Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

GAME OF THRONES: SEASON 4

< Prev 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Next >

09.25.2014 7:00am

Lexx
I know how they work

Rhaegar said:

D&D's sexism is apparent to anyone who's seen all four seasons, especially 2-4. And I'm hardly the first to note it, on here or otherwise. In fact, other posters on here were even more unforgiving about it than me a few pages back in this thread.

You made a completely disingenuous comparison and false equivalency. Too bad you didn't read the rest of that, or you would've known how those weren't comparable. And when you make such a comparison without thinking it through, then, yes, I expect the worst out of you. Because you haven't shown any better this entire "debate." Or the debate over FFXV, for that matter. I know it sucks to be told you're wrong, but man up on it when you're called out on it, thanks.

Is reido also an unrepentant sexist?  Because he said he was still willing to play FFXV, too.  The same as me.  All I was saying was that boycotting the game was overreacting, and that writers should have the freedom to write what they want, good or bad.  My actual opinion on the cast mirrored reido's.

As for Euron and Arianne:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
In the books, Arianne's actions affect Myrcella, which affects Cersei, and she'll have an impact on Young Griff.  She also, along with the Sand Snakes, was riling up the smallfolk of Sunspear to call for vengeance against the Lannisters.

Euron's actions have a major impact on the Tyrell's, who have to choose whether to defend The Reach or keep their armies in the Crownlands as a check on Cersei.  He also has some sort of plan for Daenerys.

Now, I'm interested in hearing why you think Arianne is more important than Euron is to the plot.  If you can do so without resorting to knee-jerk ad hominems, that'd be nice, too.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 7:01am

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Someone call an adult, it's about to get real

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 7:08am
 (Edited on 09.25.2014 at 7:20am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Oh, so you're one of those "devil's advocate" dicks, then?

Oh, and I never said Arianne was MORE IMPORTANT than Euron. I said that she isn't interchangeable with another character the way Euron is for show adaptation purposes. Replacing Arianne with an aged and whitewashed Trystane changes completely the SIGNIFICANCE of the Dorne setting (unique inheritance rules, motive to protect inheritance, etc.). On the other hand, replacing Euron with, say, a Balon who unlike in the books is still alive doesn't really change the dynamics of the Ironborn plotline, since they're both old men who want to conquer shit. Balon could even very easily sail for Daenerys in place of Victarion without much significant changing, other than that personal bout between Euron and Victarion, which, again, can be cut.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 7:18am

Lexx
I know how they work

Rhaegar said:

Oh, so you're one of those "devil's advocate" dicks, then?

Oh, and I never said Arianne was MORE IMPORTANT than Euron. I said that she isn't interchangeable with another character the way Euron is for show adaptation purposes. Replacing Arianne with an aged and whitewashed Trystane changes completely the SIGNIFICANCE of the Dorne setting (unique inheritance rules, motive to protect inheritance, etc.). On the other hand, replacing Euron with, say, a Balon who unlike in the books is still alive doesn't really change the dynamics of the Ironborn plotline, since they're both old men who want to conquer shit. Balon could very easily sail for Daenerys without much significant changing, other than the personal bout with Victarion which, again, can be cut.

I have no idea what you're babbling about with the "devil's advocate" bit.  Regarding Arianne not being there changing Dorne's significance, on an emotional level, yes, I agree.  It loses it's impact without having a female character being representative of the contrast between women's rights and societal places in Dorne vs. the rest of Westeros.  From a plotline point of view, which is the position I thought we were discussing, it can still be told through dialogue.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 7:24am
 (Edited on 09.25.2014 at 7:41am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

And as I said before, Show!Trystane citing those laws in the name of whatever juvenile motive he's no doubt going to have is not going to have the same impact as if Arianne was present to enable that plot herself. I really don't know how to make it any clearer to you.

And it's going to ruin that part of Season 5, even though you obviously don't seem to care. There's good changes and bad changes this show has made. This one is a bad change, a needless change, a lazy change and a sexist change. And yes, this is a case where the execution matters much more than the general skeleton of the plotline.

Just like Jaime raping Cersei in the show â?? despite the book version being consensual â?? but, hey, the plot is the "same," right?

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 7:41am

Lexx
I know how they work

Rhaegar said:

And as I said before, Show!Trystane citing those laws in the name of whatever juvenile motive he's no doubt going to have is not going to have the same impact as if Arianne was present to enable that plot herself. I really don't know how to make it any clearer to you.

No shit it won't have the same impact.  I've never said it will, or that it'll be better.  In fact, I've said from the beginning that I expect it'll be bad.  You're arguing simply for the sake of arguing.  What I've been saying is a possible reason why, in the context of eliminating multiple complex storylines in favor of fewer, simpler ones, Arianne was cut.  You then launched into ad hominem attacks for some reason you've yet to clarify, other than I didn't like Dorne's story in the books, apparently.

And it's going to ruin that part of Season 5, even though you obviously don't seem to care. There's good changes and bad changes this show has made. This one is a bad change, a needless change, a lazy change and a sexist change. And yes, this is a case where the execution matters much more than the general skeleton of the plotline.

I care a great deal that they're messing around with the story.
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
The fact that Jaime didn't confess the truth about Tysha to Tyrion, the fact that Shae attacked Tyrion, thereby making his killing of her an act of self-defense when it was purely an act of rage and pain, the lack of Lady Stoneheart, Jaime going down to Dorne instead of the Riverlands, the rumor that there won't be anything with Riverrun or Edmure or the Blackfish this season, and many more.

I admit, the Dorne story being messed with doesn't bother me much because I found that story boring the books.  The Ironbabbies being changed doesn't bother me for similar reasons.

EDIT: Wait, are you really trying to imply I was okay with Jaime raping Cersei?  Or that that was a change I approved of?  Are you kidding me?

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 7:48am
 (Edited on 09.25.2014 at 7:58am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I just see that the decision to cut Arianne is the biggest in a long line of sexist changes that D&D have made in the transition from ASOIAF to Game of Thrones. It's been a trend, subtle at first, but getting tiresome, and now it's come to removing a significant POV character entirely from the story. And you seem perfectly content with that, making you part of the problem. I have the right to demand better.

EDIT: No, I'm not implying that. I'm just taking your argument to another perfectly logical conclusion, using another example. That there's more to an adaptaion that's vital than just fulfilling the plot.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 8:05am

Lexx
I know how they work

Rhaegar said:

I just see that the decision to cut Arianne is the biggest in a long line of sexist changes that D&D have made in the transition from ASOIAF to Game of Thrones. It's been a trend, subtle at first, but getting tiresome, and now it's come to removing a significant POV character entirely from the story. And you seem perfectly content with that, making you part of the problem. I have the right to demand better.

EDIT: No, I'm not implying that. I'm just taking your argument to another perfectly logical conclusion, using another example.

"Part of the problem"?  So, you're again accusing me of sexism, right?  You're saying that because I didn't like Arianne's chapters, and thus don't care that she's been removed from the show, that's me being guilty of discrimination against women.  Well, I'm truly sorry you see me in that light.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 8:16am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Why are you sorry? You won. You got what you wanted. D&D agree with you. Season 5 is going to suck, thanks to D&D's inability to either understand why the politics and gender dynamics of Dorne are unique or an inability to care, turning Dorne into basically Spain (the rest of Europe/Westeros) with horny people. And that's not a Dorne I'm interested in seeing in the show. Unfortunately, that's going to be a major part of Season 5.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 3:48pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

But seriously, I don't think Arianne getting cut is part of some sexist agenda. I think it's to do with the fact that we're about to get a sizable chunk of new female characters as well as story consolidation. Arianne's story isn't that interesting, and there are more streamlined ways to reaching the same goal. That's it, simple and plain.

It sucks, but we all need to realize the books and the show are now two separate entities. And the reason for that is probably because books 4 and 5 are a complete mess, very difficult to translate to screen.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 4:13pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Nelfichu said:

But seriously, I don't think Arianne getting cut is part of some sexist agenda.

Either do I.  I think it's part of D&D's generally sexist ignorance of the source material and possibly filmmaking.  See also: Cersei and Jaime in the sept.

*opens can of worms, dives out of the way!*

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 4:30pm
 (Edited on 09.25.2014 at 4:40pm)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Nelfichu said:

But seriously, I don't think Arianne getting cut is part of some sexist agenda. I think it's to do with the fact that we're about to get a sizable chunk of new female characters as well as story consolidation. Arianne's story isn't that interesting, and there are more streamlined ways to reaching the same goal. That's it, simple and plain.

Calling it an "agenda," or assuming I called it an "agenda," is a strawman. But it IS another visible symptom of D&D's casual sexism that we've seen throughout the series (see Jaime-Cersei rape, the increasingly gratuitous sexposition, the changing of Oberyn's story about his mother to his father, etc.). Except the case of the disappearing Arianne is the greatest effect yet, and is NOT a change for the better.

People keep saying it's for "streamlining," and yet there has not been a SINGLE satisfactory explanation for how nixing Arianne and REPLACING her with an aged-up Trystane for the sake of a silly meet-cute with Myrcella is "streamlining." You're not even folding several characters or plotlines into one. You're straight-up REPLACING her 1-for-1, for a plot that is going to be much less satisfactory (e.g. the Tryscella bullshit), and with a character who is (a) definitely not going to be interesting (Show!Trystane), and (b) defeats the whole point of having Dorne around in the first place.

And I certainly don't care that you don't find Arianne or her story interesting, mostly because there's a lot of people out there who disagree with you. I didn't find most of Bran's journey North interesting. I'm not interested in Sam and Gilly and "fat pink mast," either. But am I arguing that those things should've been cut? NO. Have the goddamn courtesy to do the same about the Arianne storyline.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 4:50pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

A thing to remember:  Trystane isn't even a real character.  He has literally never been in the narrative.  He's referrenced second-hand a few times in different chapters, but he's never present.  None of the Dornish characters including his sister and father, or Oakheart, or even Myrcella to whom he is engaged, are in his presence during the events as they're narrated. 

They are replacing a developed empowered female POV character with a male character who might as well be created whole-cloth for the show.  That's not streamlining.  That's, if anything, overcomplicating.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 5:03pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

And we know D&D's track record with characters created whole-cloth for the show (i.e. not good).

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 8:33pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Given that GRRM has tipped off D&D on how the series is going to end-- something us readers don't even know-- they presumably see the importance or lack thereof of characters like Arianne, Myrcella, and Trystane. Arianne's inclusion to the series is honestly just to 1) remind people of Myrcella, and 2) get the reveal of Prince Doran's true plans. Arianne doesn't really do much other than her botched plan to crown Myrcella; she mainly serves as eyes in Dorne.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter