Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  The Dork Squad

Issue with pc.

08.25.2012 5:48pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Ok so I just got a new TB HDD. My computer was working fine before, I plugged up the HDD and now when I go to boot up my PC im getting an error saying No Bootable Drive found. The bios shows all 4 HDDs connected and when I boot up in my windows setup disk I see the 3 old drives and the parttion for windows itself on there. 

Im kinda at a lost at what would cause this. 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

08.25.2012 6:16pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

You need to go into your bios, there will be somewhere there where it picks the order of what it tries to boot with, the problem is likely that it's set to try and boot via the usb port over your hard drive, just change the order.

https://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

08.25.2012 6:20pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Nah my boot order is fine. 

Jump to Post

08.25.2012 9:32pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Whoops sorry, read your post wrong. Sorry I now have no idea. Was going to suggest Master/slaver options, but that was for the Old ATA drives, which I doubt you are using if you've got a TB HDD.

Jump to Post

08.26.2012 3:09am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

It was odd. I eneded up having to format my windows holding HDD and reload it. Luckly I use a SSD for windows so all I have to reload it just windows itself. The rest is stored on my TB drives.

Jump to Post

08.26.2012 5:11am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Here's what happened:  your Windows drive wasn't seen as the first drive by the BIOS.  When Windows installs, it puts a hidden file named BOOTMGR on whichever drive the BIOS passes as the first drive, which in turn points to the Windows installation (which can be on a completely different drive).  When you added the new drive, it mixed up the order of the drives in the BIOS, which in turn meant that the BIOS went looking at the wrong drive to start the boot process.  When you reinstalled Windows, it wrote BOOTMGR to the new drive the BIOS was passing first.

(For example, I have three drives - a Windows drive, a game drive, and my storage drive.  I have to boot from my game drive, because it's the first one passed by the BIOS, and therefore had BOOTMGR written to the drive when I installed Windows - even though my Windows drive is the C: drive and my game drive is D:  I have to fiddle with my boot order every time I don't remember to unplug my USB drive or my thumbstick when I boot, because they mess up the order of the drives in the BIOS and it passes a different drive first.)

If it ever happens again, keep trying a different drive to boot from until it finally boots.  Everything was there, it just wasn't pointed at the right drive.

Jump to Post

08.26.2012 5:46am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Interesting. 

Thanks for the info, reinstalling on the SSD isnt that big of a deal its just a headache reinstalling all the programs. XD

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter