Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Cabin in the Woods

< Prev 1 2 Next >

04.14.2012 4:46pm
Thread Creator

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Go see it! It was produced by Joss Whedon, and written by him and Drew Goddard. AKA is was awesome. I avoided watching the trailer because it was apparently spoilerish, so going in completely blind was awesome. Also, do not be like that couple we argued with after the movie was over who hated it because it "wasn't scary."

Jump to Post

04.14.2012 5:54pm

Sei'taer
lost

There's no such thing as a "scary" movie.

Jump to Post

04.14.2012 7:06pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

It's okay. It works more as a brainy excercise than a movie, like one of those scripts you read that seems interesting but you can't imagine would actually get made. I don't really know why they're going to such lengths to keep everything a secret -- pretty much everything of consequence is laid out in the first ten minutes, and we get an omniscient view of everything, so there are very few real surprises.

If the words "It's a comment on genre!" actually mean anything to you, you'll probably like it.

Jump to Post

04.14.2012 9:32pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Eh I already watched the movie two years ago when they were working on it at rhythm & hues.

Jump to Post

04.15.2012 2:59am

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

GO SEE IT. NOW. DO NOT WAIT.

If you are a true horror fan, you owe it to yourself to see this movie NOW.

Why are you still here?!

Also, let's keep the spoilers down (or at least marked as such) guys, seriously. There are lot of surprises in this movie.

Jump to Post

04.15.2012 4:04pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

That was pretty wild, and possibly one of the most meta things I've ever seen

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
although those elder gods are unnecessarily picky if they still want the stoner's blood after all the monsters paint the facility with the staff

Jump to Post

04.15.2012 10:50pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Actually I was thinking the same thing lol but it's all pretty specific as to what's needed, as is indicated.

After all, I didn't see a blue-collar worker on one of the collection stones, did you? :P

Jump to Post

04.15.2012 11:31pm

Kal
yes

The poster got me super intrigued but I've been trying to avoid reading anything about it before seing it.
It's been very long since I've seen a movie I knew absolutely nothing about and from what I hear this is exactly the type of movie you want to see with zero prior knowledge of it.

Jump to Post

04.16.2012 12:20am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

This was one of the elite few, the movie that made me want to sneak back in and watch it again. 

It is so damn good, oh man.

Jump to Post

04.16.2012 12:31am
Thread Creator

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

This movie left me leaving the theater satisified in a way that I haven't felt in quite a while. I'm with reido, I'm really jonesing to go see it again.

Jump to Post

04.16.2012 2:03am

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

One thing I did like was:

This was the first time in years that I was actually surprised by a surprise cameo, rather than some random cockbite writing a blog comment or INCLUDING IT IN THE REVIEW before the movie opens.

Also, I haven't seen anyone else ask this, but who was actually responsible for sabatoging the operation? I mean making it so the pot wasn't laced and the cave didn't blow. Was this kept ambiguous or did I just totally fall asleep when it was revealed? 

Jump to Post

04.16.2012 2:06am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Mole:
I'm pretty sure it's mentioned that Marty traded the laced pot for his regualar stuff, or that the fact that he smokes so much--or the specific weed he smokes--made him immune to Chem's attempts to control him.  I can't remember if this was actually in the movie or something I read someone speculating later, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also--the cave in  didn't go off because of a power surge, probably caused by Marty fucking around with the elevator controls.  "Upstairs" is the killing ground.

Jump to Post

04.16.2012 2:47pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Reido is correct on all counts

Jump to Post

04.16.2012 3:05pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

This was definitely one movie that I went into blind. I'd watched the trailers but really, they don't reveal all that much. I managed to read reviews just to get people's general impression but actively avoided any spoilerific reviews.

Mole:
Sigourney Weaver's cameo was a complete surprise. And I loved it. When The Director comes over the PA system, I thought to myself "That sounds like Sigourney Weaver...I guess it's just a vocal cameo." And then she actually appeared and my jaw literally dropped.

reido is right. It was actually mentioned. It's almost in passing but it is indeed mentioned that
Marty was immune to the toxins that they were using because of what he was smoking. My guess is, is the marijuana was just plain making him immune and not that he'd switched it with another batch or anything like that. I think the 'puppeteers' just didn't take that into account. I really don't remember anything being said about trading his stash, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it was just the fact that he was smoking it that made him immune.

Jump to Post

04.16.2012 11:40pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

Saw it the other day. It's a fun little flick. I don't think it's at the sheer level of brilliace that some are making it out to be but you could do worse for a couple hours of your time.

I'd say for me the most notable thing about the movie is that they took the standard character achetypes and gave them just enough of a twist to make it a bit more intersting.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter