Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Namco doing some good with Tales of Xillia

04.12.2013 4:15pm
Thread Creator

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

So not only is Namco bringing Tales of Xillia over to the NA and EU markets, but is also offering a Collector's Edition for them.  It's not cheap, but you get some pretty good stuff with it.

I've seen some of the english trailers for it and, I have to be honest, I'm not digging Millia's VA.  The game itself looks fun, but that's always a good thing with Tales of games.

Here's a trailer for you guys:

Jump to Post

04.12.2013 4:44pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I can't decide if I'm going to get this at launch or not.  I usually fully support a flagship Tales but my backlog is so retarded that I might wait for it to hit $40.  Graces was a bit underwhelming to me with the combat changes and (IMO) crappy post game story.  Still, can't turn down some good ARPG with LMBSX2BBQ fighting!

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

04.12.2013 6:40pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Hnnnnnng.  This reminded me I still want to play Graces F.

And also this one.

And I need to finish my replay of Abyss.

And also Persona 4.

Thanks for reminding me how deep and neglected by RPG backlog is, Tales.

Jump to Post

04.15.2013 9:09am

Old Juan
filled with hate

I'll probably get this, if only to support and encourage Namco to localize Xilla 2, which looks fantastic from all the gameplay videos I've watched and unlike the the first game is actually fully realized. The first Xilla was rushed by Namco in order to come out on the 15 aniversary of the series. Because of the rushed nature of the title, Hideo Baba and his team were not able to put everything in that they originally intended and the game doesn't have the kind of polish and extra's the most of the other games in the series have. For example out of all the playable characters in Xilla 1, only Jude and Milla have complete movesets. The other playable characters in the game have maybe half what woudl be normal for a tales game.

Graces F was good but not great. Despite actually importing the PS3 version of Vesperia, I'm still a bit bitter about that because it's the goddamn version that should have been released on 360 to begin with wasn't. The amount of extra content in the PS3 version is considerable and eleveates the experience. Even then Namco botched the release of Vesperia up in general by making the damn thing an 360 exclusive for any period of time. The Japanese Tales fanbase has always been considerably larger than that of the western and they decided to release that game on a system that the majority of Japanese gamers don't own. Couple that with the fact that many of the western gamers who owned the 360 either were'nt RPG gamers at all or if they were they were playing the western style games in that genre. Even Vesperia never sold as well as they wanted it too overall. Again the marketing of the game was fairly poor over here in general. The only reason I knew about it was because I was a fan of the series but this was clearly a situation in which the goal should have been to add to the fanbase.

Unfortunately we're at a crossroads of sorts. Xillia is really the last chance that western gamers are going to have to convince Namco that there's an interest for the series in the western territories. The company has already gone on record about how disappointed they were with the sales of Graces F, given the piss poor marketing along with releasing the game around the same time Final Fantasy XIII-2, I'm not entirely sure what they were expecting but this seems to be a trend with the bigger companies not really marketing their more niche series to the western territories. If Xillia doesn't do well enough then we can kiss any future localizations goodbye. Especially given the overall nasty and hostil repuation that western fanbase that is present has aquired. 

Nice trailer. The voice actor for Jude I believe is Sam Riegel, who also voiced Flynn Scifo from Vesperia. Use damn near the exact voice. I don't have problem with Milla's voice. Her character is supposed to be more regal in nature and IMO the voice fits.

Jump to Post

04.15.2013 4:22pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

I started playing Tales of Grades f a little over a week ago, and it has, so far, probably been wone of the worst RPGs I've played of this generation (it has no-so-affectionately been nicknamed Tales of Balls). About the only thing about it I've liked is the fact that it actually has voiced skits this time. Thankfully, Everything I've seen and heard about Xillia sounds better, so  really cannot wait to give that game a go. I seem to be one of the only peopel who likes Millia's voice so far, though, which surprises me.

Jump to Post

04.15.2013 4:33pm
Thread Creator

CaButler

Ashilyn said:

I started playing Tales of Grades f a little over a week ago, and it has, so far, probably been wone of the worst RPGs I've played of this generation (it has no-so-affectionately been nicknamed Tales of Balls). About the only thing about it I've liked is the fact that it actually has voiced skits this time. Thankfully, Everything I've seen and heard about Xillia sounds better, so  really cannot wait to give that game a go. I seem to be one of the only peopel who likes Millia's voice so far, though, which surprises me.

I get the feeling that you're still in the prologue, with them as kids.  The game picks up pretty fast after that.

Jump to Post

04.15.2013 7:54pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I've fallen out of love with the Tales series really hard. I probably would've been salivating over Xillia like 5 years ago. But now, I couldn't give a damn. Vesperia was a pretty big disappointment outside of Yuri and even Abyss, a game I loved when it first came out, now has a lot of nagging issues that really ruin the game for me.

Jump to Post

04.15.2013 8:26pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

Onyx said:

I've fallen out of love with the Tales series really hard. I probably would've been salivating over Xillia like 5 years ago. But now, I couldn't give a damn. Vesperia was a pretty big disappointment outside of Yuri and even Abyss, a game I loved when it first came out, now has a lot of nagging issues that really ruin the game for me.

Abyss, to be more precise the PS2 version, has a few game ending gliches that can happen without warning. I do believe these were fixed for the 3DS version. My big problem with Abyss and this was a major issue I had with Vesperia as well was the sheer amount of missable content. You really needed to have a guide while playing it or else you ended up missing quite a lot.

Even I'll admitt that I don't enjoy Vesperia as much as I used to, the story starts up interestingly enough but then sloggs down to snail pace for almost entire middle of the game before picking back up at the very end and when you throw all that in with the easily missable content, it can almost can swing the experience in the complete opposite direction. Yuri was awesome, but the I felt with the exception of Karol and Estelle that Vesperia's cast was pretty solid overall.

Jump to Post

04.15.2013 10:34pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Yeah, I think the Tales games just don't age well as we, well, age.  Abyss was one of my top 5 rps when I played it the first time.  My second playthrough 2 years later was still great, but I could tell some things just weren't as big a hit with me.  I bet if I replayed it now I'd find it way too long and I'd HAVE to buy the 3DS version because the loading times were just flat out retarded on PS2.

I think I'll still enjoy Xillia but nowhere as much as I probably would have 5-6 years ago. 

Jump to Post

04.15.2013 11:04pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

My biggest problems with Abyss were the tons of missable content that you had no way of knowing about outside of dumb luck or looking at a guide. And the pacing was atrocious. The game meandered about way too much. And just as the story was getting somewhere, it got sidetracked somewhere else. Most of the cast, heroes and villains, annoy the piss out of me now. Except for Jade. Jade will forever be awesome.

Jump to Post

04.16.2013 2:54am

kjonez
with a Z

As someone who's last 'Tales' game was either Phantasia or Destiny, would it be worth it to check out any of the 'newer' console games? I really did enjoy those games, even though it feels like forever ago. 

Jump to Post

04.16.2013 3:06am

Old Juan
filled with hate

kjonez said:

As someone who's last 'Tales' game was either Phantasia or Destiny, would it be worth it to check out any of the 'newer' console games? I really did enjoy those games, even though it feels like forever ago. 

I'm don't know what system/s you own.

PS3 has Graces F
PS2 and 3DS has Abyss, if you have a 3DS, then I'd suggest going for that one as the PS2 version has some major game ending gliches and abhorent load times.
XBox360 has Vesperia

Given all of these can be obtained a pretty reasonable prices I'd say anyone of them would be worth at least checking out because after all no one person is the final arbiter of what's good or bad when it comes to these games. You might find yourself enoying any one of these.

I personally feel that Vesperia is the best out of the three. But that's just MHO. Both actually both Vesperia and Graces F are also available for downloading on the PS3 and 360 respectively so you don't necessarily have to try to track either of those games down hard copy wise. Abyss will be more readily available, especially the 3DS version.

Jump to Post

04.16.2013 1:03pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

I thought Vesperis and Abyss were the peak of the series thus far. Symphonia was good, but not great. Graces was pretty bland, but fun enough. Legendia was AWFUL outside of its soundtrack, which was the best in the series. I do have a pre-order for Xillia, but I'm not going to switch it over to the Collector's edition. This year hasn't exactly been RPG-heavy like last year was, so I'll be thankful to get it.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

04.23.2013 11:48pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

On the other hand they charge $165 for you to have portable Loli Dancing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/23/app-store-update-april-23-2

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

04.23.2013 11:52pm
Thread Creator

CaButler

Yeah, I read that and I went "What the hell?"

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter