Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Academy Awards 2013 Talk

01.19.2014 2:22pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

Weirdly I had written off Dallas Buyers Club in general, having been crowded out by flashier films with more defined campaign narratives. Now it's been recognized by a surprising number of branches (Writing, Editing), and has a serious shot at winning both Actor awards? Impressive for such a low-key film. 

shooter_mcgavin said:
12 Years a Slave I thought was pretty great but I think it's more a kind of film people admire than love (Academy votes with their hearts) but I doubt Hustle is heartfelt film either. So far it's anyone's game.

Last night on SNL I saw a commercial that just played MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech over clips of the film.

This campaign is going HARD. God love 'em, these bastards want to win.

Jump to Post

01.19.2014 5:05pm

Kal
yes

So what are the odds for Let it go as best song? A million to one?

Actually, I'm rooting for Ernest et Celestine as best animated. That movie was goddamn beautiful.

Jump to Post

01.20.2014 8:06am
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Producers Guild just gave the wins to both Gravity and 12 Years a Slave via a tie.

Meaning it does look like we have a 3 horse race between Gravity + 12 Years a Slave  + American Hustle

Jump to Post

01.20.2014 10:31am

The Hulk
Good Boy

Ugh, Gravity should not be in any list that isn't about effects.  What a pile of shit that was.

Jump to Post

01.20.2014 2:53pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

shooter_mcgavin said:

What about The Wind Rises, Miyazaki's last film? I think the Academy might want to recognize him one last time. And the last time Disney and Miyazaki went to head to head, Miyazaki came out on top.

1. It was nowhere near as popular as Spirited Away was and let's face it, this is the one category where you can easily say it's a popularity contest.

2. Too much controversy surrounding the movie. Granted, most of it was actually in Japan but a good portion was carried over to North America as well.

Jump to Post

01.20.2014 3:24pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 01.20.2014 at 5:48pm)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

The Hulk said:

Ugh, Gravity should not be in any list that isn't about effects.  What a pile of shit that was.

Ok ... but I'm still rooting for it :-P

Kal said:

So what are the odds for Let it go as best song? A million to one?

Clearley you never heard the epic Oscar Nominated Song of "Alone Yet Not Alone" the song is so epic it was able to get a nomination despite showing only in 11 theaters in a span of 3 weeks making $130,000 with no reviews in rottentomatoes and was reviewed by a whooping 29 people at IMDB before nominations were announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWVyVMbSzM4

and the equally impressive super amazing trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0TORpISk8

Jump to Post

01.20.2014 10:07pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

The Hulk said:

Ugh, Gravity should not be in any list that isn't about effects. What a pile of shit that was.

Moving on.

Jump to Post

01.20.2014 11:05pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

I kind of want to see American Hustle, but I felt so cheated by Silver Linings Playbook that I might just not. Silver Linings Playbook is a film about how you can cure bipolar disorder with love, and two mentally ill people who hook up will definitely live happily ever after, and how dangerous and emotionally abusive gambling is entirely justified if you win. Rely on divine providence because you are the main character of a movie and it will always work for you. Silver Linings Playbook suuuuuuuuuuuuucked, but it was filled with such likeable people that you didn't really notice until the movie was over. American Hustle looks to be the same way.

Jump to Post

01.21.2014 12:19am

Kal
yes

David O. Russell is such a huge dickface that I stay as far away from his movies as possible. That and the only one I saw (SLP) was boring as fuck.

Jump to Post

01.21.2014 7:51am

The Hulk
Good Boy

Catastrophe said:

Moving on.
No, the world must face this inconvenient truth.

Jump to Post

01.30.2014 4:33pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

The Best Original Song category is now down to four nominees on account of insider lobbying.

Jump to Post

01.30.2014 4:41pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Catastrophe said:

The Best Original Song category is now down to four nominees on account of insider lobbying.

LOL! Good riddance that song was pretty bad.

Jump to Post

03.02.2014 9:37am
Thread Creator (Edited on 03.02.2014 at 9:46am)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

My preidctiions:

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
Should Win: Gravity

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)
Should Win: Alfonso Guaron (Gravity)

Best Actor in a Leading Role: Matthew Mcconaughey in Dallas Buyers Club
Should Win: Chitewel Ejofor in 12 Years a Slave

Best Actress in a Leading Role: Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine
Should Win: Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine

Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club
Should Win: Michael Fassbender in 12 Years a Slave

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years a Slave
Should Win: Sally Hawkins in Blue Jasmine

Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave
Should Win: Before Midnight

Best Original Screenplay: Her
Should Win Blue Jasmine ... though I'd be really happy if Her wins too

Best Forigen Lanague Film: The Great Beauty
Best Animated Feature Film: Frozen
Best Documentary Feature: The Act of Killing

Best Live Action Short: The Voorman Problem
Best Animated Short: Get a Horse
Best Documentary Short Subject: The Lady in Number 6

Best Cinematography: Gravity
Should Win: Inside Llewyn Davis

Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby
Should Win: Her

Best Costume Design: 12 Years a Slave
Should Win: American Hustle

Best Hairstyling and Make Up: Dallas Buyers Club

Best Film Editing: Gravity

Best Visual Effects: Gravity

Best Sound Mixng: Gravity

Best Sound Editing: Gravity
Should Win: Captain Phillips

Best Original Score: Gravity
Should Win: Her

Best Original Song: "Let it Go" from Frozen

Jump to Post

03.02.2014 7:22pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

After last year's race I though it would be a while before we saw anything that competitive and unpredictable; it turns out 2013 is even more of a madhouse, with several big categories in serious contention. 

Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o seems like the frontrunner, but I still think Jennifer Lawrence can snatch this from behind. Prepare for lots of backlash.

Best Supporting Actor: Jordan Catalano all the way.

Best Original Screenplay: David O. Russel's been on such a streak that he has to eventually win something, and I think he'll get his chance here. Her would be a great pick but I don't see it for something this aggressively arty.

Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years.

Best Documentary: Not Stories We Tell, therefore I don't care.

Best Original Song: Probably Frozen, but I would love to see Pharrell Williams cement his position as Master of the Universe and make a push into EGOT territory.

Best Production Design: Her is one of the best visions of the future I've ever seen on film. I think this category is just small enough that its forward-thinking weirdness can win.

All of the Technical Awards: Gravity. All Gravity. So much Gravity.

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett has been the clear frontrunner since last spring, but will the recent Woody Allen controversy steer votes away and deny her the win? No. No it won't.

Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey has emerged as one of the best screen artists working today. From Magic Mike to Dallas Buyers Club to True Detective he figures out new ways to harness his body and spirit to create characters that are visceral, beastly, and alive. This will be the most well-deserved Oscar win of the past several years.

Best Director: Every logical piece of information says Cuaron will win. But when it comes down to the sci-fi blockbuster versus the vaguely arty / borderline middlebrow period piece, I still think the Academy will stick with their old ways. So I'll put it on the line and say Steve McQueen will win for his bracing, vivid, emotional portrayal of American history. 

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave.

Jump to Post

03.03.2014 6:15am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I was more interested in the visual fx picketing that was going on outside of the oscars than the oscars themselves.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter