Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

What is your favorite turn-based RPG?

01.22.2018 7:29pm
Thread Creator

Scribe
The Taru

I would like to hear two answers for this: FF and non-FF as well as a reason why. As a bonus question: Have you ever found a turn-based RPG that had a world that rivaled the creativity of the worlds in the Squaresoft FF's?

Jump to Post

01.22.2018 11:25pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

As of late Persona 5 hands down.
Classically chrono trigger and final fantasy 6.

Jump to Post

01.24.2018 2:32am

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

My favorite Final Fantasy is IV, hands down. I was listening to Watch Out for Fireballs podcast on FFIV a month or two back and forgot how much I love that game. I played it after the original Final Fantasy and the jump from FFI to FFIV blew my mind. I couldn't believe a game could do this much in terms of story and world. I loved the little secrets - exploring the land of summoned monsters and some of the random places around the map. So I guess you could say nostalgia is a big reason why I love this game, but I've played it recently enough that I feel comfortable saying it holds up. It captured my imagination like no other game good.

As for non-FF turn based RPG's, I honestly haven't played one that I loved in so long it's hard for me to say. The most recent one I played that I really enjoyed was Tales of Vesperia, but there is a lot of padding at the end of that game that brings that one back a notch for me. 

So I guess I'll default to Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest IV as my favorite non-FF RPG. 

Jump to Post

01.30.2018 9:33pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

My hands are down!

Final Fantasy VI and Valkyrie Profile.

Jump to Post

01.31.2018 6:18am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Final Fantasy IX, it's beautiful, it has a great story and characters, it has serious moments and funny moments, the music is great, what else can you ask.

Non FF, uuff, lots to choose, but I think I'll settle for Lost Odyssey for the reason that I really like the combat system... which can also be said of Shadow Hearts 1 & 2, which have great stories, which can also be said of the Persona games and oooh, am I forgetting SMT Nocturne?? great story, love all my demons, gorgeous music... speaking of music, story, looks, etc., who could forget Radiant Historia?? and Valkyrie Profile Silmeria?
Nah, sorry can't choose one.

Jump to Post

01.31.2018 9:04pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Well my favorite turn-based FF, and FF period, is VI, and I certainly don't see that changing barring a complete overhaul of the current Square Enix.

Non-FFs: Shadow Hearts: Covenant is definitely up there. So is Suikoden V.

Jump to Post

02.07.2018 4:04pm

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

Square Based: Final Fantasy Tactics. I still play it in the winter, when I wish to return to simpler times... It takes me back to a place where things were easier, and life was grid based.

Non FF... I really love Breath of Fire 4. Fishing in that game was damn awesome. I played it until I got record catches for every fish. Fun stuff.

Jump to Post

03.24.2018 2:50am

LockeAndRoll
Registered Member

In order

* Final Fantasy VI
* Chrono Trigger
* Final Fantasy Tactics

I love dad jokes.

Jump to Post

08.16.2018 10:12pm

vinnyvalentino
Hyperion Master

Final Fantasy VIII will always be my favorite FF.  The world was beautiful, the soundtrack was top tier. The junction system was interesting and fun to mess around with, and the way that grinding for levels was more or less pointless was a nice touch.  I personally enjoyed the more character centered story rather then it focusing on the average save the world plot going on in the background.

Non FF - Chrono Cross. Silmilar to why I enjoyed FF8 so much.  The world and soundtrack were great.  I loved exploring the two different universes and checking out all the differences.  The battle system itself was just really fun for me.

(I feel like I should be posting this in an unpopular opinion thread xD )

And that, as they say, is that.

Jump to Post

09.22.2018 4:30am

Lord Golbez
Registered Member

FF- FFVII (I'm counting ATB as turn-based, which I assume you agree with based on wanting to hear an answer for FF)
Non-FF - Suikoden II
This millennium - Persona 5

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter