Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

ME3 (Where we discuss things other than the ending)

< Prev 1 ... 23 24 25 26 Next >

03.12.2013 6:23pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Been playing the DLC since I got it the other day. There are so many great jokes and references to past events and jokes in the series that it's hard not to get wrapped up in the lighter, campier tone of the DLC. Plus, I just met
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Blasto
, and that pretty much automatically makes this one a win for me.

Jump to Post

03.12.2013 6:25pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

You are going to cost me money, Ashilyn.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

03.12.2013 6:30pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Shiiiiiiit, sold, oh god I'm such a fanboy for this game.

Jump to Post

03.12.2013 6:37pm
 (Edited on 03.12.2013 at 7:08pm)

Ashilyn
Career GM

I willl admit, the core plot of the DLC is campy, and not always in a good way, and the big twist on who wants Shepard dead is like something pulled of a b-tier sci-fi movie rather than the epic space opera that Mass Effect is. But it's fun and the dialogue choices, banter, level design, the EVERYTHING ELSE is very, very good. Plus, it includes my new favourite dialogue choice, when faced with the big bad of the DLC, your choices are
Paragon: "I'm going to end you."
Renegade: "I'm going to end you painfully:"
Followed by a hilarious set of Renegade interrupts that, if you have Javik with you, will make him proclaim "FINALLY!" in joy.

If you're not big into DLC, I wouldn't sayimmediately run out and buy it, because I'm sure it'll go on sale eventually on XBLA or PSN (probably not on PC, but you can get it other ways on PC), but if you've ever been a big fan of the series, you really should give it a go. Don't let the ending or anything else get you down. Revel in this last good bye to ME and it's original cast. It's worth it. Plus it's a pretty decently long DLC, took me most of the day yesterday to get through the core story. Was genuinely surprised by that. I still have a lot after the main story ends to do, though.

Oh man, they included a way to include Thane after his death
via a memorial service, held by Kolyat. I'm not gonna lie, I kinda teared up. It's that kind of moment T_T

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 3:13am

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

Not to stir the pot on the whole ME3 ending conversation again a year later, but I found these two articles interesting as they seem to be the dissenting voices of the Citadel DLC. Spoilers obviously for anyone who cares to read them regarding the DLC. 

https://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3s-citadel-bad-for-the-game-maybe-bad-for-the-future/
https://www.koobismo.com/2013/03/the-pinnacle-of-fanservice-a-citadel-dlc-review/

Personally, while I enjoyed Citadel, a lot actually (especially after getting through the main mission portion) I actually agree with a lot (not everything) of what is in these articles. Are the authors taking things too seriously a year after ME3 was released? Probably. But it's still pretty interesting IMO. 

And in fairness, I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping Citadel was something more like 5-6 missions that integrated ME2 squadmates and Wrex into temporary playable characters, and the plot was more focused on something that the Council was hiding regarding the Reapers and ultimately had a Harbinger tie-in. Maybe that's just me still being butthurt over the direction of the narrative at the end of ME3, but it was a weird game because even when I finished it I knew there'd be DLC adding to the story in some way or another so until Citadel was released I never really felt I've been done with it. 

Anyways, some interesting reads that I thought I'd pass along. 

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 3:57am

Ashilyn
Career GM

But if you enjoy it and you say so and you spend money on it, you might be confirming BioWareâ??s stated suspicions: that you just needed a happy ending.

That was about where I immediately closed the page on the first "review" (and I use the term loosely), because that reviewer is a fucking idiot. Most of the rest of it was stupid, but that takes the cake. I didn't need a happy ending and I still don't care about one. I just wanted more Mass Effect and enjoyed my campy and slightly out of place, but ultimately fun and hilarious DLC. Which is all it really should be taken for (that, and yes, it is fanservice, but I'm still trying to figure out when that became a bad thing. I don't think it's pandering, though, which is something else entirely), and this guy clearly is reading way too far into things, just like every other idiot fan still butthurt over the ending. Hell, he even goes as far as to invent situations and possibilities just to validate his thoughts on the DLC and it's purpose. That's desperate, man.

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 5:20am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I liked the second link a lot more.  He did a much better job of explaining his position without coming off like a complete douche.

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 3:47pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

The Citadel DLC was a fantastic piece of fan service. The dialogue was hilarious throughout and it was one more moment for me to enjoy having Wrex as a party member. God I missed Wrex for most of ME2...

Jump to Post

05.17.2013 4:48pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

So I wake up after the party and there's this datapad by my bed and it's a message from Mordin and

all the feels.

Also I haven't laughed at a game as much as I laughed at Citadel in a long time, maybe ever.  Traynor's toothbrush?  Zaeed at the crane game?  Fucking Javik!

Though,
I liked Brooks more when she was a doofy-ass tech.  I was real super annoyed when she turned on us.  What.  A.  Waste.

Jump to Post

05.18.2013 4:18pm

maximus asinus
Registered Member

I felt that the Citadel DLC wasn't totally out of place if you acknowledge the events that lead up to the point where you were intended to play it.
Thessia was burning, the information on the catalyst was stolen, the emotional toll it took on Shepard and the crew
I think it makes sense to throw something to try and boost morale before you hit the end game. Maybe the party atmosphere was a little too light and the dialogue throughout a little cheesy but overall I think most of what happened fit perfectly into the Mass Effect universe.

There are a few things I would change in the main story though 
the whole toothbrush thing, and the dialogue / end sequence with Shepard's clone / Brooks
because the former wasn't funny and the latter didn't have as big a payoff as I would liked.

Jump to Post

05.18.2013 4:33pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I think the Citadel is officially supposed to be played before Thessia, so you're still on the emotional high of completing various tasks in the plot.

Jump to Post

05.18.2013 4:42pm
 (Edited on 05.19.2013 at 5:37am)

maximus asinus
Registered Member

Zubis said:

I think the Citadel is officially supposed to be played before Thessia, so you're still on the emotional high of completing various tasks in the plot.
If you play it before Thessia I don't think you have access to Miranda during the party and combat simulator. They allow you access even before you get Tali too. I think they open the DLC up to you early so you don't zip past it before the end game.

Just finished my insanity playthrough (and 100% all achievements) marking the first time I have completed the game since Bioware tacked on that altered ending. It still sucks. It might be worse than I remembered.

Jump to Post

07.10.2013 3:42pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

I finished the game last night, but apparently I "bought" the extended cut DLC but never downloaded it, so I went into the final mission with only 3500 EMS which would have been enough to get the good ending WITH the DLC but to my disdain, I got to see the awful ending.

Does anyone know when the endings are decided? I still have a save in the middle of Priority: Earth and I really don't want to replay the whole Cerberus and Earth missions again.

Jump to Post

07.10.2013 3:46pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I believe it's before the last Cerberus mission, since that's where it boots you once you beat the game and autosave.

Jump to Post

07.11.2013 4:03am

KyleIII
Registered Member

Just FYI, every ending is the awful ending.

Also, the only thing you need an EMS score that high to unlock is a five-second clip that only plays at the end of the destroy ending. Everything else is the same.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 23 24 25 26 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter