Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

2011 MLB Postseason

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next >

10.03.2011 4:20am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

I too don't see the Cardinals making it, a lot of people didn't even think that they would get the Wild card slot last Wednesday.

But then they beat the Astros 8-0 in the 8th inning and the Phillies barely squeeked past the Braves with 4-3 in the 13th inning (Keeping the Braves from the slot).
So while I have my doubts, I still expect them to get into the top 4.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 12:33pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Philly will be fine, though that loss has to hurt.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 4:10pm

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

Onyx said:

I think right now the biggest detriment to the Cards' success is Tony LaRussa. Like the Eagles and Andy Reid, they succeed in spite of him.
This is exactly right.  La Russa has been a drain on the organization now for a long time with his shitty game management that everything thinks is genius, but really isn't, his insistence on gritty veterans despite the fact they are either over the hump or never had any real talent at all for the ML level, and his hatred of young up-and-comers who have skills and are cost controlled, but do not fit into his mold and whom he has no inclination to mold himself.  Brendan Ryan the year before and Colby Rasmus this year are the prime examples of La Russa throwing away cost controlled talent just because they weren't his type of player.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 4:26pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Rasmus is a boatload of problems. He has the attitude that he's God's gift to baseball and his only real coach will only ever be his dad, not the skipper of the ballclub that employs him. Unless something changes he will only ever be a mediocre to above average player. He didn't just conflict with LaRussa, he was conflicting with all of the veterans on the club. 

You can critique LaRussa all day long, and you'd be right. It doesn't change the fact that he came in and the Cardinals went from being a rather poor ballclub that missed the playoffs every year to being a club that regularly contends for the central divison and has won a couple pennants and a world series. 

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 6:07pm

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Here's hoping last year wasn't a fluke for the Rangers.

Oh, yes, as a Texan I'm legally obligated to hate and despise the Yankees - it's in the state constitution, there's a fine for not doing it - so, fuck the Yankees.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 6:56pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Go Yankees!

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 6:58pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Southern Comfort said:

Here's hoping last year wasn't a fluke for the Rangers.

Oh, yes, as a Texan I'm legally obligated to hate and despise the Yankees - it's in the state constitution, there's a fine for not doing it - so, fuck the Yankees.
I thought that was in the Boston Town charter, not Texas' state constitution.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 7:56pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I think it's federal law for anyone that isn't a Yankee fan to hate them. :P

Though that's a sign of their success. I don't think I've ever met a single person that's indifferent about the Bombers.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 8:24pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Amer said:

Rasmus is a boatload of problems. He has the attitude that he's God's gift to baseball and his only real coach will only ever be his dad, not the skipper of the ballclub that employs him. Unless something changes he will only ever be a mediocre to above average player. He didn't just conflict with LaRussa, he was conflicting with all of the veterans on the club.� 

You can critique LaRussa all day long, and you'd be right. It doesn't change the fact that he came in and the Cardinals went from being a rather poor ballclub that missed the playoffs every year to being a club that regularly contends for the central divison and has won a couple pennants and a world series.Ã?

Funny, ever since Rasmus landed in Toronto there have been no reports of any of the issues that apparently dogged him in St. Louis. Much like how Yunel Escobar was apparently a clubhouse cancer in Atlanta before being dealt to the Jays.

As far as LaRussa, I'd love to criticize his constant over-management, especially of his bullpen, but the man has been a damn good skipper over his career...though I'd love to see him coach without Dave Duncan to turn horrible pitchers into Tom Seaver.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 10:01pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Big Tall said:

Funny, ever since Rasmus landed in Toronto there have been no reports of any of the issues that apparently dogged him in St. Louis. Much like how Yunel Escobar was apparently a clubhouse cancer in Atlanta before being dealt to the Jays  

Yeah, but apparently as soon as he landed in Toronto he also forgot how to play baseball, looking at his stats. Maybe Tornoto is letting him have his way and his dad is there to tinker with his swing again? Can't say I've cared to look up anything about him since he was traded away. Either that or his slump made him eat crow and he's actually got some humility now.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 10:46pm

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

A few points:

1. I'm not going to debate the merits of Colby Rasmus.  He is a kid who has talent and issues to match.  But that doesn't change the facts that prior to his trade, he was doing better even during his slump than the guy who replaced him, La Russa basically ran him out of town by bitching to the press and forcing the hand of the GM, and the return for Rasmus in the trade was poor considering his long term prospective value.

2. There is still the example of Brendan Ryan, an exceptional defensive middle infielder (a position in which the Cardinals have little positive depth this season).  He got forced out and now this season he is viewed as a team leader where he has landed.  So it certainly works both ways.

3. It should be noted that since 2006 when the Cardinals won the WS, they have been noted for their late season slides after being out in front or close to it.  Tony's teams have over the last half decade had a habit of playing to the level of their competitors.  When they play hot teams, they excel and win, but when they play lousy teams like the Cubs or the Pirates, all bets are off.

Jump to Post

10.04.2011 2:28am

Amer
pew pew pew

In 35 games with the Jays he was only hitting .173 with 3 HR and 13 RBI. Without the pitching that the Cardinals picked up, they wouldn't be in the situation they are now. I don't doubt that he's talented, but this season, even before the trade...he just can't seem to find his swing. If I remember correctly,  LaRussa didn't start bitching about him until word got out that Rasmus had requested a trade. Later in the season even Pujols had to comment on Rasmus. He was obviously a distraction, and that's saying something with Pujols' elephant in the room contract negotiations. 

I do miss Ryan, and his stirrups.

Anyway, no use talking anymore about it. Cardinals will probably blow it. 

Jump to Post

10.04.2011 10:14am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

CaButler said:
I thought that was in the Boston Town charter, not Texas' state constitution.

The obligation is to hate every winning team that doesn't originate from Texas or come from a list of approved teams located south of the 40th parallel.

Jump to Post

10.04.2011 5:00pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

The fate of the Yankees is in the hands of A.J. Burnett. This seems incredibly fitting and I can't help but cackle. Then again, it seems like one of those spots where he'll remember how to pitch and throw a complete game two-hitter or something silly.

Jump to Post

10.04.2011 6:22pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

God, AJ, please come through tonight =(

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter