Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Notes on the movies I saw this Thanksgiving weekend

11.28.2011 11:06pm
Thread Creator

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

Let's get the bad things out of the way first:

--What is this thing where trailers will end with a terrible, terrible joke? Like they want to end things with a kicker but they do it with literally the most revolting, tasteless thing in the trailer to the point where you question everything you just saw. You have two minutes of a lush, bright, sprited Dr. Suess adaptation scored by The Polyphonic Spree and the thing you want me to take away is a "She's a man!" gag? What? And then it happens over and over, with this and the pirate movie and the Queen Latifah/Dolly Parton gospel thing.

--3D still sucks. I am now convinced that it makes things FLATTER than 2D because everything along the z-axis is so collapsed and distorted that your sense of depth and space is fucked. So you have what's supposed to be this grand adventure, only I can't get a sense of how big anything is supposed to be in relation to each other.  How big is this train station supposed to be? How high is that clock from the ground? How cramped are the spaces in the walls and how large are the clockwork instruments? I can't tell because there's no sense of scale. I'm going to need to see Hugo again in 2D just to know whether or not it's a good movie. 3D IS TERRIBLE, NEVER AGAIN.

Okay now the good:

--MUPPETS. You've seen The Muppets right? Go see The Muppets. Travel by map. It's an increible mix of variety-style, anything-for-a-laugh comedy and real emotion and pathos. It throws so many gags at you that it's almost daring you not to get caught up in the real story, and then you do anyway. I don't know if there was a single minute where I wasn't smiling.

--The Descendants takes a simple premise (and it is a simple premise, which may underwhelm some people) and infuses it with real feeling and grit and three-dimensionality. More importantly it's a top-to-bottom acting showcase -- I don't remember the last movie I saw with this big a cast where EVERYONE just completely nails it. Shailene Woodley is the breakout performance of the year. Judy Greer, aka Kitty aka Cheryl/Carol is amazing. Matthew Lillard, aka SHAGGY FROM SCOOBY-DOO, is AMAZING. Some other actress is really good and you're trying to figure out where you've seen her before and you realize it's the lady from Reno 911!, for God's sake. This movie is incredible.

--This Studio Ghibli movie looks soooooooooooo good.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 2:24pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Muppets was great. My only complaints were not enough Sam the Eagle and a disturbing lack of Rizzo, the last act was a little joke-lite, and the telethon cameos seemed sorta pointless. Still, great great movie and I hope it's not long before we see another Muppets movie.

The Borrowers does indeed look good!

Has anyone seen Hugo? I've heard nothing but good about it.

Jump to Post

12.07.2011 6:02pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Muppets, Muppets, MUPPETS! I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time. Fantastic movie. If you have ever liked the Muppets at any point it's worth seeing. Favorite movie of the year by far and going back to see it again next week. It's not perfect, the song and dance numbers dragged on a bit, and some of the gratuitous cameos were silly, but that's nitpicking.

Jump to Post

12.07.2011 6:14pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I LOVED The Muppets. It really brought back the old Muppet magic from the tv show and the original movies and I laughed so much, and I had the songs stuck in my head after, and just seeing all the old Muppets again was just wonderful.

Jump to Post

12.12.2011 4:41pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

My ONLY nitpick about Muppets was the suspicious lack of Little Nephew Robin.  Apparently you can see him in one group shot, but I missed it.  Still, awesome movie that I was supposed to see again this weekend but people I was going with all pussed out.

What I don't understand is why we didn't get a blu ray release of the 3 movies to go along with this movie?  I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter