Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Game Of Thrones: Season 6

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 9 Next >

03.09.2016 1:32am
Thread Creator

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

It Is Begun: first full length trailer just dropped

Now taking all bets: will this be the season that redeems the show, or will there be only more faceplanting and hate watching?

Jump to Post

03.09.2016 2:41am
 (Edited on 03.09.2016 at 3:50am)

Testament
Shamshot

Hopefully the highs will be higher than the lows are low.

I will say that I was definitely not going to watch this season until I had read, at least, the next book, but the trailer has changed the definitely not to a probably not.

Jump to Post

03.09.2016 3:45am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

The Tower of Joy flashback has me *slightly* interested.

Other than that, barring some seriously grand word of mouth from book fans, I think I'll wait for GRRM to do it better via Winds of Winter.

Jump to Post

03.09.2016 12:50pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Well, I don't really like the fact that the "flashback" will probably take a couple episodes at the very least. It seems like they're just trying to stretch the story out at this point. That's like inserting a storyline about the Cylon war in BSG or the whole season 2 of Sparticus.

Came here to post the guide from io9. Obviously spoilers.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-secrets-hidden-in-game-of-thrones-brand-new-tra-1763642181

Jump to Post

03.10.2016 5:27am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Reminds me of Naruto fillers trying to stop itself from going ahead of the Manga

Jump to Post

04.05.2016 11:20am

Magnus
Registered Member

Seems like Winds of Winter was delayed again and now GRRM is employing assistance to get it out next year. Makes me wonder if there is something going on with him, medically, if he needs help getting the last two out.

Jump to Post

04.25.2016 3:19am

Lexx
I know how they work

Man oh man, Dorne is a Hot. Fucking. Mess.

I loved all the stuff in the North/the Wall.  I also loved the King's Landing storylines.

I wasn't crazy about Arya's storyline in Dance with Dragons, and I felt the same with her storyline here.

I was pleasantly surprised at Dany's scenes.  I was afraid I was going to hate it, but I was actually interested.

Meereen stuff was Meereen stuff.

It was a little slow moving, but aside from the lolDorne insanity, I thought it was a good premiere.

Jump to Post

04.25.2016 8:17am

Testament
Shamshot

Damn, Dorneiel. Like WTF?

...and, I'm out.

Jump to Post

04.25.2016 1:39pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Liking it, liking it.  The scene with Sansa and Theon meeting people in the woods was really good.

And then Dorne happened.

Jesus hudsuckering Christ, HBO.

I feel like... they've done TOO good a job of making Cersei a human, and frequently sympathetic, character, and she's turning into a protagonist, instead of an antagonist who happens to be a POV character (this is, FWIW, also ruining Jaime).  So to balance this out, she needs her own antagonists...

... and who better than a complete mis-reading of several (generally unpopular) characters in the weirdest of the seven kingdoms?

HBO is just burning it all down.  I don't expect Ellaria and the Shittiest Sand Snakes to be around all that much longer.  The showrunners are getting their house in order for the last seasons.

Jump to Post

04.26.2016 8:24pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

So never having read the books, from what I understand these episodes now are beyond the books?
Has George RR Martin had any input on the direction of the tv show? Is the TV show going to greatly defer from how the books actually end?

Also people are complaining about Dorne, I guess being a little lost I'm not sure what the problem is?

Jump to Post

04.26.2016 9:19pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

"So never having read the books, from what I understand these episodes now are beyond the books?"
Yes and no.  Some plots are beyond the books.  Others aren't.  The whole thing is different enough that it doesn't really matter, though.

"Has George RR Martin had any input on the direction of the tv show?"
We are told, in the most vague ways, what he's said this or that.  It's basically never a sure thing, and he has no actual control.

"Is the TV show going to greatly defer from how the books actually end?"
Oh almost definitely.

And regarding Dorne:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
[Book Ellaria]
"Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end? I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?" (This is the only actual non-paraphrased quote here, FWIW)

[Show Ellaria]
"Stab stab stab stabbity stab, and don't forget I poisoned an innocent teenager to death, and also sent my daughter(s?) to murder their innocent cousin, 'cause it's not like kinslaying is a big deal or anything."

[Book Doran]
"Secretly I've been plotting to wipe out the Lannisters and Baratheons for great justice."

[Show Doran]
"Do whatever you want, I'm super dead!"

Jump to Post

04.27.2016 6:49pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Reido is like my twin brother I never had. lol

Jump to Post

04.27.2016 9:24pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 04.27.2016 at 9:31pm)

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Coolsetzer said:

Reido is like my twin brother I never had. lol

Back off, he's mine

Also I'm not sure what makes me angrier about the disaster area that is Dorne: the overall poor writing, or the fact that they got Alexander Siddig and then completely wasted him.

Jump to Post

04.27.2016 10:23pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Aw, shucks.

To cross-post what I posted on Facebook on Monday:
"I remember the sweet Summer child I once was. The sets! The costumes! The girl from Whale Rider! Alexander Siddig! INDIRA VARMA!!!

Alas. Alas!"

What a fucking waste. 

Even as someone who loves the Dornish plotline in the books I am well aware that it is not well-loved, and its problems are both obvious and numerous.  I knew damn well it wouldn't make it onto the screen unscathed but... Gah.  The only thing wronger than Show Dorne is Show Fucking Stannis Baratheon.

Side disclaimer:  because of the hills I have chosen to die on (Stannis, Dorne, and redeemed Jaime basically), it often looks like I am against things in GoT because they are different than the source material.  This is wrong!  There are several parts of the show that are different, that I love.  There are parts of the show that have been invented whole cloth by HBO that I adore.  I full acknowledge that GOT is not the same thing as ASOIAF.

What I can't stand is when they change stuff, or add stuff, and it's objectively awful and/or stupid.

Jump to Post

04.28.2016 6:20am

Lexx
I know how they work

reido said:

Side disclaimer:  because of the hills I have chosen to die on (Stannis, Dorne, and redeemed Jaime basically), it often looks like I am against things in GoT because they are different than the source material.  This is wrong!  There are several parts of the show that are different, that I love.  There are parts of the show that have been invented whole cloth by HBO that I adore.  I full acknowledge that GOT is not the same thing as ASOIAF.

What I can't stand is when they change stuff, or add stuff, and it's objectively awful and/or stupid.

Jaime is my favorite character in the books.  I remember when a trailer came out for a previous season, it had a flash of Jaime looking at the White Book.  I was practically giddy with excitement, since I consider that to be one of Jaime's pivotal moments in the entire series.  The episode comes up and...Jaime knocks the White Book off the table and fucks Cersei.  A part of my soul died.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 9 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter