Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  The Dork Squad

Best Broadband Suggestions?

10.27.2011 11:06pm
Thread Creator

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

Lately, I've been thinking of ditching cable and jumping into broadband and streaming all of my content. The thing is, I don't have any idea of which broadband company to use. I've been on dial up for so long, this is a totally new thing for me. I live in the Mid Atlantic region, and I was wondering, what choice you guys and girls prefer.

My objectives with this are to:

Play games online
Stream all of my TV content and needs
maybe Try Netflix.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jump to Post

10.27.2011 11:46pm

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Their customer service is terrible, but Comcast provides speed worth considering. In some areas I've heard of Verizon FiOS being worth considering. Skip any incarnation of DSL.

Jump to Post

10.28.2011 8:51am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Step #1 is to see what's available first.

For example, I'm on 1024k/192k DSL, because my only other option is 384k/64k fixed-base wireless.  When I asked the phone company if I could get any faster, they told us the population of the town would have to triple before they'd consider rolling out 2mbit service, and we should feel lucky about what we get, because 60% of the population in the county would never get better than 33.6k dialup.

Jump to Post

10.28.2011 10:19am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Wow, and here I thought you Americans already have broadband on all your homes.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

10.28.2011 9:14pm

Amer
pew pew pew

I'm on a 1.5 mbit download connection over fiber optic. I was kind of worried about not having at least 3 mbit down since, like you, I stream netflix and play games and well, torrent. I just didn't want to pay the extra money for it though.

Netflix usually streams in HD without any problems as long as no other devices are hitting the network or I'm not downloading something else. Never had any problems playing online via 360/ps3/computer, even when my wife is hitting the net. Steam games usually download at about ~750kb/s on games that aren't on a release day. Torrents vary. Every once in a while we might get some slowdown, but usually is fine in a few days. 

I luckily have an ISP that isn't capping usage or throttling right now. 

Jump to Post

10.28.2011 11:00pm

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Indiana Jerico said:

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Broadband penetration in the US is sorely over-estimated, along with what speeds consittute boradband here.

Jump to Post

10.29.2011 1:32am
 (Edited on 10.29.2011 at 1:46am)

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Indiana Jerico said:

For reference:  this county is 775 square miles, or about 2000 square kilometers, and contains less than 3,000 people.  Half of those live in one of the two towns, and have DSL available.  Doing a bit of math and taking a few educated guesses, maybe 40 households actually have DSL, plus maybe 30 businesses.  The other half of the population lives in the rural county, and there's no freaking way you're going to convince the phone company to support DSL out that far.  We don't have a cable company or cable infrastructure.  The 384k/64k fixed-base wireless is doing pretty good, considering that the transmitting tower if in the next county north, 40 miles away.

The very next counties east, northeast and southeast have ten times our population, and offer a decent variety of options - 3mbit DSL, 6mbit cable, and two separate 2mbit fixed-base wireless carriers.  One more county east, and you have a huge amount of choice, including FIOS and two separate 12mbit cable companies.

I'm not joking about living in the pulsating asshole of Texas.  I can tell stories about this place.

e:  Here are all the ugly facts.  Prepare to be underwhelmed.

Jump to Post

10.29.2011 10:31pm

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Ya, historical memories remind us that getting phone service to those areas was achieved by a special government tax and paying companies to run service out there. A similiar tax hasn't arisen again yet.

Jump to Post

11.01.2011 9:41pm
Thread Creator

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

Arckanghel said:

Their customer service is terrible, but Comcast provides speed worth considering. In some areas I've heard of Verizon FiOS being worth considering. Skip any incarnation of DSL.
So... what is so bad about DSL Exactly?

Also, my aunt uses At&t. Most of the wi-fi hotspots in my area are at&t. I'm tempted to try that one. If I were on Verizon for example, would I still be able to connect via an At&t hotspot?

Jump to Post

11.02.2011 2:23am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

DSL has quite a few technological limitations to its service and in most areas is up against an infrastructure barrier. A lot of times the wiring of an apartment or house will also limit service on occasion. Versus other services, it's more likely to go badly.

AT&T's WiFi hotspots are free to all users in some locations and paid access in others. Some services you get through AT&T will include free access at their WiFi hotspots, others won't. As far as being able to use them, it's dependent on the location.

Jump to Post

11.03.2011 9:16pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I use TDS telacom which is a fiber optic internet service and its awesome.

This is a quick speedtest and its acutally slower then my avrage.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 8:09pm

LB
Necromancer of Winning

I'd pick the cheapest for the speed you want. Try it out, if it works, keep it. It really depends on the people who service your area sometmes. If you get a good dsl tech to your house it will work great. Same for cable.

I used Time Warners cheapest package, 20$, for years, got 1mbit, and was able to do everything I wanted. If you want faster speed, pay more.

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 6:47pm
Thread Creator

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

As for online gaming, as long as I can play fighters, and Armored Core V, then I'll be fine. The suggestions have pushed me in the right direction. Thanks guys. If I have anymore questions, I'll just post them here.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter