Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Obsidian website countdown.

09.16.2012 6:00am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

Really exciting to see the game get funded so quickly. I'm eager to see just how high it ends up getting. Looks like it's on track to do even more than Wasteland 2, which pulled in nearly 3-million by the end. I have a feeling they're going to need to come up with even more stretch goals beyond what they have now. What little details are being shared (particularly the stuff Josh Sawyer's posting about over at Something Awful) really sound like this could end up being something special. I don't think I'd trust any developer to create a game matching my tastes as much as Obsdian.
Onyx said:
Heard Dungeon Siege 3 was pretty smooth, too. Though that simply isn't my type of game.
It's polished to a shine and practically bug free. It's also the first game they developed entirely on their own engine, a trend that will continue with Project Eternity (and South Park). It'll also have the advantage of having QA done in-house, not by a publisher.

Jump to Post

09.16.2012 9:24pm

Ladile
Medic!

Well I'm excited; super big fan of the BG/IWD/PST games and of the isometric style.

Jump to Post

09.21.2012 4:33am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

Today's update included some really interesting information about the setting. It isn't a medieval level technology, but rather mostly late-middle early-modern era (with the notable exception of the printing press). The world has yet to go through a Reinassance-esque cultural movement, however.

That means firearms do exist in the setting, in primitive wheellock form. They're not in wide use, due to their drawbacks, but they do have one notable advantage: breaking the magical barriers of wizards.

Really enjoying everything I'm hearing about this game so far!

Jump to Post

10.12.2012 5:36am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

First screenshot was released today:

It's been a really exciting campaign to watch. There's been a very steady stream of updates, with lots of neat details about the lore and gameplay philosophies being revealed. Today's was especially nifty, with some neat bits of background lore being revealed along with the above screenshot.

The last few strectch goals are really exciting: Mask of the Betrayer lead writer George Ziets will be returning at $2.8 million, there will be a player stronghold at $3 million (something more akin to Crossroads Keep than a simple player house like the $2 million goal), and a second big city at $3.5 million. The first two are almost guaranteed, though the last one will truly be a stretch. If they made the $3.5 million, they would pass Double-fine as the most successful game project on Kickstarter. They are ahead in money raised at this point in the campaign, but Double Fine had a last-minute boost that so far has not been replicated by any other major game Kickstarters, so it should be interesting to see what happens.

Jump to Post

10.16.2012 8:39pm
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

I promise this is the last time I'll post if no one responds, but it's been a super-exciting final run. The project ends in six hours, but in the last few days they've obliterated the 3.5 million stretch goal, and (including Paypal totals) are closing in on 3.8 million. It's already the most successful game ever funded on Kickstarter, and it's been really enjoyable seeing so many other Obsidian and RPG fanboys out there coming out to support it. I'm really excited to see what the final total ends up being!

And I'm really excited for all the swag I'm getting!

Jump to Post

10.16.2012 8:51pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I've decided for kicks to throw my hat into this kickstarter.  I did the boxed version tier, so I'll just be getting that.

I was looking at the collector's edition version, but my poor wallet just couldn't take it.

Jump to Post

12.22.2012 3:55am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

Look what came in the mail today!

Obsidian is awesome!

There was a surprisingly well done write-up of them on Kotaku earlier this week too.

Jump to Post

12.22.2012 5:21am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

KyleIII said:

Look what came in the mail today!

Obsidian is awesome!

There was a surprisingly well done write-up of them on Kotaku earlier this week too.

Coo. How'd you get that?

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

12.22.2012 5:38am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

It was the special loot bag tier that I somehow managed to get in during the thirty seconds or so it was available before all 30 got taken.

Jump to Post

01.13.2013 2:39am

Jiro
Registered Member

Now we just wait for the magic to happen.

Jump to Post

04.10.2013 6:23am
Thread Creator

KyleIII
Registered Member

Bumping this thread for the first in-engine video. It's pretty damn gorgeous!

Make sure to watch until the very end to have your mind blown.

Jump to Post

04.12.2013 9:46am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Looks pretty rad, missed this thread earlier.

Jump to Post

04.12.2013 3:11pm

Amer
pew pew pew

So pumped for this. It's going to be an old school kickstarter few  years here. Shadowrun Returns, Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numeria.....

Jump to Post

04.12.2013 4:16pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Amer said:

So pumped for this. It's going to be an old school kickstarter few  years here. Shadowrun Returns, Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numeria.....

Don't forget about Double Fine Adventures.

Jump to Post

04.12.2013 9:38pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Oh I'm excited for the DF adventure, but I'm just in an old school RPG mood. 

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter