Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

2014 FIFA World Cup

06.20.2014 9:49pm
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I miss Zidane's bad boy persona. It provided plenty of drama

Jump to Post

06.23.2014 6:47am

Testament
Shamshot

US had that in the bag.

Jump to Post

06.23.2014 9:48am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

They should have, but at the same time if Howard doesn't make 2-3 miraculous saves the US loses big time.

Jump to Post

06.23.2014 12:43pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 06.23.2014 at 1:00pm)

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

That goal wasn't really Howard's fault. It was more a combination of a great clutch play by Portugal, and be US defense slacking off and allowing the break to happen in the first place.

You can argue that Germany's smartest strategy at this point may be to intentionally draw with the USA in order to ensure they both win the group and eliminate Portugal at the same time. They probably see the USA as less of a threat if they meet later in the tournament.

I'm not saying Germany should do that. It wouldn't be in the spirit of athletic competition. But it might be in their interest

Jump to Post

06.23.2014 1:50pm

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

Germany will go all-out to win.  Look up Austria-West Germany in the 1982 World Cup to find out why; there's no way they put themselves through that again.  

My biggest fear is that Portugal thumps Ghana, as this seems the most likely outcome fo their game, and could put the U.S. in severe danger.  But with the way Ghana has held their own, and how they outplayed Germany at stretches in that game (maybe the best game of the tournament so far), I see a close result with a Portugal win, and the U.S. going through.

Jump to Post

06.23.2014 2:15pm
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I agree. It's best to stay aggressive and not try to get too clever.

Jump to Post

06.24.2014 10:22am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

It seems like every team has issues on the back end in this tournament. The fire-wagon teams (Germany and the Dutch specifically), could be in trouble once the knockout stages hit. It's made for an incredibly entertaining and unpredictable tournament though, so I'm happy.

Jump to Post

06.24.2014 4:42pm

Testament
Shamshot

I like the Netherlands team, but would love to see Mexico win.

Jump to Post

06.25.2014 10:33pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Call said:

Germany will go all-out to win.  Look up Austria-West Germany in the 1982 World Cup to find out why; there's no way they put themselves through that again.  

My biggest fear is that Portugal thumps Ghana, as this seems the most likely outcome fo their game, and could put the U.S. in severe danger.  But with the way Ghana has held their own, and how they outplayed Germany at stretches in that game (maybe the best game of the tournament so far), I see a close result with a Portugal win, and the U.S. going through.

As US fans we need to root for Portugal.  For Portgual to win over the US they have to beat Ghana by a lot more goals than if Ghana wins over Portgual, they wouldn't have to beat them as bad to catch up to US in Goal difference.

And yeah defensively the US started playing like crap once they went up 2-1. I thought that goal was bound to happen.

Jump to Post

06.26.2014 7:20pm

Testament
Shamshot

US squeezes through.

Jump to Post

06.26.2014 10:54pm
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

And Portugal's divas go back to the beauty parlor.

Edit: no homophobia

Jump to Post

07.04.2014 3:28pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

I'll take Brazil, Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium in the quarterfinals.

Jump to Post

07.04.2014 4:14pm
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I'm choosing Columbia for the upset.

Jump to Post

07.04.2014 5:10pm

Testament
Shamshot

Yeah.  I have Germany, Columbia, Argentina & Netherlands.

Jump to Post

07.04.2014 7:22pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Colombia could upset Brazil, considering Neymar Jr is out.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter