Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Episode Gets Cinema Screenings

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Will you go to the cinema to watch it.

Show Poll Results

10.22.2013 2:59pm
Thread Creator

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Source: DoctorWho.TV

The 50th Anniversary episode The Day of the Doctor will be screened in 3D in cinemas across the UK, Ireland, the US, Canada, Germany and Russia, doctorwho.tv can reveal.

The cinema screenings will take place the same time as the UK TV broadcast on BBC One on 23rd November 2013, giving fans another unique opportunity to be part of a truly global celebration for the iconic British drama series.216 VUE, Cineworld, Odeon, BFI and Picturehouse cinemas in the UK and Ireland have already confirmed their participation, with tickets for the anniversary screening set to go on sale this Friday October 25th at 9am. Locations include London, Birmingham, Belfast, Dublin, Liverpool, Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Internationally, German, Russian, American* and Canadian* fans will be able to gather in cinemas to enjoy the simulcast release with approximately 30 cinemas in Germany and up to 50 theatres debuting the episode in Russia. The celebrations will cross time (and space) zones travelling over the equator to New Zealand and Australia where fans will have a choice of 106 cinemas across both countries to view the episode in 3D on the big screen on the 24th November, following the simulcast TV broadcast earlier in the morning.

Head over to our Where To Watch The Day of the Doctor map to find participating cinemas chains. More cinemas will be added to the map as theyâ??re confirmed, so keep checking back.

In addition to Matt Smith, the one-off special, entitled The Day of the Doctor stars former Time Lord David Tennant and Jenna Coleman, with Billie Piper and John Hurt*BBC America will this week announce details regarding the 3D screenings of the anniversary episode in select theatres across the US and Canada.

I'm kinda tempted to go my local cinema to watch this instead of watching it at home, though I've not been a fan of 3D

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 11:56pm

JSG
Registered Member

Maybe, but 3D pretty much unsold me on it.

Jump to Post

10.23.2013 12:43am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I'd heard the theater version was going to have a few extra minutes of footage. I'm off Monday the 25th anyhow, so I'll probably see it in 3D for funzies. The 23rd can not come soon enough. 

I take it by now we've all seen this magnificent trailer:

Jump to Post

10.23.2013 9:29am

The Hulk
Good Boy

^I think there are BBC regulations in place which wouldn't allow that, though I may be wrong.

Anyway if it's 3D only I'm definitely out, but even if there are 2D screenings the general lacklustreness (new word of the day) of the show now means I'm not overly eager to snag a seat. 

Jump to Post

11.14.2013 7:19pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

Check out the new mini-episode.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 4:18am

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Old Juan said:

AAH! AAAAAAAAH!

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
EIGHTH DOCTOR OH GOD YES

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 4:42am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Old Juan said:

Brilliant. Only would've been more brilliant if McGann had regenerated into Eccleston. I'm still iffy on this wedging-in-a-regeneration thing with John Hurt, and the more I think about it, the more I think Stephen Moffat just wanted to still be in charge of the show when the final regeneration/incarnation of the Doctor came about.

Now give Paul McGann his own miniseries of 8th Doctor television adventures! Especially since Torchwood and SJA are off the air.

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 5:17am

Jaran

Nelfichu said:

Brilliant. Only would've been more brilliant if McGann had regenerated into Eccleston. I'm still iffy on this wedging-in-a-regeneration thing with John Hurt, and the more I think about it, the more I think Stephen Moffat just wanted to still be in charge of the show when the final regeneration/incarnation of the Doctor came about.

Now give Paul McGann his own miniseries of 8th Doctor television adventures! Especially since Torchwood and SJA are off the air.

I am all about an 8th doctor series, assuming they film the audio adventures with Lucie Miller, which are fucking perfect

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 5:49am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Nelfichu said:

the more I think about it, the more I think Stephen Moffat just wanted to still be in charge of the show when the final regeneration/incarnation of the Doctor came about.

You assume there WILL be a final regeneration of The Doctor. The regeneration limit is something they made up as an arbitrary limitation when they weren't really thinking about lore or the future back in the 60s. I wouldn't ebe surprised if, and fully expect for, Stephen Moffat or whoever comes after him completely handwaves the whole thing away. And who would blame him? Doctor Who is a HUGE thing for the BBC, and changing actors is inevitable. Why kill the golden goose because of poorly thought out decisions made 50 years go?

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 8:20am

Zubis
Registered Member

The 13th regeneration thing is rubbish really. They'll easily overcome it. I doubt they'll even put in references to it.

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 1:19pm

Jaran

Yeah I don't think anyone doubts their ability to wibbly wobbly timey wimey their way out of that one

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 2:30pm
Thread Creator

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Well the master came back after using up all his regenerations in the Classic series, it was part of the plot of the 1997 film, so there are ways around it.

There are other ways to argue around it to extend how many regenerations he has left. The first two weren't even called regenerations, the second regeneration was forced on him, and regenerations three and four involved some form of outside help. You could also argue that since River Song gave up her regenerations so that he could survive after she poisoned him, that he is now using up her regenerations instead of his own. Since we've only seen two of her regenerations, we could assume he still has 10 more to get through.

Also, If The Doctor is the name he gave himself, whose to stop someone else from taking the name continuing on with it. They could always have his clone/daughter turn up, have The Doctor die, then have her carry on with it.

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 5:56pm

JSG
Registered Member

I really expect them to just ignore it.  Doctor Who isn't known for its strong sense of continuity anyway.

Jump to Post

11.15.2013 6:35pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 11.15.2013 at 6:42pm)

OrionHardy
Otherworld

JSG said:

I really expect them to just ignore it.  Doctor Who isn't known for its strong sense of continuity anyway.

I don't. The twelve regenerations thing is deeply entrenched amongst the viewer consciousness (especially among the classic fan-base) that they'll be stupid to try and simply drop it without any explanation. If they did they'd probably get a fan backlash on the same scale as when they suggested that the doctor was have human during the 1997 film.

Jump to Post

11.16.2013 7:13pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Moffat has referenced the limit in interviews, I doubt he'll ignore it, in fact I'd be surprised if it didn't come up at all during the handover to Capaldi.

And McGann...doesn't that almost make you depressed for the amount of good stuff we should have seen from him but never did?  He really should have had equal billing for the special, fuck John Hurt the interloper.

(and namedropping the big finish companions was ballsy, SM sure does like to rile up the fanbase)

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter