Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Movies based on Video Games

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.07.2012 3:44pm
Thread Creator

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

We all know they suck for the most part, but some of us enjoy them still. So which ones have you seen, which ones do you like, which ones do you hate, which do you think is the best adaptation of the source material, which games would you like to see made into movies and so on.

This thread was prompted by a viewing of Tekken this weekend which, while not a bad movie at all (actually it was pretty good), was a damn sucky adaptation of the game series. Even the first Street Fighter had more signature character appearances.

As for the best adaptations, I'd say Silent Hill. Not only was it a great horror film, and definitely one of the most beautiful I've ever seen (in terms of atmosphere and environment), the cast was great, the storyline was great, the references to the game were aplenty. I mean, it's not an A+, but I'd give it at least a B+, an A- if I was feeling generous. Mortal Kombat's another great one that has stood the test of time, even if the effects are a bit dated now and it's overall pretty campy.

The bottom of the barrel belongs to Super Mario Bros (which I still love. It's a guilty pleasure) which is a terrible movie and a terrible adaptation of its source material. The other one (that I've seen at least) is FF:TSW which as a standalone movie isn't bad, and I quite enjoy it; but as an adaptation of our (once) beloved Final Fantasy series....It's comparable to someone taking Sense and Sensibility and turning it into a ninja buddy comedy.

I've never seen Street Fighter, but I know some still like that one despite the high camp factor. And then there's the oft-forgotten Double Dragon, which I wonder how many people have actually seen. I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting.

Jump to Post

05.07.2012 4:08pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

The Prince of Persia is a pretty good adaptation of the game.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

05.07.2012 4:12pm

Kal
yes

Silent Hill is probably the only video game movie that was made by someone who knew and appreciated the source material. 
If I wanted to be an ass I'd say Pyramid Head had no reason for being there other than fanservice, but I loved seing him on the big screen so whatever. Also, the "final boss" was a little ludicrous. 
Overall though, as far as video game movies go, definitely an A-.

Also, Pirates of the Carribean was an excellent Monkey Island movie :p

Jump to Post

05.07.2012 4:31pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Super Mario Brothers really stands out as one of the very worst. Mind-bogglingly bad actually.

As for the best? I really enjoyed the first Resident Evil, the first Mortal Kombat, and the first Tomb Raider. None of those three may have been very true to the source material, actors/actresses may have been out of place, but I can watch any of those three any day of the week.

Jump to Post

05.07.2012 5:03pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I really enjoy the first RE movie, and Silent Hill is fuckin' aces.

Jump to Post

05.07.2012 5:49pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat are really the only halfway decent VG movies. Silent Hill kinda fell apart toward the end, and MK is a bit cheeseball and dated but still good fun.

Street Fighter, Resident Evil 1, FF: TSW, and Super Mario Bros are guilty pleasures.

Prince of Persia could've been good, but it was just so boring.

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was the worst thing ever.

Jump to Post

05.07.2012 6:04pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I put Street Fighter (the first one) clearly in the section of "so bad it's good", and it's because of Raul Julia (rest his soul) put on the best, most hammy performance I've ever seen.

As for good video game adapations to film, Silent Hill and the first Mortal Kombat come to mind.  RE is pretty good, but one could argue with it being a prequel of sorts to the series as a whole.

Jump to Post

05.07.2012 10:48pm

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Big Tall said:

Super Mario Brothers really stands out as one of the very worst. Mind-bogglingly bad actually.

Am I the only person in the whole world who actually liked this movie?

(Of course, most of this is the fact that I would fuck Samantha Mathis until my dick broke off.  Especially in that dress, rowr!)

Jump to Post

05.08.2012 2:22am

grey_haven
Formerly known as 'Trekster'

I like the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil series. Don't you judge me.

Jump to Post

05.08.2012 2:26am

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Southern Comfort said:

(Of course, most of this is the fact that I would fuck Samantha Mathis until my dick broke off.  Especially in that dress, rowr!)

Nope, I adored the movie as a kid. I guess I could just easily separate the movie universe from game universe, and it never bothered me.

Granted, I also haven't seen it in years. But I'd like to think my opinion wouldn't change that much.

Jump to Post

05.08.2012 2:38am

Fuuko Sakurada
Momoia =D

I loved Silent Hill a lot too ...and it seems like the sequel will be coming out soon too xD looking forward to it ...

BoA*

Best of Asia * since 2000

Jump to Post

05.08.2012 3:04am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

My favorite was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, followed by the first Tomb Raider, followed by the first Resident Evil.  Mortal Kombat was decent, but I don't know if I'd have liked it if I hadn't played the games.

I didn't like Silent Hill (although it came close), Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, the second Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, Street Fighter, Bloodrayne, or what I watched of Super Mario Bros.  Double Dragon was the worst.

That's all I can think of.  Keep in mind that I'm going by how good the movies were, not how much they were like the source material.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

05.08.2012 3:25am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

The Street Fighter movie with Raul Julia as Bison is one of my all-time guilty pleasures. The Legend of Chun-Li, on the other hand, well, the less said about that one, the better.

Jump to Post

05.08.2012 3:07pm
Thread Creator

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Southern Comfort said:

Oh I do like it, but it's still horrible (at least as an adaptation of Super Mario Bros). It's just a fun, silly movie that you can watch when you want a laugh.

Jump to Post

05.08.2012 3:28pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

I thought Doom wasn't bad.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter