Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Obsidian website countdown.

09.14.2012 6:06pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

So wait the new game is a game they want us to fund? 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

A
lso. lol Obsidian talking in true master race form. 

"[I'm] tired of designing content and interactions that caters to consoles and console controllers."

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 6:31pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Well there goes a lot of my interest. Isometric RPG's tend to bore the holy hell out of me and I don't really like the "Let's do this entire thing through Kickstarter!" thing. Sounds like they have a few pre-made excuses if the game or its funding falls flat on its face.

Sounds like a really blatant nostalgia grab instead of trying new things. And since I have very little nostalgia for the games mentioned... pass.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 6:44pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Onyx said:

Well there goes a lot of my interest. Isometric RPG's tend to bore the holy hell out of me and I don't really like the "Let's do this entire thing through Kickstarter!" thing. Sounds like they have a few pre-made excuses if the game or its funding falls flat on its face.

Sounds like a really blatant nostalgia grab instead of trying new things. And since I have very little nostalgia for the games mentioned... pass.

So I'm not the only one who doesn't care for isometric.  I mean, I liked Planescape: Torment in spite of it being isometric, but I've had enough bad experience with the approach that I decided not to play any more.  That seems to be the way the Kickstarter wind is blowing.  I'd be interested in something like KotOR or Dragon Age: Origins, or something experimental in terms of choice.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 6:47pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

It's incredibly hard for me to get immersed in a RPG and its setting with an isometric-only camera. Dragon Age: Origins had the option on PC, but at least it was just that: optional.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 7:20pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Meh. For $20 I'll kickstart that. 

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 7:43pm
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

Really wish I had more disposal income for some of those crazy reward tiers.

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 12:51am

Ashilyn
Career GM

So that whole countdown was for a Kickstarter announcement for an original IP isometric game everyone knows will be funded by the end of the weekend? Boring. And honestly, I don't WANT a throwback to isometic Infinity Engine style games. I want the cleverness, inginuity, characters, and stories Obsidian is known for presented in easier to play and manage modern technology. It doesn't have to be a top notch, amazing looking game, but Isometric games are all but dead now for a reason. This reeks of a blatant nostalgia grab, not to mention how burned I felt the last time you guys did an original IP. No thanks, Obsidian.

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 2:29am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

If I had the money to burn, I'd plunk out for the $1000 tier.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 3:43am

Exeter
Registered Member

What's with the hate?  Isometric games are awesome.  Hell, when I played Dragon Age I was in isometric 90% of the time.

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 4:33am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

Surprises me too. I also just realized that all but one of the six games I've pledged to on Kickstarter is isometric as well. Apparently I missed the style more than I thought.

It's been really neat seeing how fast the funding total has been going up and how much positivity has been surrounding the project so far. I know I'm not the only Obsidian fanboy out there, but it's always nice to see that other people enjoy the same types of games that I do.
Indiana Jerico said:

If I had the money to burn, I'd plunk out for the $1000 tier.
If this had happened a few years ago before I was married, I can almost guarentee that I would have done just that.

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 10:17am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Well now I'm just pissed it isn't Wheel of Time...

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 1:56pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

...Eh. If this were anyone besides Obsidian, I would be on it like Sonic. Just not sure I want to help Obsidian make another promising but fundamentally broken game. 

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 8:29pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Uh, other than maybe Alpha Protocol, which Obsidian game was "fundamentally" broken?

And for all the flak Obsidian gets about their initial releases being buggy (and they are), one thing that kinda gets overlooked is the fact that they're actually pretty good about fixing those bugs in a timely and comprehensive fashion. Like the current state of Fallout: New Vegas is actually considerably less buggy than the current state of Fallout 3. (Fallout 3, amusingly, is probably even buggier than it was on release.)

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 8:35pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

KOTOR2 had a lot of bugs, though apparently I was one of the lucky devils who didn't experience much besides the very rare crash. Well, that and the incomplete endgame but that had more to do with LucasArts being dicks than poor QA. Never had any real problems with New Vegas. Anything that was bad (like a really jumpy framerate) was fixed pretty nicely in patches. Considering that I was expecting the Bugpocalypse with Bethesda+Obsidian, this was a pleasant surprise.

And while not exactly a broken game, it took an expansion pack to make NWN2 worthwhile.

Heard Dungeon Siege 3 was pretty smooth, too. Though that simply isn't my type of game.

Jump to Post

09.15.2012 8:57pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I couldnt finish the last mission in New Vegas without the game freezing up at the same point. Its probably fixed, but I just cant bring my self to try again. 

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter