Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

RIP Roger Ebert

04.04.2013 9:22pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

This is really sad and , for some reason, probably the saddest passing of a celebrity

RIP

https://variety.com/2013/film/news/roger-ebert-dies-at-70-1200333136/

Jump to Post

04.04.2013 10:11pm

Zubis
Registered Member

RIP. Always loved his reviews, he had such a talent for writing.

Jump to Post

04.04.2013 11:53pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

Greatest film writer of all time, and as far as I'm concerned as culturally important as any movie figure of the 20th Century. He had such insights into beauty and art and articulated them so that audiences everywhere could see what he saw. His passion and cinematic advocacy helped write Bonnie and Clyde, Hoop Dreams, Martin Scorsese, and Hayao Miyazaki into film history. He taught me so much about what movies and art are capable of. I am sad that he is no longer in the world, and happy that he made it a better place.

Jump to Post

04.05.2013 1:33am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Just yesterday he did a big announcement that he was putting his entire film review archive online and it would be searchable jesus christ

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

04.05.2013 1:40am

Old Juan
filled with hate

It's too bad. Cancer really fucked with him hardcore. It least he's no longer suffering.

Jump to Post

04.05.2013 3:21pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

What a sad day for movie fans and movie afficionados alike :(

RIP Roger Ebert, you will be missed.

Jump to Post

04.05.2013 4:49pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

The thing that really bums me out about Roger Ebert's death is that there really aren't any other people out there that do what he does anymore. Mostly they're just local critics or they're staff critics or they write blogs and such; they aren't nationally recognized or nationally respected, they aren't household names. And I think that Roger Ebert was significant for that. He wasn't just a film critic, he was a public intellectual. His opinion was well regarded and listened to and sought out frequently, and he was paid for it. People like that just don't exist anymore (and where they do, they either aren't as intelligent as Ebert, aren't as funny or aren't as well educated) and that's really sad.

I mean...we seem to be losing public intellectuals at an accelerating pace, while we keep getting more professional celebrities.

And I really hope that The Host wasn't the last movie he saw. He deserved way better than that.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

04.05.2013 8:02pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

oh god if that's true that's just one more reason to hate stephanie meyers

Jump to Post

04.05.2013 10:04pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

There's still a handful of reviews he's turned in but haven't been published yet, the last one he filed was for the new Terrence Malick.

Jump to Post

04.06.2013 12:32pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Posted this on Facebook yesterday. R.I.P. Roger Ebert :(

Jump to Post

04.06.2013 5:15pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

This was a damn fine epigraph for a damn fine man.
https://www.theonion.com/articles/roger-ebert-hails-human-existence-as-a-triumph,31945/

Jump to Post

04.09.2013 10:55am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

judge_raz said:

The thing that really bums me out about Roger Ebert's death is that there really aren't any other people out there that do what he does anymore. Mostly they're just local critics or they're staff critics or they write blogs and such; they aren't nationally recognized or nationally respected, they aren't household names. And I think that Roger Ebert was significant for that. He wasn't just a film critic, he was a public intellectual. His opinion was well regarded and listened to and sought out frequently, and he was paid for it. People like that just don't exist anymore (and where they do, they either aren't as intelligent as Ebert, aren't as funny or aren't as well educated) and that's really sad.

I mean...we seem to be losing public intellectuals at an accelerating pace, while we keep getting more professional celebrities.

And I really hope that The Host wasn't the last movie he saw. He deserved way better than that.

This is how I felt about it. He was this guy who could make a reasonable stance on almost anything and articulate it in a way that anyone could understand a higher concept. He truly attempted to transcend barriers as an intellectual. It's a rare quality these days.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter