Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Frozen

12.09.2013 3:41pm
Thread Creator

Colinp42
Registered Member

Anyone see it yet?  You cannot judge based on the marketing they did for this movie.  It seems like the main focus is on the talking snowman, but he doesn't appear until like an hour in maybe (and he actually is really funny at times).  I have now seen it twice and am obsessed.  At it's core it's a story about two sisters that turns traditional Disney tropes on their head.  And the soon to be Oscar winning song, Let It Go, is phenominal.  But don't listen to/watch it before seeing the movie, because it went in a different direction than I was expecting and I really enjoyed the surprise.  Kristin Bell does her own singing and has an amazing voice.  I might recommend seeing it in 3D because there is a Mickey short at the beginning that really is pretty pointless without 3D (Mickey is voiced by Disney - using all pre-existing sound clips) - but the actual movie I don't think gained much from 3D.

Jump to Post

12.09.2013 4:01pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I definitely want to see this. As an animator I just need to see this for the animation alone.

Jump to Post

12.09.2013 5:22pm

Kal
yes

I watched Catching Fire and Frozen back to back and I really liked both (for different reasons, obviously).
Frozen is a great testament to Renaissance era Disney and probably the best "musical" Disney since Beauty and the Beast (while there have been some great songs after BatB, that's the last disney that really felt like an animated broadway show, imo).
The songs are brilliant and brilliantly performed. I had no idea Kristen Bell could sing like that. She could do a fantastic Belle.
Yes, we're going to hear a LOT of Let it Go over the holiday season and it's obviously going to get the oscar, but it really deserves it. Defying-Gravity-level show-stopper right there and Idina Menzel is absolutely extraordinary as always. The other songs are all great in their own right too. (at times, I really felt like I was listening to Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth together again)

The story is great, a very refreshing change, and a step in the right direction for Disney. 

Now for cons: 
They could've explored Sami culture a bit more and usual complaints about diversity definitely apply here, once again... It's gonna take time for Disney to really change, is it?
Visuals were very pretty but I thought Elsa and Anna's designs were decidedly boring and they really need to stop streamlining their female designs so much. They all look like barbie dolls. (c.f. the controversy about women being hard to design because they're too "emotional"). 

Overall, a great, uplifting and original (for a disney) family movie and was especially fun to see after the horribly bleak Catching Fire.

Jump to Post

12.09.2013 9:12pm
Thread Creator

Colinp42
Registered Member

Kal said:

Visuals were very pretty but I thought Elsa and Anna's designs were decidedly boring and they really need to stop streamlining their female designs so much. They all look like barbie dolls. (c.f. the controversy about women being hard to design because they're too "emotional").

Heh, I read on a review somewhere that Elsa looked too much like a Real Housewife after her "transformation," and then I couldn't un-see it.  My real regret with the movie was that Jonathan Groff didn't sing more.  Seems a waste.

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I'm not really sure what the message is, or if there IS a message, at how unintentionally abusive the parents were to Elsa.  Really they could be seen as the "villain" of the movie

Jump to Post

12.09.2013 11:25pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I took my niece to see it last week. It was a great movie and I definitely recommend it. The detail of the animation for when Elsa creates ice was incredible so I know you'll appreciate the work that had to have gone into that Id82. Let It Go is definitely the breakaway song of the movie and award-worthy. Some parts of the plot I saw coming a mile away but a lot of it was still executed well.

I knew the moment he appeared on screen that Hans would be a bad guy, and I'm glad a Disney movie finally debunked the love at first sight motif, suggested that it was not a good idea to marry someone you just met. I really liked that the true love of this movie was a love shared by two sisters. Refreshing and a welcome positive message for the kids.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

12.09.2013 11:34pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

I realise I'm not in any way the target audience of this movie, but the marketing for Frozen is as obnoxious as the marketing for Tangled was (ie. trying to sucker kids into watching a Disney movie by making it look and sound as Dreamworks-circa-2006 as possible). 

Seriously, the ads for this in cinemas are terrrrrrrible. I still want to go and see it, but that's pretty much down to word of mouth (you guys/Twitter) and despite all my intial impressions.

Jump to Post

12.10.2013 3:06pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Taking the oldest to see this this weekend.

Jump to Post

12.10.2013 3:13pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

1. Let it Go gets the Oscar. Done and done.
2. Olaf's adorable, and his song is a charmer.
3. Love at first sight is bullsh*t.
4. Kristof is HOT.
5. It's Weselton, not Weaselton.
6. The animation is stellar, bar none.
7. Anna's adorable; girl's got sass and spunk.

My big issues:
1. When this was first announced four or five years ago, it was supposed to be done in traditional animation. Now we'll never know what that might have looked like.
2. No clear villain, and then when they try to reveal one, it's too little, too late.

Other than that, it's a great movie.

Jump to Post

12.10.2013 8:46pm
 (Edited on 12.10.2013 at 9:09pm)

Zo
another blue ribbon

Gorgeous, gorgeous film. Really pleasantly surprised, even if the ending turned out to be more... intellectually than emotionally satisfying? But the whole package was pretty delicious really... even if you do get Jonathan Groff and don't let him sing more than one song. SIGH.

Jump to Post

12.11.2013 9:00am

Kal
yes

Zo said:

Gorgeous, gorgeous film. Really pleasantly surprised, even if the ending turned out to be more... intellectually than emotionally satisfying? But the whole package was pretty delicious really... even if you do get Jonathan Groff and don't let him sing more than one song. SIGH.
Well it's still better than getting Idina Menzel and not making her sing at all. I'm looking at you Enchanted.

Jump to Post

12.16.2013 2:43pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

So this was great.  Not Tangled-great or Wreck-It-Ralph-great, but close.  Disney is on fire.

It's an ambush film for kids.
The big twist with Hanz (which made an adult in my theater gasp out loud, and another blurt out "OH NO") is amazing because, honestly, up until that points he's been presented like any other Prince Charming type--handsome, charming, and completely hollow.  At first he's a commentary on how characters like Prince Eric or Prince Phillip (I'm showing my dad card here) show up, charm the pants off the Princess, and carry her off into the sunset with little more than a dash of charm and no real personality... and then the movie does its big heel-turn, and suddenly it's so much more, because that tropey Prince Charming he's been so far? is incredibly sinister.

It's not just saying Love at First Sight is bullshit, it's saying Love at First Sight is fucking dangerous.

Anna and Elsa are awesome.  Kristof and Sven cleaved a little too close to Flynn and Maximus territory, but then Kristof started talking for Sven and I forgave them because it was hilarious.  Even Olaf was great and I went into it thinking he was going to be obnoxious.

I only have minor complaints, really.  Elsa's post-freakout attire seemed weirdly contemporary and out-of-place (particularly when in-shot with Anna's more traditional garb), and the pacing particularly leading up to that was a little off (the gorgeous castle creation made up for it, though).  Pacing in general was a problem.

Things my 4 year old is not afraid of:
1) Giant scary snowman monsters.
2) Accidental bodily harm.
3) Scary ice powers.
4) Wolves.

Things my 4 year old IS afraid of:
1) Dishonest dudes lying and plotting to kill people.

So proud.

Jump to Post

12.22.2013 2:00am

Amer
pew pew pew

My daughter and I really enjoyed this. 

Things my 3 year old is afraid of: The Maleficent trailer before the movie....seriously? 

I really didn't think I would like Olaf as much as I did. 

I can't wait for the Musical to come out. Would see. 

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter