Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  The Dork Squad

motherboard questions, processor compatbility

09.04.2011 10:43pm
Thread Creator

noclist
Chalky Studebaker

I decided I want to upgrade the processor in my desktop, but I think I'm going to also need a new motherboard to do so. The motherboard I have is from about 7 years ago, the ASUS P4P800. From what I can tell, the best processor that I can put in it is a Pentium 4, 3.4 Ghz. I've never done this before so I'm not 100% sure if that is the case. Assuming I need a new motherboard, what type should I be looking for that can support at least the dual core processors? Are those the same boards that support the core i series or is that even more recent? Will a new motherboard be compatible with my current power supply/memory/etc? And is newegg the best place to get these types of things? Thanks for any help!

Jump to Post

09.05.2011 8:21am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Yeah, Socket 478 doesn't leave you any upgrade room at all - even the later Prescott P4's were using LGA775 sockets.

I'm very sorry to say, there's not going to be much you can do other than buy a new system. A new processor will require a new motherboard, yes. Which will in turn require new memory and a new videocard (you're using DDR or DDR2 memory, new systems require DDR3; you're most likely using an AGP or onboard videocard, new videocards are PCIe). Your old PSU may work, but don't count on it - some new boards still use the ATX20 connector, but only cheap ones, better ones use the ATX24 connector, and there is a major question if the +12v rail can supply enough juice. Old hard drives and old optical drives are more likely to work, but finding a motherboard that still has a single PATA connector is getting iffy - SATA300 is the norm.

Basically, the case may be salvageable. Maybe. Retire it, turn it into a folding@home client or pawn it off on a family member. If you have the bandwidth and play Minecraft, come help us set up FFO Minecraft.

Your best bet for compatibility, chose which processor you want to use, then check and see what socket it calls for, and buy a motherboard to match. Newegg is a good choice indeed for such things.

Jump to Post

09.05.2011 5:11pm
Thread Creator

noclist
Chalky Studebaker

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/17">Southern Comfort</a> said:</span>

Your best bet for compatibility, chose which processor you want to use, then check and see what socket it calls for, and buy a motherboard to match. Newegg is a good choice indeed for such things.
If I were to do this, I would also be building the entire computer from scratch since I would need new memory, etc. right? (I actually have 3 GB of memory in it, that is in fact DDR2.) So basically buying a new system in the $350-500 range would be easier and possibly cheaper to do?

Jump to Post

09.05.2011 7:12pm

Southern Comfort

Correct.

Jump to Post

09.05.2011 8:18pm

LB
Necromancer of Winning

Microcenter.com occasionally has some great deals. i3 with mobo combo's for doable prices.

Jump to Post

09.06.2011 9:39pm
Thread Creator

noclist
Chalky Studebaker

Just out of curiocity -

Accoring to <a title="this" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket#List_of_sockets_and_slots"; target="_blank">this</a> wikipedia article, the socket 478 came out in 2000. I got this machine in early 2004 so I'm wondering why I got such an outdated socket type. I had this machine custom built from a website called neocomputers, which doesn't seem to exist anymore. Anyone know anything about this company or what happened to them?

Jump to Post

09.07.2011 12:25am

Southern Comfort

If you're running DDR2, it's likely that you're processor is actually LGA775. But compatibility across LGA775 was broken between the P4 and the Core series.

Jump to Post

09.07.2011 7:49am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

It could be an LGA775 as SC has surmised, the problem remains, you're still at a replace everything point. Find a soul who only needs to browse the web or a good charity and grab a new box cheap. NewEgg is your friend. Don't forget Tigerdirect.com as well though, on occasion they are worth dealing with though their website is a pain in the ass.

Jump to Post

09.07.2011 3:38pm

Southern Comfort

Hmm... apparently there were LGA775 Pentium M's, and if you could get your hands on one, and your RAM could take it, you could wind those up to nearly 4.5 gHz on air cooling.

Finding one, on the other hand, will be a Herculean task.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter