Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Elysium

08.11.2013 12:26am
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Holy shit this movie was amazing! I need to go see it again.

Jump to Post

08.11.2013 3:55am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I haven't heard many good things about it.  Which might have a silver lining in that it'll get him make the D9 sequel sooner.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

08.11.2013 4:07am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

I enjoyed it but thought the second half of the movie squandered the excellent first half.

Jump to Post

08.11.2013 11:23am

Som
Genitals are Funny

It not out here till Wednesday, but stuff i have read, till i came here said it was great. Only bad thing said about it is it opened with that stupid fucking jennifer Aniston movie, so a great movie will flop, like Pacific Rim did.

Jump to Post

08.12.2013 2:44pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Well it was number one at the North American box office, so all is not lost yet.

It was indeed a terrific movie. Great cast, although Jodie Foster was a little under-utilized. It does have some similarities to District 9, but not as many as some are claiming.

Jump to Post

08.12.2013 4:18pm
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

The only similarities I saw were shanty towns. A group of people being opressed by another and Wikus.

Jump to Post

08.31.2013 8:42pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Finally saw it last night, wasn't super impressed by the story but the concept/universe was pretty cool. Needed more robots.

Jump to Post

09.01.2013 12:20am

Som
Genitals are Funny

I saw it last week. I really liked it, but the best part was it made me want to watch District 9 again, and i fucking love that movie.

Jump to Post

09.01.2013 1:49am
 (Edited on 09.01.2013 at 2:29am)

Zo
another blue ribbon

I wasn't hugely impressed. The message is so heavy-handed I left the movie with a concussion. 
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
So you mean to tell me that Elysium had an entire planet's worth of medbots built up and ready to go, and didn't deploy them purely because rich people are dicks?

Plus Jodie Foster's character was limp as hell. Ambitious ice queen bitch... that quietly dies for no reason so that Kruger can be the baddie for the big action-y finale.

Plus the entire film took itself so seriously that it was a huge relief whenever Sharlto Copley was onscreen, just generally hamming it up and having a whale of a time. More movie villains should be mad South African bastards.

Jump to Post

09.01.2013 7:15am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

^ I liked his level of crazy but couldn't understand a word of what he was saying half the time.

Jump to Post

09.01.2013 1:39pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

I have South African mates, so I got a lot of the slang etc, but yeah I'm sure the accent is pretty impenetrable otherwise.

Jump to Post

09.03.2013 2:59pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Tristan said:

^ I liked his level of crazy but couldn't understand a word of what he was saying half the time.

Oddly enough, he was easier to understand in District 9 than he was in Elysium. Either way, not an impenetrable accent but yeah, definitely some spots it was like 'Huh?'

Jump to Post

09.07.2013 4:40pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Elysium [Thumbs Up] - It's no District 9 and it feels more like a First-Person Videogame than director Neill Blomkamp's debut feature film which had a greater emphasis in the setting and social commentary than violence and gore. Elysium as those elements of violence and commentary but the priorities are reversed. Still it makes an enjoyable sci-fi action movie, especially with Sharlto Copely as the villain, but with a questionable and probably illogical plot.

Did the movie meet my expectations? No
Is it still worth watching? For the most part, yes

Regarding the plot at the end

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
So they override the system so everyone will become a citizen. Ok so it gives people an instant access to medical benefits via the medbay but is this really a good ending? I mean so everyone's profile gets overwritten through hacking. I work in the IT industry and a common security measure is to always create a method to audit the data (like changes in the information) or a backup production system in case of instances like this. And the movie is the year 21xx something, wouldn't Elysium have that security protocol? I mean in theory some tech guy in Elysium could just trace data changes via a change log database and see whose records were recently changed from "Illegal" to "Citizen" and revert those changes.

Jump to Post

09.08.2013 6:17am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

nothign about this movie made any goddamn sense.

it's just like olympus has fallen where it was great when people werent' talking

one of the most cringe inducing opening scenes i've ever seen.  characters in the phantom menace had more development than these.  the shaky cam when max is wrestling the droid when killing generic evil businessman was vomit inducing, same for the final fight scene with Sharlto Fucking Copely.  

overpopulation has left the planet in ruins so let's solve it by curing every single fucking person on the planet with the least explained literal plot device in the history of mankind that we've had enough of just sitting around able to be deployed at a second's notice.

and that's only slightly more asinine than the idea that the entire place can be rebooted in a second and whoever clicks the button first becomes president

who the fuck is this director and what did they do with the guy who made district 9

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter