Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Mass Effect 3 Ending Discussion (May Have Unmarked Spoilers)

< Prev 1 ... 53 54 55 56 Next >

07.05.2012 5:21pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

I can easily see it - it's called "Bioware picks a canon ending and runs with it". It's not unprecedented. Or they pull a KotOR2 and have you make choices at the beginning. But anything else ME will probably be on a new engine on a new generation of consoles - I doubt we'd be able to import our save games, and that'll probably force them to start fresh.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 5:25pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Well wasn't the Synthesis ending the one they said was canon all along?

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 5:37pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

As long as they don't pull a Deus Ex 2 and answer the "which ending was canon" with "Yes." DX2's plot was a mess partially because they tried to work all three of DX1's endings into DX2 as canon. Of course, this was also in the days before saved game imports became a thing.

I think the problem with the Synthesis ending is that it makes it the hardest to do a sequel about, so if that's the canon ending, Bioware better have some damn good ideas about how to make that work for an ME4.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 7:07pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

reido said:

The way I look at it is this:
Defining it as the Illusive Man's choice isn't really giving Control any credit, and also not really giving Shepard (at least if you're a Paragon) any credit, and the game itsn't doesn't help when it's all, "THIS IS WHAT THE IM WOULD HAVE CHOSEN".

The IM would have chosen to control the Reapers.... specifically for the benefit of humanity.  He would be ending the war and then having a big hyperdestructive knife at the throat of the rest of the galaxy.  Shepard, or at least my Shep and probably most Paragon Sheps, would be choosing to control to Reapers specifically to benefit the galaxy as a whole.  That's why I don't see it as being "the Illusive Man's choice", because the results and the goals are fundamentally different.

That's a fair distinction and yeah not what my normal paragon shep would do either but the poster boy for control in the series is the IM, hence the shortform referral. He also represents a sadly fading theme/option throughout the series and that's the human-first agenda. Given the state of the galaxy by ME3 I can see why Bioware limited Shep from those kinda choices but that's still too bad that you can't be Xenophobe Shep as much as you could in the previous ME's, it was a fun way to play. Then again when I think on it you could probably tell a lot of the races to go eff themselves still so Xenophobe Shep is getting thrown a bone a bit. And there's no reason that a Xenophobe Shep couldn't be a paragon to some extent, much the same as most paragons made some renegade calls and renegades finding some paragon choices to work for them. It's the same sort of reasoning that allowed for a paragon to agree with the IM during ME2 or a renegade to tell IM to eat it because you don't push around Shep.

I kinda wish they could have made slight distinctions with Control and Destroy depending on how your Shep came to that conclusion but ah well a person can reason in most things they expect I guess. Synthesis seems to have less variables so I'm not sure about that one yet. It's a bit of a weak setting for a sequel too so while it's the ending that rocks the boat the least (...or the most? bah) so I'd rather have some other ending as canon.

Jump to Post

07.06.2012 1:42pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I just did Synthesis on my Adept last night, actually, and while it acts like it's different, it's (still) pretty much the same as Control.  Shep evaporates, just after jumping into a beam instead of grabbing some joysticks this time, waves goes out, Reapers and ground forces back off.  Slideshow mostly focusing on how the Reapers and the non-Synthetics work together to fix up the galaxy... just without Shep being behind the metaphorical wheels, and oh yeah everyone has goofy circuit-board lights on their skin and clothing.  Also EDI narrates instead of GodShep.

I felt really weird choosing it, because this Shep is pretty similar decisions wise to my previous Shep, and Control still seems like the Best Possible Scenario choice.  Considering a full trilogy playthrough as BroShep where he's specifically synthetiphobic and doesn't accept the Geth as a potential ally even back in ME2, because that's about the only way I could justify choosing Destroy.

Something I realized watching the ending last night:  ME4/3.5 will probably be about Coats, and will probably be set on Earth.  That dude has Spin-Off Character written all over him.  He's got a whole trailer to himself, and spends the entire Earth sequence acting like you should know who he is already.

Jump to Post

07.06.2012 3:13pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Tristan said:

That's a fair distinction and yeah not what my normal paragon shep would do either but the poster boy for control in the series is the IM, hence the shortform referral. He also represents a sadly fading theme/option throughout the series and that's the human-first agenda. Given the state of the galaxy by ME3 I can see why Bioware limited Shep from those kinda choices but that's still too bad that you can't be Xenophobe Shep as much as you could in the previous ME's, it was a fun way to play. Then again when I think on it you could probably tell a lot of the races to go eff themselves still so Xenophobe Shep is getting thrown a bone a bit. And there's no reason that a Xenophobe Shep couldn't be a paragon to some extent, much the same as most paragons made some renegade calls and renegades finding some paragon choices to work for them. It's the same sort of reasoning that allowed for a paragon to agree with the IM during ME2 or a renegade to tell IM to eat it because you don't push around Shep.

I play my bigoted Femshep first and foremost by having her treat humans well and screw over aliens at every opportunity, which shouldn't be an issue in ME3.  There's more to it than that (she didn't use Garrus and Tali's ship upgrades in ME2 because she didn't trust them to install anything on her ship), but while bigoted rants a la Mel Gibson would certainly be a nice touch, they aren't necessary for me.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

07.06.2012 3:19pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I don't know, I kind of liked the Synthesis ending - the whole "I am alive" thing.  Especially because I had helped push EDI and Joker together. 

I started playing my renegade FemShep engineer on Insanity (started at level 30, no problems so far).  But I think I'm only going to go the control ending.  Other than hearing Jennifer Hale voice that one ending, I don't see any reason to see the others as a renegade.

Jump to Post

07.10.2012 9:46pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Leviathan DLC confirmed - by Leviathan's voice actor.

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/07/10/voice-actor-confirms-mass-effect-3-leviathan-dlc

Jump to Post

07.10.2012 10:45pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Doesn't a rogue reaper kinda fuck with Starchild's side of things? Seems more in line with how some fans had hoped reapers would be like.

Could be awesome though.

Jump to Post

07.13.2012 5:47am

Vegeta X
Registered Member

Tristan said:

Doesn't a rogue reaper kinda fuck with Starchild's side of things? Seems more in line with how some fans had hoped reapers would be like.

Could be awesome though.

Well the fact that the Leviathan info was found in the Extended Cut DLC might be proof that it will have some impact on the ending.

I think it would be great if Harbinger and Leviathan square off.  

Jump to Post

07.13.2012 6:22pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Colinp42 said:

I don't know, I kind of liked the Synthesis ending - the whole "I am alive" thing.  Especially because I had helped push EDI and Joker together. 

Yeah the extended ending for Synthesis actually made me feel better about picking it over Destroy.  Still BS my Shepard had to die, probably would have been better if Shepard at least become a brand new Humanoid Reaper.

Jump to Post

07.13.2012 6:40pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Oh, speaking of that...why do all reapers look the same?  I thought they're supposed to be representative of the society they were made from, and that's why we had the humanoid reaper being built.  So why do they all look like sort of fishy things?

Jump to Post

07.13.2012 6:48pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Because it would cost too much money to render them all differently?

Jump to Post

07.13.2012 10:49pm
 (Edited on 07.14.2012 at 12:25am)

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

The concept sketches for the humanoid reaper were originally more reaper-ish and squid like.

So maybe it was to get a standard reaper casing as it was completed.

Jump to Post

07.13.2012 11:05pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

I watched the trailer of the anime.

Nope.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 53 54 55 56 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter