Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Mass Effect 3 Ending Discussion (May Have Unmarked Spoilers)

< Prev 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 Next >

07.02.2012 1:57am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Bioware's been really dodgy on what stages of production the game is in - I suspect any team that's on it, the game's either in late preproduction or the early stages of development. Would make sense with some of the things theyve said and asked of fans.

Anyway, the first two poins of Zubis' are more or less things we've known would be the case since before ME3 even came out. What I'm curious to see is if Casey Hudson sticks to his guns about not wanting to do a game post ME3, if that was just bravado in the face of controversey, or if BioWare'll have someone else head up a sequel if he does stick to his guns.

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 2:30am

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

I'm going to be really disappointed if the Retake Omega DLC doesn't become a reality. 

I don't want to see a prequel. Honestly everything and anything tied to Shepard (and in my mind prequels are tied to that because they ultimately tie in to Shepard's story) I am just done with. Give me something new and in the future - so far in the future that the events of ME1-ME3 are irrelevant. Or move it to another galaxy or something. That is ultimately what I would like to see happen. Either way, anxiously awaiting to see what direction BioWare takes things. 

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 7:30am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I'm pretty sure Zubis' No. 4 point specifically has to do with the ME team, which is entirely separate from its Dragon Age team.

Also in light of the extended endings, Casey Hudson is either full of it or an ME4 (without Shepard) will be done whether he likes it or not. EA won't let one of its most popular series be stuck in prequel land. And Casey Hudson will either have to bow to his corporate masters' desires or he can start looking for employment elsewhere.

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 10:01am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

As long as there are Krogan, I'm happy.

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 1:12pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Prequels can imply a lack of confidence in the future of a franchise (see Kingdom Hearts), so I really hope they aren't going down that route. There are a few exceptions - Halo Reach due to the transition of Bungie - that come to mind, but they're few and far between.

Something "big" is being announced in the Mass Effect universe this weekend at Comic Con. Bioware's definition of big and mine seems to be quite different; I don't see anything other than DLC being announced.

Unless of course they announce ME3: The Extended Director's Cut ;)

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 4:09pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Zubis said:

Prequels can imply a lack of confidence in the future of a franchise (see Kingdom Hearts), so I really hope they aren't going down that route. There are a few exceptions - Halo Reach due to the transition of Bungie - that come to mind, but they're few and far between.

Something "big" is being announced in the Mass Effect universe this weekend at Comic Con. Bioware's definition of big and mine seems to be quite different; I don't see anything other than DLC being announced.

I don't really agree with that, there's plenty of good prequals out there (and plenty of crap, but the first part is the important part). Kingdom Hearts is a bad example, since it's only had one prequal that was already in the concept stages when KHII was being finished (and actually does a lot for the series lore, if you're into that), and everything else since has been some form of sequel/retelling (Coded/Re:Coded and Dream Drop Distance) or interqual (358/2 Days).

I wouldn't mind a single ME prequal, maybe two, set during the first contact war or something - that's more than easy enough to seperate from Shepard while still giving insight into characters like Anderson or Ashley's father. It's not where I'd want the franchise to go on a permenant basis, but I wouldn't mind a temporary diversion in that direction. But this big announcement is probably related to teh James Vega anime movie, or at least I would think since the announcement is at ComiCon. I figure they're going to finally give out a release date and probably announce the next DLC.

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 4:45pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Zubis said:

New addition to the fourth ending, Starchild gets a trollface.

The problem with prequels in the ME universe is that the timeframe is really tiny unless we go aliens only. Unless it's a spinoff into an outright shooter, I honestly think the First Contact War would be terrible for an action RPG in Bioware's style.

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 4:48pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I'm with Ashilyn in regards to a prequel taking place during the First Contact War.

But if we're going sequel, it should be far enough into the future that the events of the Mass Effect trilogy become irrelevant

Jump to Post

07.03.2012 1:35pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if ME4 (or ME3.5 as it were) is set during ME3.  There's so much going on in the story that the player never sees, there's a lot of potential for SP campaigns or MP stuff.

I want a First Contact War game from the Turian perspective.  That would be something different.

Jump to Post

07.03.2012 5:09pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Huh, I never thought of that. Yeah they could easily pull an ODST.

Jump to Post

07.03.2012 6:06pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

That would be really interesting, especially when you add Saren back into the mix.

Jump to Post

07.04.2012 12:24am

Lucent
Dip Trip Flip Fantasia

Zubis said:

It's going to be the ME-universe movie that they started talking about a while back.

Jump to Post

07.04.2012 12:53am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Eeh. I think it's too soon for talk about that. I still think it's going to be something about the anime movie.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 7:38am

KyleIII
Registered Member

Just finished replaying the game and saw the extended ending for the first time. It was definitely better than the originals, but still doesn't fix what is by far the biggest problem with the ending: the fact that you only win because your enemy basically gives up and says you can. It would've helped a lot if they would've had the Starchild pleading with you not to choose destroy or control, instead of bascially saying, "You can kill us all if you want to, whatever." Would've been even better if it had been Harbinger talking to you at the end instead of the child anyway, but whatever.

The not-retcon retcons are pretty funny too, but at least they showed that they listened to their fans. Looks like it sunk in that destroying the relays would lead to a doomsday scenario for the galaxy based on the rules that they established, and somehow magically gave the races the ability to fix them. It also changed the crash-landing and "my sweet" scenes from embarrassing to just pointless.

I've still got so many little quibbles with the way the ending and the game itself was handled, but I'll give it a rest. From the beginning the Mass Effect series has had an amazing setting, fun characters, and awful plots, so I guess it's fitting it ends that way.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 11:27am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I can't picture any Mass Effect sequel not being affected by the choice you make in the ending w/o calling it BS. No matter how far into the future it is. The way the endings were constucted you either had "everlasting peace", "impending war with Synthetics", or that "fourth ending". These endings were meant to drastically change the course of history for a long time.

Also how will they explain certain plot elements like in Synthesis. Merging organic and synthetic DNA does seem like something that changes the course of Humanity. They can't expect to have the same set of cultures or beliefs as if we have humans with syntetic DNA or none.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter