Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  The Dork Squad

RAM question and comp upgrade

10.23.2011 4:00pm
Thread Creator

Kal
yes

Hey guys I'm a noob when it comes to tech specs and whatnot. I need to upgrade my comp as  it's now 2 years old and I'm dealing with heavy photoshop files and it's a bit slow...
Here are my current specs : 

Intel i7 860
Asus P7P55D LE
GeForce GTS 250 512mo
system : WD Velociraptor 150go - 16mo
storage : Samsung Spinpoint F3-Sata 1000go - 32mo
500watt power supply
G.Skill Extreme3 2x2go PC10600 Ripjaws
Win7 family 64bit

I have maybe 200� tops to upgrade so I was thinking of at least doubling if not trippling if not quadripling my ram, as ram is dirt cheap right now apparently... 

So should i just get 4x4go of new ram or add 2x4 to what I have  ? What is the best ram to get ? What's the best course of action here ? 
Thanks !

Jump to Post

10.24.2011 1:23am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

I think any decent 1333mHz DDR3 package will probably work fine.

Looking at prices - holy shit balls!  I had no idea RAM was this cheap!  Might as well go with 4x4gb modules at this price.  It's too bad you're not running a triple channel setup, if you were I'd even recommend going for 24gb.  Get the 1600 mHz stuff (PC3 12800), it's sitting at the right price.  Brand doesn't matter, but the Corsair Vengance and G.Skill Ripjaws brands are fairly cheap.

Installing 1600 mHz might let you eke a few extra mHz out of your processor, if your motherboard supports some decent overclocking options.  The i7's apparently overclock well.

There's not a lot more you can do to make Photoshop run better, other than install a fast SSD drive.  Photoshop is a pig.

Jump to Post

10.24.2011 4:02am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

I'd agree, just grab 4x4gb and then look into some optimization for your Photoshop setup.

Jump to Post

10.24.2011 10:13am
Thread Creator

Kal
yes

Okay thanks guy, I guess I'll just go with 4x4 then.
A friend of mine had an another recommendation : just add 2x4 to my current 2x2 and buy an SSD for system/photoshop scratchdisk.
Thing is SSD is very expensive and the best I can get is probably 60go so I don't think it's worth it really...

Jump to Post

10.24.2011 5:42pm

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

SSD's are indeed small, but very fast.  Although I don't know how much performance gain you will see over that WD Raptor.

Jump to Post

10.25.2011 5:25am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

I think the RAM upgrades to 4x4GB with a little higher speed is still the best move in value. An SSD is going to perform 3-4x as fast, but you've got to consider the overall effect, and honestly I don't think the overall effect would be worth it versus the dollar investment. If you were going to spend that much, you could probably just upgrade your processor or video card. You've already got a raptor in there, the SSD might be a step up, but it comes at a very high price.

Jump to Post

10.25.2011 10:34am
Thread Creator

Kal
yes

Well I just checked and for exactly 190â?¬ I can get both 4x4 and a 64go SSD...
But yeah, I'll just get 4x4 and if that's not enough then I'll consider the SSD but not for the moment. 
Thanks guys !

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter