Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Skyrim

09.01.2012 11:58pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

OrionHardy said:

My biggest problem is that the dragons don't feel like the big threat they are supposed to be, The fact that I have to more cautious of the giants is a bad sign.

If you're on a PC, they have a mod where dragons are pretty fucking terrifying.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

09.02.2012 12:23am

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Unfortunately I'm not. Stuck with whatever they put on the Xbox. I make it even worse for myself by watching Youtube videos about the PC mods. There are loads that I want, especially the one that allows you to buy horses that you companion can ride.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

09.02.2012 5:17am

KyleIII
Registered Member

Mavilu said:

Yup.
I put far more hours into it, but I actually stopped playing it a few times and I have only recently finished the main quests only because I don't like to leave games unfinished.
Bland, bland, bland; and now that I have gone back to Oblivion, it seems even blander; it might be that I'm a girl and I like colorful fantasies (I was accused of that in another site for liking Oblivion better), but in Skyrim everyone was sad, dirty and looked downright cold, the cities where bland and all very similar looking, the frozen tundra didn't help either, I cannot tell you guys how many times my husband looked into the screen when I was trekking on the snow and asked me why was I playing in black and white.
Yeah, I agree with a lot of that. For as many problems as Oblivion had, I was still compelled to make new characters to go through all of the different guilds (and that was in the unmodded Xbox version). I have no desire to do that in Skyrim. I admit it could just be changing tastes, but I did load up Oblivion to play through the Shivering Isles about a year ago, and still enjoyed that. But then, the Shivering Isles is one of the best things to come out of the entire Elder Scrolls series.
OrionHardy said:

My biggest problem is that the dragons don't feel like the big threat they are supposed to be, The fact that I have to more cautious of the giants is a bad sign.
I remember when Bethesda announced dragons would be a big part of the game, and all I could think of was how awful they'd be to fight with Elder Scrolls combat. I imagined just watching them fly around while futily shooting arrows or spells at them, waiting for them to land so you could start whitteling their hitpoints down while you just soaked up their damage like any other enemy. I figured they'd have to do something radical with the combat system to make them enjoyable to fight.

And then, nope, they ended up being the dull damage-sponges I imagined them to be. And they were everywhere. At least you could ignore the Oblivion gates.
Rhaegar said:
 (Morrowind's leveling was pretty bad too but since there was no level scaling at all it didn't really matter after a while.)
That's actually not true. Monsters didn't scale in ability, but different ones spawned based on your level. That's why you don't see any cliff racers until about the point you hit level five, at which point they're everywhere.

Jump to Post

09.02.2012 6:37am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Yeah, Shivering Isles is pretty much the only reason I've kept my copy of Oblivion in reach. (If starting a new game, I'd level up my character via console cheating before starting that expansion.)

Jump to Post

09.02.2012 11:02pm

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

I've just started playing Oblivion again. My brother in law deleted my save years ago when I was halfway through. But after not long finishing Skyrim, Oblivion doesn't stand up well. It's silly things like the map and the menus that annoy me. Also tried Fallout 3 and stopped already, it's so brown and grey and dull.

Jump to Post

09.03.2012 3:47am

KyleIII
Registered Member

Have you tried New Vegas? I'd say it's by far the best of this style of game. Blows Fallout 3 out of the water.

Jump to Post

09.03.2012 4:38am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

I love open-ended, sandbox games. I have lost hundreds of hours across Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. That having been said, I only finished Fallout 3 among those four. I think the HUGE number of side quests and things you can do in all those games will, at some point, burn you out until you lose sight of the objective that you're supposed to do in the game in the first place. In Oblivion, I lost interest when the gates started opening up in all of Cyrodiil. It was fun the first couple of times but after that, it just became...exhausting.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

09.03.2012 4:47am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I think Oblivion made the mistake of making you travel too much before you start getting Oblivion gates.  ALL the way to Chorrol, then ALL the way to Kvatch. 

Skyrim didn't make you have to cover much ground before you started getting dragons.

And Oblivion just had too many gates with too few worlds.  There's close to two hundred gates across Cyrodiil at any time once they start opening up, and like five or six different kinds of Oblvion levels. 

It completely ruins immersion to say "ugh i don't want to save the world."

Sam Biscuits said:

I've just started playing Oblivion again. My brother in law deleted my save years ago when I was halfway through. But after not long finishing Skyrim, Oblivion doesn't stand up well. It's silly things like the map and the menus that annoy me. Also tried Fallout 3 and stopped already, it's so brown and grey and dull.

I think Fallout 3's main problem is the poor writing.  If only they had Obsidian's writing with Fallout 3's setting, that would be unthinkably good.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

09.03.2012 4:27pm

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

Skyrim has generally less interesting quests than it's predecessors, IMO. The radiant quest system somewhat paradoxically made for less variety than the hand-crafted quests of for example Oblivion. Too much "go to X dungeon and kill X enemy/find X item".

Kinda like this guy put it:

Jump to Post

09.03.2012 7:47pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Mavilu said:

Yup.
I put far more hours into it, but I actually stopped playing it a few times and I have only recently finished the main quests only because I don't like to leave games unfinished.
Bland, bland, bland; and now that I have gone back to Oblivion, it seems even blander; it might be that I'm a girl and I like colorful fantasies (I was accused of that in another site for liking Oblivion better), but in Skyrim everyone was sad, dirty and looked downright cold, the cities where bland and all very similar looking, the frozen tundra didn't help either, I cannot tell you guys how many times my husband looked into the screen when I was trekking on the snow and asked me why was I playing in black and white.

You have to be a girl to like colorful fantasy?

My biggest reason for not getting Skyrim and New Vegas is time and money; Oblivion and Fallout 3 are enough of a timesink without getting sequels. However, this idea of "Who needs Oblivion when you have Skyrim?" falls on deaf ears in my case. Oblivion seems on paper like something I wouldn't like all that much. It's a flawed game, but it clicks for me in a very specific way, and a major part of that is the atmosphere. It's not the easiest thing to replicate, and I've never gotten that from what I've seen of Skyrim. So Skyrim could fix all of the flaws and might even be a better overall game, but it couldn't be a substitute for Oblivion without recreating the specific things that made me care about Oblivion in the first place.

As for New Vegas, there's two reasons that the "better writing" isn't such a draw. The first is that (unlike a lot of people) I didn't like Fallout 1 and 2, and while I normally do like Obsidian, it would be like David Fincher announcing he was making another Alien sequel. The second is that 3's writing never bothered me. It might not be masterful, but it served its purpose. If I were listing problems I had with the game, the writing wouldn't even come up.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 12:17am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Yeah, the atmosphere is a big deal for me too, granted, Skyrim does have a lot of atmosphere to, but maybe not right one for me, I vastly prefer rolling hills with flowers, forests and wooded areas with tawny grass to frozen tundra, snowy mountain and sulfuric volcanic waste.
Oblivion seems to be a bit more quirky and with a bit of more humor to it, yes, Skyrim has the getting drunk and not remembering what you did sidequest, but that's it, everyone is so deadly worried about the civil war and the dragons, but at the same time stoic and stoned face, because they are tough nords!, in Oblivion when there is worry, it's a bit frivolous, gossipy and with lots of eye shifting; people is much more colorful in appareance too, more color to their clothes, to their looks, more diversity, I understand that in the province of Skyrim things are run differently, but it was hard to talk to anyone that wasn't "human", the kajhit (sp?) where banned from settlements, the argonians and most elves were poor people out of the places you'd normally trekked, the orcs kept to themselves in their strongholds and then the rich elves didn't give you the time of the day. And most everyone out of a settlement was unfriendly and you had to kill them or else, I thought the Forsworn would be friendly after I helped them, nope, still trying to kill you.

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 7:02am

KyleIII
Registered Member

Fincher said:
As for New Vegas, there's two reasons that the "better writing" isn't such a draw. The first is that (unlike a lot of people) I didn't like Fallout 1 and 2, and while I normally do like Obsidian, it would be like David Fincher announcing he was making another Alien sequel. The second is that 3's writing never bothered me. It might not be masterful, but it served its purpose. If I were listing problems I had with the game, the writing wouldn't even come up.
My problem was that Fallout 3's writing and setting kept shattering my suspension of disbelief, which really hurts in a game like this where exploration and immersion is key. The writing in The Elder Scrolls games is nothing to write home about, but at least the settings are coherent. Giving the slightest bit of thought to almost any anything involving Fallout 3 makes the entire thing just completely fall apart.

As to your first point, I'm not a huge fan of the first two Fallout games either. I appreciate them for what they did, but I never found them all that much fun to play. That doesn't stop New Vegas from being an incredible game, though.

Jump to Post

10.13.2012 10:26pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Just a quick question, is there anything on Skyrim I should do before completing the main storyline? I want to get through that before Halo 4 comes out, but I don't want to miss out on anything big.

Jump to Post

10.13.2012 11:20pm

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

The Daedric Quests are worth doing, Blackreach too but that will keep you busy for quite some time. It's subjective I suppose but I did everything before the main story and missed all the random dragon encounters and shouts, regretted that.

Jump to Post

10.14.2012 7:30am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Big Tall said:

The new DLC for Skyrim has been announced: Hearthfire.

I'm intrigued by the amount of options that we'll be given to build a home, but it doesn't seem nearly as customizable or unique as the trailer makes it out to be. Everyone will just build the biggest options, fill it with the same stuff and...yeah a new home. On the other hand, it would be nice to see where the plots of land will be. There are a few locations I wouldn't mind putting a home, to cut down on fast travelling or just for convenience. The adoption part? No thanks. Killing friendly-neighbourhood giants seems like something that will just get really annoying.

Is anyone still playing? I haven't grabbed Dawnguard yet, but I will eventually. The extra content just isn't enough of a draw for me to want to jump back into the game/

Yeah......No.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter