" If done right that could be an amazing single player experience. I played Final Fantasy 7 a few years back and felt that game held up marvelously well. Same with Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest 8. Hell, I played Dragon Quest 3 about a year and a half ago and that game was amazing despite being 25ish years old.

So then there's Xenoblade which does a lot of things right. The voice acting is quite good (love the British voice actors), the combat is a fun take on turn based combat. There's a decent amount of exploration despite the story itself being fairly linear. The plot is interesting and does'nt seem to dive into the power of friendship (yet). I should be loving everything about this game, and I can objectively say it is a good game and what I want from the genre. 

Then I take a look at Western RPGs like Mass Effect, Fallout, Dragon Age, etc. The Xbox 360 era was what introduced me to WRPG's and I fell in love. Mass Effect supplanted Final Fantasy as my favorite game series and it's not even close. Despite it's flaws, I still fire up Mass Effect Andromeda and can just drive around the barren, boring planets in that game doing MMO side quests and listen to the banter between my squadmates. I can fire up Fallout 3 (which I've never actually finished) and just wander the Wasteland aimlessly exploring. And I generally enjoy these experiences more than JRPGs. 

So what's the deal? As I look at some of the examples I've listed above I guess for me one of the things that I really struggle with in modern JRPG's comes down to dialogue, writing and presentation. Persona 3 is a great example. I actually love the overarching plot. High School students who are essentially part of a secret society of sorts trying to solve the mystery of Tartarus, a tower that appears during the Dark Hour, a mystical hour at midnight that only a few people know exists. All while people in the general population are coming down with "Apathy Syndrome" from the creatures that exist within Tartarus and the Dark Hour. It's so different than most JRPG's, and the game generally delivers. But pacing issues (in my opinion), and over the top ridiculousness during some of the social links (Kenji wanting to bone his teacher as one example) really detract from the experience. Yuri from Tales of Vesperia is one of the best protagonsists I can remember in any RPG, but Rita's over the topness and constant berating Raven as "old man" just comes across as silly and somewhat tone deaf in an otherwise solid game. 

This makes me sad. I will still conitnue to play JRPG's even if it makes no sense based on what I am writing here. I know good ones exist, and I can still enjoy them. I have come to determine that my "issues" with Xenoblade have more to do with my inability to get consistent play time due to life/family obligations is preventing me from really diving into that game how I'd like, and that is making it harder to enjoy. 

I'm curious if others have had similar experiences with JRPG's over the years. Do you still enjoy them or do you find yourself drawn to other genres now more? Am I on an island by myself here? 

Jump to Post

05.29.2018 5:13pm

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

I love/hate Xenoblade Chronicles. The text was too small, and towards the end of the game, it gets REALLY grind heavy. I had to do more of the side missions than I wanted to. The characters and the story were interesting, but the game felt like a magic trick. Once you figure out how the trick works, then it isn't as interesting as before. 

I felt the same thing, but then I played Last Ranker, partially translated, and I can't pull myself away from the thing. It was/is so much fun. 

What you are going through happens though. I look at it this way: I'm too poor/busy to keep up with what everyone else is playing in the current time, so I play the games I'm curious about instead of "What is trendy." 

I played through Lufia II this year, and was so surprised at how good it was, I suffered through the encounter insane Lufia I, and it was worth it.

Take this time to just ENJOY gaming for yourself. That has been helpful for me. 

Jump to Post

05.29.2018 6:52pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I think there's been a lack in quality JRPGs. I feel they were a dime a dozen back in the ninties early two thousands, but they just don't seem to come out that often and if they do they don't get any attention. I agree with the slogging aspect, I'm thirty six years old with a family and kid and a full time job. I just don't have the time to play through a really long game like I used to.
That being said I did play through Xenoblade Chronicles and I loved it. The world it took place in, and the characters grew on me. Quests were extremely fetch questy, but I loved seeing monsters on the field that were like level 80 when you were a mere level 10 and you knew you could get strong enough to fight them eventually. I think that's what drove me through the game, also the soundtrack was great and I still find myself humming some of the tunes or listening to it at work. Colony 9's night town theme is really relaxing.

The last major JRPG I played through that didn't feel like a slog was Persona 5. It is simply the flashiest most stylistic RPG I have ever played. The beginning was a little slow, but the storyline was engaging as well as the social life aspects. If you liked Persona 3 at all I would highly suggest 5 which is a huge improvement.

For me when it comes to gaming I need quick and easy games right now. A few rounds in street fighter five or mario kart before I go to bed at night until my schedule calms down a little bit.

Jump to Post

05.29.2018 11:45pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Yeah, now you know how I felt when I played FFX and the old man in the party was... a year older than me!

I've been over them for a while now, at forty eight I simply stand too removed from the stories of sixteen year olds (many times in the company of at least one ten year old or so) saving the world, and when they go all "oooh grown ups are EVIL! it's up to us kids to show them their ways!" (looking at you, P5) well, you can see how I can be over them.
Plus, the same character archetypes over and over, I'm done.

The last ones I played, i still love and I'm thinking I'll always love, but that's because I experienced them when I was younger and more receptive.

And Rita annoying?? HSSSSS! I love Rita!

Jump to Post

05.31.2018 12:38am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I can understand how some parts of JRPGS aren't appealing (younger cast, coming of age story) but I don't think that's the root of the reason. Plenty of adults enjoy things like Pokemon and Toy Story. You might try looking into some more mature themed RPGS with less anime tropes. Also, JRPGs are meant to be played in long play sessions. I can never get into them when I'm busy and only have a few minutes to play each day but when I go through a cycle where I have hours of free time I really enjoy them.

I dont like how Raven was called an old man either but a lot of my friends jokingly call me an Old man because of how I am so I was actually able to relate. I just chose to Interpret it as heckling rather than them thinking he is old. I would chalk that up to poor localization personally.

Then again I myself have never played RPGs for the purpose relating to anyone. I like playing as someone else's shoes. the fact that I'm not a kid anymore is all the more reason for me to enjoy these role of playing these young teens discovering who they are. To each their own on that. I am more drawn to the method of storytelling rather than the story itself nowadays and I like how JRPGs tell their stories because I am able to become invested in a way that I can't with other genres.

But I still think you should seek out more mature themed JRPGs and see if it helps you.

There's no reason you have to enjoy them though. It's perfectly fine to give up on the genre and stick with other stuff. You should do what makes you happy.

Jump to Post

05.31.2018 3:16am
Thread Creator

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

^

Any thoughts on mature related JRPGs?

I know I'm under no obligation to play these games....I think part of it is a sense of nostalgia from childhood. Heck, JRPG's are why I still post on this message board 18 years after I first discovered it. 

I think the point about JRPG's being meant to be played in long play sessions is a good one. I can probably get more than an hour once every other week or so which makes it really hard to make progress. But if I can get 2 or 3 days in a row in on Xenoblade I'm chomping at the bit to dive in some more. 

Jump to Post

06.01.2018 5:57am

Scribe
The Taru

I have had a feeling for a long time that there is a MASSIVE opportunity to make a JRPG that could take me back to the feelings I had with pre-FFX games. Nobody knows what the formula is I guess. I feel like the imagination has left them and the battle systems have become overly complex. But the opportunity is always there.

Jump to Post

06.02.2018 11:35pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Inquisitor said:

^

Any thoughts on mature related JRPGs?

I know I'm under no obligation to play these games....I think part of it is a sense of nostalgia from childhood. Heck, JRPG's are why I still post on this message board 18 years after I first discovered it. 

I think the point about JRPG's being meant to be played in long play sessions is a good one. I can probably get more than an hour once every other week or so which makes it really hard to make progress. But if I can get 2 or 3 days in a row in on Xenoblade I'm chomping at the bit to dive in some more. 

If you haven't played the originals, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology (3DS) and Odin Sphere Leitrasir (PS4) are both excellent. Also, Octopath Traveler is coming out in July for the Switch and it looks like to be the magical JRPG we're all looking for.

I hear great things about Nier Automata as well but I haven't played it yet, but I heard the story is fantastic. Nier 1 which I'm playing now has a great maturely themed story, and the main character is 40-45 years old.

Jump to Post

09.20.2021 10:18pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I've rekindled my love for JRPGs ever since I played Dragon Quest XI. Shockingly, I had never played the Dragon Quest series. It was a major blind spot.

Since then I've also played DQVIII on my 3DS and I just started playing DQIX as well.

Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I'm not that interested in a "mature" story, whatever that means. I'm 37, and I want it to be in a high-fantasy setting. I want to be told a fairy tale. Just entertain me. I get enough "maturity" in real life.

Jump to Post

11.10.2021 5:34am

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

I recommend Dragon Quest V to your DQ experience. I'm not done yet, but it marries deeper, somewhat darker storytelling with the typical DQ stylings.

It also has a villain as good as Kefka, but instead of enjoying him, you really, really want to kill him.

It deserves it's place among the best SNES rpgs for sure, but the android port of the DS remake is pretty nice too.

Jump to Post

11.15.2021 12:02am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

My understanding is that IV-VI form a trilogy, so I want to play them in order.

Jump to Post

11.25.2021 2:29am

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

I inadvertently stumbled into VI first, played through about half of the room, and the translation kind of ended, but it didn't have any references to V. The Android ports of the DS games are good though. The joystick can be a little weird, but all in all, it works well.

Also, if you like high fantasy, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen might be worth looking into. Its my longest played RPG. It's more fun just to mess around in, than actually follow the story. (Which is a mess due to budget cust during development.)

Jump to Post

12.27.2021 1:17pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Atma Weapon said:

My understanding is that IV-VI form a trilogy, so I want to play them in order.

I don't think any mainline FFs are connected. There's that "FFX is FFVII's future" or something but I still refuse to accept that lol. The only connection between IV-VI is that they're all from the SNES era.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

12.28.2021 11:15pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Indiana Jerico said:

I don't think any mainline FFs are connected. There's that "FFX is FFVII's future" or something but I still refuse to accept that lol. The only connection between IV-VI is that they're all from the SNES era.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Yeah, but we are talking about Dragon Quest, not Final Fantasy.

Jump to Post

06.13.2022 2:28am
 (Edited on 06.13.2022 at 2:37am)

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I am finally playing Dragon Quest VII. Currently less than half way through, but holy shit this is an amazing RPG. Totally hooked. Enjoying it even more than VIII so far. It is a massive game especially for the late 90s. And it is just dawning in me that FF released 3 titles in the PS1, while DQ only released one. This is some serious attention to craft. Also, the lewd humor, which is my only real complaint about the series, is toned down a bit (at least so far).

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter