Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

TERA

04.27.2012 4:15am
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

maximus asinus said:

They really objectify women, don't they? But I guess that has been the gaming standard for years. From scantly clad (even in heavy armor) to misleading figures. It is funny, I never really paid attention to these things until my friend started talking about it; the gaming industry really is full of misogynist males.

PS I hate sounding like a bleeding heart here.

You haven't even seen the men in TERA, have you...

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 7:06am

tenken
Hooligan

Veers: I built my computer off the system specs of the one you're still running (waaay back in 2007), so any performance issues you've got, I'd probably have.  I was thinking of giving TERA a whirl, but my gaming these days is super-sporadic - I might binge on a weekend, and then just lightly peck at a game on the weeknights, so along with all my other hobbies, I still can't convince myself to pay for a subscription MMO, even if it looks as visually-keen and action-fun as TERA.

But what I am looking toward is Guild Wars 2, and I'm fearing that might have even harder-to-deal-with system reqs.  I've made a few upgrades due to some stuff burning out in a power surge a few years back (main one being video card, an Nvidia 9800 GT, which has worked fine for all I've used it for but I don't think it'll be beefy enough for GW2) and just a few months ago I finally bumped from my original 2 GB of RAM to 6 GB.  I've still got the original dual core 2.4 ghz processor, and I kinda feel like when the processor and/or motherboard aren't enough, that's the time to finally invest in a new system entirely - which I'd like to do in the next year or two (depending on available cash).  But do you think I'd be able to make it for TERA or GW2 with what I've got now, or is it too old?

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 2:31pm

Veers
Flying High

They should be playable, I think, but definitely not be at best settings.

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 10:37pm

Karrian
I need a new rock bottom.

Anyone starting out tomorrow? I'm looking for a server to join and I wouldn't mind playing with some people from here.

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 11:06pm

Veers
Flying High

Busy with new XIV patch...  I'll probably break down and get it, but not immediately.

Jump to Post

04.28.2012 1:33am

Ashilyn
Career GM

tenken said:

Veers: I built my computer off the system specs of the one you're still running (waaay back in 2007), so any performance issues you've got, I'd probably have.  I was thinking of giving TERA a whirl, but my gaming these days is super-sporadic - I might binge on a weekend, and then just lightly peck at a game on the weeknights, so along with all my other hobbies, I still can't convince myself to pay for a subscription MMO, even if it looks as visually-keen and action-fun as TERA.

But what I am looking toward is Guild Wars 2, and I'm fearing that might have even harder-to-deal-with system reqs.  I've made a few upgrades due to some stuff burning out in a power surge a few years back (main one being video card, an Nvidia 9800 GT, which has worked fine for all I've used it for but I don't think it'll be beefy enough for GW2) and just a few months ago I finally bumped from my original 2 GB of RAM to 6 GB.  I've still got the original dual core 2.4 ghz processor, and I kinda feel like when the processor and/or motherboard aren't enough, that's the time to finally invest in a new system entirely - which I'd like to do in the next year or two (depending on available cash).  But do you think I'd be able to make it for TERA or GW2 with what I've got now, or is it too old?

GW2 isn't going to be an issue. A lot of people are complaining in the betas because the game isn't fully optimised yet, but I could run the game with several of the higher graphics settings on when I did the godawful stress test the other week, and my computer only has a 2.2 dual core Athlon and a GF7900 GTO. You should pretty much be fine. Somehow, this computer even runs FFXIV fairly smoothly too, and it did Tera as well when I beta'd it. So unless you wanna bump everything up to max I imagine you'll be fine for now.

As for Tera itself, it's suprisingly fun. I've been looknig for a new MMO since my computer barely runs The Old Republic (despite running the earlier mentioned games) and I'm still burnt out on WoW. Right now it's FFXIV against my better judgement, and I'll probably end up giving Tera a chance at some point, though I may wait for it to get a bit cheaper.

Jump to Post

04.28.2012 5:07am
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

My guild is on Arachanea server. Main char name Sheila, guild Flaregamer.

I was not planning on playing MMOs ever again, until this game to be honest. And luckily this one is casual.

Jump to Post

05.01.2012 4:29pm

Veers
Flying High

I rolled on Arachnea and joined Rinoa's guild with my sorc (made a ton of alts too but haven't guilded them yet lol).

Join us, tenk!

Now I need to build a new PC...

Jump to Post

05.11.2012 2:27am

Raphael
Eternal Lurker

How long does it usually take for a MMO to get a trial version? The screens I've seen look so beautiful and the support for Eyefinity/NVIDIA Surround would make it an interesting showcase game (new computer is up and running at 5760x1200). I guess I'll see how long Diablo 3 keeps me busy then consider playing this next.

Jump to Post

05.11.2012 3:36pm

Veers
Flying High

My guess is it will be a while before TERA gets a trial version because it just had Open Beta  two weeks ago which was essentially just that.

Jump to Post

05.17.2012 2:49am
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

There were trial/buddy codes a few week sago too, which seem to be long gone.

Jump to Post

06.15.2012 8:10am
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

new 7 day trial code!

TERATRIAL

https://tera-support.enmasse.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/433

Jump to Post

06.15.2012 4:39pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Got the trial yesterday. Battle system is really fun and the characters are pretty and the customization options are pretty awesome both in terms of equipment and CAC. But I hate the UI. Also runs real choppy, so I'm gonna have to do some graphical fine-tuning as the game thinks I can run it at much better settings than I really can.

What class would you guys recommend for soloing? My first character is a high elf archer and it's fun. But I always liked playing smashy smash melee characters.

Jump to Post

06.15.2012 10:05pm
Thread Creator

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

You can customize the UI completely.

Game runs super smooth for me but I have hella strong PC nows.

I play Sorc main (love destruction/BLM types) and Priest as 2nd main. Priest is stronger than Warrior for damage ROFL very busy and takes more skill than healer in other games IMHO.

3rd main was Berserker but they have yet to fix the class.

Jump to Post

07.01.2012 2:12am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Well even though I'm still immersed in Final Fantasy XI land I did pick this up just to give it a try for a month and see how I liked it. Obviously the big draw seems to be that the combat is much more skill based than past MMO's and thats really what I'm interested in seeing. If anyone wants to post what server their on I can select that one just in the off chance people here are still playing.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter