Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Game of Thrones: Season 5

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Next >

05.22.2015 5:38pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Jump to Post

05.22.2015 6:01pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Yeah, the entire video is much funnier than it has any right being.

Jump to Post

05.22.2015 6:07pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Oh SHIT I didn't know there was a longer one, the one I watched was like 6 minutes.

Jump to Post

05.22.2015 7:06pm

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

The Seth Meyers/Jon Snow Awkward Dinner was better, I think.

Jump to Post

05.23.2015 1:32am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

That song with Jaime at the end was so great.

Jump to Post

05.24.2015 6:30pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The Game of Thrones musical is far more entertaining than Season 5.

Jump to Post

05.25.2015 4:54am
 (Edited on 05.25.2015 at 5:27am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

After tonight, my jumping the shark assertion stands. Stannis and King's Landing were OK, the rest was garbage, and Dorne is the stinkiest shit to ever stink. Also, hey, let's have Gilly be the subject of an attempted rape for no fucking reason!

Jump to Post

05.25.2015 5:15am
Thread Creator

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Dorne actually wasn't that bad this week, The North and The Wall had me convinced that yes, rather than keep up the atmosphere that no one is safe and everyone is at risk they've decided to just make every good character suffer as much as possible, and then King's Landing FINALLY gave Cersei what we all knew was coming.

Jump to Post

05.25.2015 6:15am

Kellios
Yikes and away!

I still hate the Northern plot, (since I believe Sansa's getting the full Poole treatment, or close enough they can do), but I'm just going to grumble about that to myself. Though I really fucking hope that the corkscrew she picked up is going into the Bastard's Balls.

I really liked nearly everything else. and a step up from last week. The Sand Snake (I don't even know which one, bleh) boob/poison thing was bullshit, but otherwise thought this episode was good. I laughed at the Jaime/Myrcella stuff - kinda a fun/dark throw back to how Sansa was before Ned's beheading. I'm fine with The Wall stuff, I loved Stannis', "Have you lost your mind?" to Mel (The best father to have graced Westeros since Ned Stark!), I enjoyed Olenna and the High Sparrow, thought the Cersei/Margaery stuff was great, and obviously the end with Cersei. I don't think Lena Headey gets enough credit as Cersei, she really nails the crazy awful bitch without being over the top about it that just works so well for TV.

Jump to Post

05.27.2015 3:17am
Thread Creator

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

So someone actually went a did a statistical analysis of rape in the show vs the books. Conclusion: even with the storyline edits the books are WAY WAY WAY WAY rapier than the show

Jump to Post

05.27.2015 7:03pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Yay, statistical analysis with absolutely zero context whatsoever!

More to the point, yeah, the books include a lot of allusions to rape. But most of those are just that, allusions. Made to establish a world that's extremely patriarchal. Even the rapes that are elaborated on in more detail (Lollys, Jeyne Poole), and are thus more problematic, aren't shown just for the hell of it (and aren't fetishized, either).

But the show injecting rape where it previously doesn't exist just reeks of bad storytelling and gratuitousness, regardless of how much "less" it actually happens in the show.

Jump to Post

05.28.2015 6:46pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

...really? So it's okay if we allude to rape, especiallf if it's concerning minor characters, but it's not something that can happen to main rape-immune characters? 

Look, the Jaime/Cersei sex scene was badly handled, I think everyone knows that. But having Sansa get raped probably isn't just for funsies, it's a traumatic event that will hopefully add to her character. It's not just thrown in there so D&D can get off. You can't just say it's bad story telling when you don't know what it's leading to.

Jump to Post

05.28.2015 7:37pm

Testament
Shamshot

I wonder if D&D have even read the books...

Jump to Post

05.28.2015 11:55pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I can say it's bad storytelling because (a) it makes no fucking sense for Sansa to be in Winterfell in the first place, (b) we've already known Ramsey is a monster in detail since Season 3, (c) Sansa has already gone through a shitton of traumatic experiences, and (d) the scene is clearly a backslide in her character development when end of Season 4 was supposed to be the start of her transformation and learning the game.

D&D are also on record saying years ago that they were looking forward to doing the scene pretty much as soon as Sophie Turner turned 18. So, yeah, they're kind of creepy.

Jump to Post

05.29.2015 1:58pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I'm confused by point (a).  I stopped reading the books before it got to this point.  I had no idea until looking online that Sansa didn't end up in Winterfell in the books.  It made perfect sense to me.  So how does it not make sense?

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter