Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  The Dork Squad

comp doesn't like new RAM

11.26.2011 10:15pm
Thread Creator

silveryoshi
Registered Member

Hi,

So I recently tried to upgrade my old computer to speed it up a bit.  I put in 3 1GB PC3200 400Mhz sticks, but all I got is constant blue screens of death.  I run at 133 CPU frequency and tried to set the CPU/memory frequency ratio to both auto and 4:6 but both options led to the system crashing  Here are my specs:

ASUS p4S533
P4 2.4 Ghz
1 x 512 MB stick of RAM + 1 x 1GB PC 2700 333Mhz/PC 3200 400 Mhz

Thanks for the help,

Jump to Post

11.26.2011 10:43pm

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

What brand of memory is it and are you mixing it in with the old memory?

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

11.27.2011 12:16am
Thread Creator

silveryoshi
Registered Member

As for the 512 MB, yes it is very old.  It came with the computer when I got it 8 years ago.  I don't even know which brand it is.  Is there a place I could possibly verify this information?  The other one currently installed is a Lexar which I got a few weeks ago and it seems to be working just fine with the old one.  As for the three sticks I just got they're Patriot.  I'm not mixing these three with the old memory as my motherboard only has 3 slots.

Jump to Post

11.28.2011 10:11am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

It's definitely a memory mismatch.  Newer memory in old systems have this problem a lot, generally because the newer stuff is faster than what's called for and doesn't like to be run slower.

CPU-Z is the go-to processor and memory identifier.

Try setting your bus speed to 100 mHz, ratio to default, and twiddle with CAS timings.  You might have more luck at CAS 3 than any faster.  Otherwise, you're stuck with incompatible ram.  Find some better stuff.

Jump to Post

11.28.2011 1:12pm
Thread Creator

silveryoshi
Registered Member

If I lower the bus speed from 133 to 100, won't that slow down the processor, resulting in a slower computer?

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter