Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  The Dork Squad

Windows 7: Is it safe?

10.04.2011 8:51pm
Thread Creator

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

So I've been advised by people I know and trust to get the most out of the 64-bit CPU and extra 3GB of RAM I'm not using to finally take the plunge.

My question is simple: Now that a few years have passed, how's Windows 7's compatibility, particularly with games?  Should I take the plunge or is there more kinks to work out of it?

Jump to Post

10.04.2011 9:43pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

I haven't delved that deeply into it, but I like Windows 7 quite a lot. I haven't experienced any major issues, but I haven't attempted to run games on it.

Granted, I believe most games require the most recent OS anyways, so I'd go ahead with it.

Jump to Post

10.04.2011 11:35pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

been using Win7 for a long time now and never had any kind of issue with it. Biggest thing is that with more and more games going for DX11 you have to have Win7. And for that alone it's worth taking the plunge.

Jump to Post

10.05.2011 1:14am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

I haven't encountered a single piece of modern software that doesn't work with Windows 7.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

10.05.2011 1:38am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

There are quite a few games, though, that worked with XP yet will fail with 7.  Mechwarrior 3, I'm looking at you.

On the other hand, there are a lot of games that once upon a time wouldn't work with XP, but now work fine on anything XP and later thanks to decent emulation - ScummVM, DOSBox, MechVM, etc. all work fantastically.

Basically there's this window from the Windows 98 - Windows ME era where some games are sometimes broken.  Anything released after Win2k came out is usually just fine.  In most cases, there are fixes.  Let us know which ones break for you and we'll gin up some answers.

Jump to Post

10.05.2011 3:02am

TheheirofGondor
Registered Member

Basically Windows 7 fixed Vista, its pretty good and there no reason not to get it

Jump to Post

10.05.2011 5:49am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Dive. There's almost nothing to lose.

Jump to Post

10.05.2011 3:50pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Windows 7 is probably the best version of the OS I've ever used. It's very stable, and I've had very little compatibility issues. Plus with sites like GOG.com out there, you can usually get older PC games for very cheap, without DRM, and they're 100% compatible with modern OS's.

Anything else, there's stuff like DOSBox and the Internet for. If a game doesn't work, Googling (game here) and Windows 7 usually links to a bunch of sites with suggestions on what to do. Either that or fan-made patches/utilities that upgrade compatibility like the SS2Tool with System Shock 2. I've had more problems trying to get stuff to run in widescreen (without horribly stretching things out of proportion) than working in W7.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter