Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

TERA

04.24.2012 6:17pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

I still kind of get the lulz because it's so fanservicey, but it does look like a decent MMO.

Jump to Post

04.24.2012 7:00pm

Veers
Flying High

Rinoa said:

https://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20120423
Seems more american reviewers are coming around and realizing this is a legit game. For over a year people (including this thread) were prejudiced against it for being an ~asian~ mmo.

I'm glad he mentioned the player skill. I soloed BAMs myself and it does get your heart racing esp when one or two hits mean death on Sorc. Meanwhile, playing with shitty members is definitely a terrible thing indeed. You can't survive half-assing it in this game, shitty playerskill = die right away.
Yep, soloing or duoing BAMs was a blast.  Also, yeah, the first dungeon is pretty forgiving but after that things get tougher and your group's skill level makes a huge difference vs other MMOs.  The second time I did the second dungeon, the healer got competely destroyed by the boss because he just stood there derping when the boss targeted him (that fight is all about kiting).  I raised him and then he got himself killed again by running into the adds the boss spawned.  Ended up just me left alive kiting the boss (the rest of the party got run over by adds--which, by the way, don't even attack you directly they just follow the boss) trying to whittle him down but I ended up dying because he moves too fast to outrun on foot even with backstepping and teleporting. :| 

We got it on the next try though, once everyone knew what to watch out for.  Technically this same kind of story could be applied to other MMOs, but in TERA it's different because of how targeting and attacking (for both players and enemies) work... but like that review with the comic notes, there is no RNG going on to let your character's stats "work for you" (like with hit rate, evasion rate, block rate, etc.).  There's still a bit of RNG (crit rates, etc.) but the meat and potatos of the combat is in YOUR hands, not in that of your character's stats.

I'm kinda torn really.  TERA was really fun.  More fun than I expected.  I have some friends who are going to play GW2, but no one I game with is interested in TERA besides one or two people from XIV linkshell(s).  I'm still subbing to XIV, too, though I don't play it that much right now.  I have the money for two MMO subs, I just dunno if I want to make the time for three MMOs.  Gah.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 9:17am

scnix
scnix.com

Tried TERA on EU OBT ('cause there isn't an Oceanic server and NA servers locks everyone out) and it was really fun. I played the warrior and felt as if I was playing GoW on a MMORPG environment. Now that the OBT is over, I'm contemplating purchasing it but I don't think I'll be able to commit to it. :/

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 9:02pm
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

Veers you can join my guild, a lot of FFO/SG/FF11 peeps as well as my real life friends are there. It's Flaregamer on Arachanea.

I def can't commit to the game, I will probably do 1 month, then cancel it for the month of the wedding/moves and then back when it's all settled. This year is terrible, so many damn good games.

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 9:13pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

What are the min./recommended specs for this game? The art style is a little off-putting but the combat sounds pretty fun. Also I'm intrigued by the lack of pants.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 10:32pm
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

Min specs are not min enough, you gotta go above and beyond to really have fun.

https://tera-support.enmasse.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/175/~/can-i-run-tera%3F---system-requirements

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 10:38pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Looks like outside of the video card, I'm good for recommended at least.

Planning on upgrading from my crappy 9500GT to a 550 TI (at least), so that shouldn't be an issue any longer.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 10:46pm
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

I had to get a whole new comp just for this, totally worth it. I can play it and PSO2 at the same time as watching a movie lol

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 3:14am
 (Edited on 04.26.2012 at 3:28am)

Veers
Flying High

Rinoa said:

Veers you can join my guild, a lot of FFO/SG/FF11 peeps as well as my real life friends are there. It's Flaregamer on Arachanea.
;_; don't tempt meeeeeee.  Arachanea was where I had my 2nd character during beta lol...

Regarding system requirements, here's how the launcher graded my computer:

I built my PC in January 2007 so my rig's getting old and is a bit of a clunker but it's still kind of high-tier clunker, what with a GTX8800 and all in there.  I've been wanting to build a new one but I just bought a house this year so expensive toys like new gaming PCs are on hold while I recover from making that down payment, heh.

I noticed the following performance issues during open beta:

• Slight lag when opening skill/chain menu, but as this really isn't something you do in battle it was no biggie.
  • After running the game for 6-9 hours at a time (I took breaks but left it running), it would crash due to running my system out of RAM.
  • A couple times I noticed weird jitters, but that might have been a network thing (like my character would rewind/jerk for a few frames).
  • In wide open or croweded areas, my system couldn't handle all the textures.  Note the difference between my character's dress in this screenshot (in a small instance room) vs this screenshot (not crowded, but out in the open world).

Other than that, it ran really well.  Min specs may not be enough to have fun but you don't need max for the game to be responsive and fun.  I never felt any kind of FPS hits that were enough to be noticable or frustrating.  Honestly, the combat was so engaging I never even noticed the game was dialing-down my textures until I examined the screenshots later.

Edit: Oh, I was playing windowed fullscreen mode at 1680x1050.  At "normal" fullscreen mode performance was a little better, but when the game ate all my system memory it caused a hard crash of my whole computer.  Running it in windowed fullscreen caused subsequent memory-related crashes (there were several) to simply crash the game rather than my whole computer.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 5:01am
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

My old comp was also from Feb 2007, it was the latest etc of it's time... and I still def needed an upgrade. TERA barely ran on it, heck barely even intalled on it.

more americans changing mind
https://kotaku.com/5904810/one-weekend-completely-changed-my-mind-about-tera

TERA can def crash on huge crowds as well, keep in mind sometimes a lot of stuff on screen at once. during closed beta they did some stress testing and just blew up da servers with that attack on velika

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 4:27pm

maximus asinus
Registered Member

They really objectify women, don't they? But I guess that has been the gaming standard for years. From scantly clad (even in heavy armor) to misleading figures. It is funny, I never really paid attention to these things until my friend started talking about it; the gaming industry really is full of misogynist males.

PS I hate sounding like a bleeding heart here.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 5:10pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Let's not confuse sexism and objectification with outright misogyny.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 5:14pm

Veers
Flying High

maximus asinus said:

PS I hate sounding like a bleeding heart here.
Then stop posting?

Also, have you not seen the male character designs?  TERA is equal opportunity fanservice.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 5:24pm

Testament
Shamshot

Yeah, I don't think there is much misogyny going on.  Objectification and demographic marketing, definitely.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 10:24pm

Veers
Flying High

Testament said:

demographic marketing, definitely.
On that note, get a load of this outfit.  All she's missing is glasses to be, like, pretty much an ultimate fetish bomb.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter