Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Obsidian website countdown.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

09.13.2012 5:45am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

Obsidian's doing something. There's been a countdown on their webpage since Monday with a new cryptic Fantasy-ish quote every day. The reveal is set for Friday Not much is known so far. It apparently involves an Ouroboros somehow, and Josh Sawyer (lead designer of New Vegas and all around awesome guy) is involved. He tweeted this image yesterday.

Lots of speculation as to what it could be. Most common possibility seems to be a new Fantasy IP, possibly related to the long ago scrapped Baldur's Gate 3, which Sawyer was also lead on and has long stated he'd like to use some of the ideas he was planning for it. There's also the possibility of the game being 'Project X' picked up by a new publisher. Project X was an in development next-gen console game being published by Microsoft, until they dropped it earlier this year, leading to a round of layoffs at Obsidian. There's also this (most of the setting, factions, and characters from New Vegas came from the scrapped Fallout 3/Van Bueren). Other (less exciting) prospects include Dungeon Siege 4 or a Wheel of Time game. Also, Obsidian created a Kickstarter profile a couple days ago, but that may be unrelated and it obviously hasn't started any projects yet.

As the resident Obsidian fanboy, I'm excited as all hell.

Go ahead and start posting about bugs now!

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 7:38am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

My guess is the site will crash 5 seconds before the countdown's done. There got my "lol Obsidian bugs" joke out of the way.

I'd love for it to be something Fallout-related, but with the falling out (pun so not intended) between Obsidian and Bethesda I have my doubts.

My guess is original IP. Outside possibility of it being that Wasteland sequel that Obsidian said they'd help out. Hopeful, and likely futile wish that it's a new VtM Bloodlines game since most of the former Troika folk found themselves going to Obsidian, including Tim Cain.

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 10:22am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

South Park?

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 2:12pm

Fifan
The guy with the girly avatar

KyleIII said:
and Josh Sawyer (lead designer of New Vegas and all around awesome guy) is involved. He tweeted this image yesterday.

'No rope here'?

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 6:19pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

shooter_mcgavin said:

South Park?

Considering it's already been announced and out in the open, I really doubt they'd dedicate a cryptic countdown to something already revealed.

'No rope here'?

So probably not an RPG adaptation of 50 Shades Of Grey.

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 7:30pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Not sure what was there last night, but now there is a link to take you to the "Project X" forums. 

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 7:38pm
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

It's pretty clear that it's going to be some kind of new announcements, and the style of the updates (vague as they are) doesn't fit Wasteland or South Park at all. I'm really hoping it's an original IP that Obsidian is able to actually earn royalties from so that the financial outlook of the studio is a little less shaky for the future. I'm pretty open to whatever they want to do.

Josh Sawyer just put up a retrospective of his Black Hound project, so I'm guessing that means it won't be that.
https://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/09/the-black-hound-what-its-deal-was.html

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 7:48pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

They really need to get new business/legal guys. It seems like they get dicked over on just about every game by the publisher in some fashion. Though at least the new Dungeon Siege did pretty well and I think the South Park game should do well for itself.

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 7:59pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

If I had to guess, it might be Wheel of Time. They've supposedly been working on a game in the setting for YEARS now with no real word about it. It'd be cool to see them do a new IP and not fuck it up like they did with Alpha Protocol.

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 8:27pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I know next to nothing about Wheel of Time, but the first thing I saw on the Wikipedia page was three intersecting circles, one of which is an Ouroboros.  So that's where I'd put my money.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 9:21pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

The last Wheel of Time book also (finally) comes out early next year. Would make sense to follow that up with a game.

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 9:24pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

If it's indeed Wheel of Time, we may have a video game with better writing than, get this, the novels that would be the source material.

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 9:30pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Wheel of Time started with good writing at least. And then it went on... and on... and on... and on... and on... and every book, the writing got worse and worse :\ I haven't read the books from the guy that took over for Jordon though, they might actually be decent.

Jump to Post

09.13.2012 10:02pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I know nothing about Wheel of Time (the ridiculous length of the series kept me away), but are the Watchers a significant part of the series? One of the quotes from the countdown mentions them, all caps like.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 5:27am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

I know nothing about The World of Time series, but apparently the quotes have no obvious connection at all to anything from the series. It still could be, of course, but I'm still betting it'll be a new IP in some form or another.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter