Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Age of Ultron trailer leaks

05.04.2015 5:24am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I thought it was great.

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
It was a little messy in some areas, but that can happen when you have so many characters to keep track of in one movie now. I really liked Scarlet Witch and Elizabeth Olsen did a good job playing as her. It's a shame they had to kill off quick silver, I feel we didn't really get to see him as a character all too much. I really though they were going to kill off Hawk Eye but I'm glad they didn't and I like that we got a bit of character development from him despite him not having his own movies to work with. I liked him in this movie.
Ultron was pretty good. I didn't think he was that threatening though, the avengers seemed to lay into him pretty easily even with a vibranium skeleton. But I guess that's to be expected when the hulk goes on a rampage.

Jump to Post

05.04.2015 9:04am

The Hulk
Good Boy

It was maybe marginally better than the first, but still a whole load of meh overall.  Characters as shallow as a puddle and over-the-top, no stakes action.

On a related note I finally got round to properly seeing Watchmen in all it's three-and-a-half-fucking-hours glory and, while it certainly had its flaws, that pretty much blew all of the Marvel movies out the water without breaking a sweat.

Jump to Post

05.04.2015 2:13pm
 (Edited on 05.04.2015 at 2:26pm)

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I was thoroughly entertained.  Probably on par with the first Avengers, better than the overall bulk of Phase 1, better than Thor 2 and IM3, but not as good as the high-bar-setting Winter Soldier or Guardians.

I feel like in the supposed extended cut the Blu Ray is supposed to have, Falcon will show up with the Hellicarier and War Machine.  I mean it would have made sense, and he's there at the end with the New Avengers line-up, but considering how crowded the battle scene was even BEFORE Fury, Hill, and Rhodey showed up, I can see why he'd be the low man on the totem pole and get editted out.

I really liked Vision, but at the same time he kind of screws the movie up.  "Hey remember all those gems that are supposed to be so powerful--I mean we devoted an entire movie to new character being terrified of one of them out in spaaaace--yeah well I have one attached to my head and it shoots LAZER BEAMS."

Worth it for his use of the hammer, though.

Andy Serkis' character:
Well... good thing his name is already Klaw, amirite?  Ultron was practically doing him a favor.

Jump to Post

05.04.2015 5:30pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Regarding a new character:

Speaking of Vision using the Mind Gem, I'm guessing Vision's going to die in Infinity War Part 1 when Thanos rips it out of him?

Jump to Post

05.04.2015 5:46pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Yeaaaaaaah, the mid-credits teaser is basically like giving him a death sentence.

Same goes for the Nova Corps, really.  The other two are, I think, in Asgard, yeah?  I know the Tesseract one is, but I haven't seen Thor 2 in a while.  I'm guessing that'll be involved in RAGNAROK somehow, which is BAD NEWS IN GENERAL for everyone in Asgard.

Jump to Post

05.04.2015 6:15pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Zubis said:

Regarding a new character:

Speaking of Vision using the Mind Gem, I'm guessing Vision's going to die in Infinity War Part 1 when Thanos rips it out of him?

It occurred to me today (for anyone who knows the comics) - Vision in the movie is basically Adam Warlock.  They were both artifically created by villains.  Since this Vision is made more of "flesh" than robotics, and has an Infinity Gem, and is all tranquil and such, he's basically just Warlock.  Which implies a death and resurrection story coming.

Jump to Post

05.04.2015 7:49pm

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

I fully expect many deaths between now and Infinity War part 2.  I'd imagine most will be revived at some point using the time gem.  Wouldn't surprise me seeing Bucky take up the Captain America mantle at some point.  Will be interesting to see who survives Phase 3.

Jump to Post

05.04.2015 9:20pm

grey_haven
Formerly known as 'Trekster'

I hope Infinity Wars is worth it, because them jamming the foreshadowing in is awkward as hell. I really liked Avengers 2 up until Vision showed up. His introduction was just all kinds of  forced, I thought. It's not even that I disliked the character, it just didn't seem to fit the narative of the story.
And why is Thanos busting out his gauntlet? Is he just gonna wear it for the next two or so years and not use it?

Maybe Infinity Wars will be awesome. All the teasing they did for Avengers in Phase 1 worked out, but the more they force the Infinity Gems into these movies the more I doubt it will be.

Jump to Post

05.05.2015 3:29pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

The more I think about this movie the more I realize... it truly is the movie version of a blockbuster crossover comics event.

So you have the Main Series, which is AGE OF ULTRON, issues 1-6, which is the movie.  And there are a few... gaps, not necessarily plot holes so much as things the plot didn't bother explaining, lines you can fairly easily connect the dots with on your own.

Imagine a tie-in miniseries, AGE OF ULTRON: THOR.  In the main series we see Thor go to the vision pool or whatever, and then suddenly he's like "DUDE WE SHOULD LET TONY MAKE THE VISION".  In AGE OF ULTRON: THOR, we see what happens in his vision, maybe get a wider look at how he knows about the other Infinite Gems, etc.  None of that's in the movie, as none of it would be in the main AGE OF ULTRON comic series.  It's a footnote in the overall plot.  "It's the fourth of the gems to make its presence known*..." and at the bottom of the comic panel is a text box that reads "In AGE OF ULTRON: THOR #2!".

And there's AGE OF ULTRON: AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D., which explains where Fury got the helicarrier from, and where his the crew to fly it came from, how Coulson's team is involved.  Again, not in the main series, but "I pulled it out of mothballs*..." [*In AGE OF ULTRON: AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #4!]  It could also connect to the TV series without making the direct connection (in fact I sort of think this is what the rest of AOS's season is going to be about).

AGE OF ULTRON: PRELUDE is all about the Avengers searching for Loki's staff and smashing up Hydra.

AGE OF ULTRON: IRON MAN is all about why Tony's characterization in IM3 is sort of ignored.

AGE OF ULTRON:  THE TWINS is all about how Wanda and Pietro went from being trapped in what looked like Hydra cells in Winter Soldier to being willing Hydra assets in AoU.

Everything filling little niggling gaps in AGE OF ULTRON, while allowing AGE OF ULTRON to (mostly) stand on its own.  It's even easy to imagine supporting characters like Pepper or Jane or Falcon or Bucky getting expanded rolls in the various tie-in minis.

But of course we (mostly, TV series notwithstanding) don't have that, all we have is the main series, with its little gaps, and its little asterix footnotes that don't actually lead anywhere.

And honestly?  That's kind of cool, from a comics fan perspective (even if, as a comics fan, I fuckin' hate crossovers).

[edit to add] AGE OF ULTRON: VISION, a bizarre meta "arty" comic about the transition from Jarvis to Vision.  AGE OF ULTRON: BLACK PANTHER, about Klaw/Klaue stealing Vibranium from Wakanda and having to deal with the titular hero. 

Jump to Post

05.05.2015 5:31pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

reido:
AGE OF ULTRON: THE BARTONS - Part romance comic, part DIY manual for reflooring a room!
AGE OF ULTRON: FALCON - So you thought he just disappeared for the whole movie?  Yeah that's all that happened - not a lot of content here!
AGE OF ULTRON: COCKTAIL! - Black Widow has a taste for bartending now. Watch her journey through getting her TIPS certification!

Question about Quicksilver:
Does anyone understand what actually HAPPENED to him?  He moved Hawkeye and the kid out of the way, right?  If he runs faster than bullets and they were fine, why was he not?  Like why didn't he stay in shelter with them?

Thinking more about it though, it seems extrememly likely that he will be brought back in some form in Infinity War.

Jump to Post

05.05.2015 5:57pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Hahahahahaha

He got Joss'd.

The whole movie is basically Hawkeye throwing up "I'M DOOMED" flags--family at home, pregnant wife, "last mission"--suddenly, kid in danger!  Almost safe, but have to make that one last rescue.

Joss was all, "Well, someone's gotta die, but what about this TWIST!"

Jump to Post

05.05.2015 7:21pm

grey_haven
Formerly known as 'Trekster'

Colinp42 said:

Question about Quicksilver:
Does anyone understand what actually HAPPENED to him?  He moved Hawkeye and the kid out of the way, right?  If he runs faster than bullets and they were fine, why was he not?  Like why didn't he stay in shelter with them?

Thinking more about it though, it seems extrememly likely that he will be brought back in some form in Infinity War.

That threw me too. I acutally thought at first that he was running around in front of all the bullets taking them for Hawkeye, but then I was like...wait...why didn't he just move Hawkeye and the kid out of the way?"

I didn't see that comming, because it was REALLY forced.

Jump to Post

05.06.2015 6:17pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Saw it, loved it, really want to see it again.

I was pleasantly surprised how well things went, given the number of characters, and new characters, that were in it. At the end of the day, everything worked well, IMO. As a few have mentioned, we have some deaths coming. Quicksilver is far from the last, considering we're heading straight into Civil War.

Jump to Post

05.06.2015 8:16pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Anyone see the stuff from Whedon about who he WANTED to put in at the end?  Spoilers I guess for stuff that DIDN'T happen in the movie:

He wanted both Captain Marvel and Spider-Man to be in the New Avengers lineup at the end.  But they said no to Captain Marvel because they didn't want to introduce her like that (why NOT?!), and for Spider-Man the deal just wasn't ready in time.  Sigh...

Jump to Post

05.06.2015 9:42pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Because roughly 90% of the audience--who, let's be honest, are not comics fans!--would be like
"who the fuck's the blonde in the weird getup, standing there with all these other character I immediately recognize from the movie I just watched?--oh, and also Falcon--wait Falcon was in this movie, holy shit I completely forgot!"

I don't necessarily AGREE with that, but I understand the logic.

And I say this as a guy who regularly wears a shirt with her on it, so.

I keep adding shit to this post.

Considering her connection to the US military (or, possibly, New?Shield?) I really hope she has a part in Civil War...

Which, btw, just cast Martin Freeman.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter