Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  The Dork Squad

Windows 8 consumer preview

< Prev 1 2 Next >

03.01.2012 1:48am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Did anyone else download the Windows 8 beta yet?

Any opinions?

I like it so far.

http://windows.micro..._Consumer_EN-US

Warning. This is a beta not finished yet so dont download it on your main pc. Im using my bedroom one to test.

Actually I hope that someone hacks it onto the HP touchpad. XD

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

03.01.2012 6:46am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Yeah, I'm not all that enthused.  Maybe if there was a way to permanently disable Metro.

Jump to Post

03.01.2012 8:31pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I thought you could disable Metro?

Jump to Post

03.01.2012 8:58pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Metro is just the new star menu.

Jump to Post

06.12.2012 7:48pm

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

So I installed Windows 8 onto my netbook to test it out and it runs nice and smooth. It's very fluid and responsive.

Unfortunately, Windows 8 sucks cock. Seriously, there's no need for Metro at all. Windows 8 should've simply retained its "desktop" functionality, but become more touch friendly. It's obvious Microsoft is desperately trying to catch up with Apple and Google in the mobile market, but this is the wrong way to go and consumers are going to absolutely hate it. Their efforts are too little, too late.

The entire tile interface with Metro is stupidly designed. All Microsoft needed to do to offer the power of a great desktop OS with the accessibility for tablets would've been to simply beef up desktop gadgets and add some additional UI components to Explorer for finger gestures. That's what Android has done and it works beautifully. Additionally, Microsoft keeps pushing their "ribbon" menus on people. Nobody likes them. People who bought Office hated them with a passion and now they're also a part of Explorer.

With older PC games now being ported over to Android and Apple starting to get some pull in the gaming sector (you can thank Valve for pushing that forward), I seriously think this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft in the consumer OS department. Obviously, they have a huge foothold in Enterprise and IT solutions, but for Average Joe, they're done.

Once productivity suites, such as Adobe Creative Suite, are available on Android, I seriously will have no need for Windows other than for PC gaming. Google Documents does everything I need without the bloat, BS, and cost of Office. G-Mail is a fantastic, centralized e-mail solution while Outlook under an Exchange Server is ridiculously costly and requires a ton of overhead to setup and maintain.

I do a lot of my work on-site with clients. With my Android tablet, I simply fire it up and all my stuff is there. I don't need to synchronize anything, plug in a USB cable to transfer a file, or worry about whether my files are correct up to date (if you've ever messed with Offline Files, you know how frustratingly bad that feature is).

And let's not forget that Android is free and iOS charges like $30 for a new version.

I don't see Microsoft having any OS dominiation by 2020.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 5:07am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Dh said:

So I installed Windows 8 onto my netbook to test it out and it runs nice and smooth. It's very fluid and responsive.

Unfortunately, Windows 8 sucks cock. Seriously, there's no need for Metro at all. Windows 8 should've simply retained its "desktop" functionality, but become more touch friendly. It's obvious Microsoft is desperately trying to catch up with Apple and Google in the mobile market, but this is the wrong way to go and consumers are going to absolutely hate it. Their efforts are too little, too late.

The entire tile interface with Metro is stupidly designed. All Microsoft needed to do to offer the power of a great desktop OS with the accessibility for tablets would've been to simply beef up desktop gadgets and add some additional UI components to Explorer for finger gestures. That's what Android has done and it works beautifully. Additionally, Microsoft keeps pushing their "ribbon" menus on people. Nobody likes them. People who bought Office hated them with a passion and now they're also a part of Explorer.

With older PC games now being ported over to Android and Apple starting to get some pull in the gaming sector (you can thank Valve for pushing that forward), I seriously think this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft in the consumer OS department. Obviously, they have a huge foothold in Enterprise and IT solutions, but for Average Joe, they're done.

Once productivity suites, such as Adobe Creative Suite, are available on Android, I seriously will have no need for Windows other than for PC gaming. Google Documents does everything I need without the bloat, BS, and cost of Office. G-Mail is a fantastic, centralized e-mail solution while Outlook under an Exchange Server is ridiculously costly and requires a ton of overhead to setup and maintain.

I do a lot of my work on-site with clients. With my Android tablet, I simply fire it up and all my stuff is there. I don't need to synchronize anything, plug in a USB cable to transfer a file, or worry about whether my files are correct up to date (if you've ever messed with Offline Files, you know how frustratingly bad that feature is).

And let's not forget that Android is free and iOS charges like $30 for a new version.

I would be interested in an Android desktop OS.

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 5:17am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Dh said:

This, although I still like Microsoft Word and Excel.

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 7:24am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

I just fail to see how Windows 8 improves over Windows 7 in any way.  Windows 7 is great, stop fucking with my OS to improve your sales figures.

Jump to Post

06.14.2012 5:54am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Agreed. I was just discussing Win8 the other day and said I don't want an OS for my deskto that dumbs down the interface to a phone rather than integrating touch friendly features into the desktop. It defeats the purpose of having a powerful device when you make the interface so incredibly awful for the purpose. I concur wit the hate,it's the new Istanbul, but worse so far in my estimation.

Jump to Post

06.15.2012 4:45am

amaron

Southern Comfort said:

I just fail to see how Windows 8 improves over Windows 7 in any way.  Windows 7 is great, stop fucking with my OS to improve your sales figures.

This idea that anyone can touch Apple in the tablet market is ridiculous. I love Android, but even I realize that there is almost no room for Windows 8 or Android at the prices these tablets are being sold for.

Even *I* would buy an iPad at $500 before an Android or Win8 tablet at the same price.

Jump to Post

06.15.2012 5:26am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

amaron said:

This idea that anyone can touch Apple in the tablet market is ridiculous. I love Android, but even I realize that there is almost no room for Windows 8 or Android at the prices these tablets are being sold for.

Even *I* would buy an iPad at $500 before an Android or Win8 tablet at the same price.

I disagree. I'm not digging the iPad I have access to for work anywhere near as much as I enjoy using an Android tablet. Not to mention all the limitations regarding memory, file transfers and so on.

Jump to Post

06.15.2012 5:36am

amaron

Arckanghel said:

I disagree. I'm not digging the iPad I have access to for work anywhere near as much as I enjoy using an Android tablet. Not to mention all the limitations regarding memory, file transfers and so on.

I don't disagree with you, but the sales numbers don't lie.

Android tablets barely sell, even though I loved mine.

Jump to Post

06.15.2012 10:44am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

That's because majority of the consumers are idiots when it comes to technology and for them, anything that works without needing to press more than a couple of buttons is the winner.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

06.15.2012 11:59pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Windows 8 is shit. Windows 9 will rock your world.

It's the Microsoft way.

Jump to Post

06.16.2012 1:38am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

I am not an Apple hater, but this video alone makes an extremely strong case for why Android is better than iOS:

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter