Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Robocop

09.09.2013 3:37pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Doesn't a guy get mutated horribly, and then hit with a car and motherfucking liquidize in the first one?  It's been a while and I get the installments confused.

Jump to Post

09.09.2013 3:45pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

That's the one.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

09.11.2013 11:58am

Salazar
Still here...

Wait, so now, if I'm understanding this correctly, Murphy doesn't die. he's just  badly injured. He remains Alex Murphy, just like he was before, except now he has a robot body. Bullshit.

That's not who Robocop is. Robocop is not Murphy. Murphy is dead. He was murdered. When they made him into Robocop they erased his memory. Robocop has bits of Murphy, but he is far more not Murphy than he is Murphy.  Robocop is not human. He is a machine. He is a machine with elements of humanity, and in the end he accepts them. Robocop, to an extent, takes on the identity of Murphy. He will always feel Murphy. He will never again be Murphy, but he will always try to be.

Jump to Post

09.11.2013 11:20pm

judge_raz

That's the drama of the movie. He's a ghost in a machine that struggles to assert itself, and make peace with itself. By the end of the movie, he's reclaimed his humanity and his name. If he's still Murphy, then there's no drama and there's no point to the story. He's just a horribly injured guy wearing prostheses.

Jump to Post

09.12.2013 1:18am

Old Juan
filled with hate

CaButler said:

All this talk has made me go back to watch the Original.  The version was the director's cut.

...I seem to remember the disturbing torture murder being more disturbing than what it was.

That's probably because you were a lot younger when you saw it the first time.

One thing notable about the original Robocop was that the film initially earned on X rating for violence and had to be cut down to get the R rating.

Jump to Post

09.17.2013 3:05pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

09.17.2013 4:26pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

I choose to move right past this turkey without stopping.

Jump to Post

09.17.2013 4:35pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

The Hulk said:

I choose to move right past this turkey without stopping.

Dang, that's the joke I was gonna make.

Jump to Post

09.17.2013 8:01pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

I hate to be that guy, but that poster just pisses over the 80s poster.

Jump to Post

09.17.2013 10:38pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Get that guy!

Really though, I can't agree.  Maybe there's some nostalgia kick going on inside I don't know about, but I find the 80s poster much more striking.  The stark white background on this one is the height of bland meh-ness too.

Jump to Post

09.17.2013 10:57pm

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

I'll be honest:  I don't think Paul Verhoeven is a very good filmmaker.  And while the original Robocop is easily the best movie he ever made, that's like picking the least stinky turd out of a shit ocean.  It just flat out does not stand the test of time.  Bring on the new Robocop.

(Robocop?  Decent.  Total Recall?  So bad it's good.  Basic Instinct?  Bad with a side order of poorly groomed pubes.  Showgirls?  Enough said.  Starship Troopers?  I will find you, and I will cut you.  Hollow Man?  You know it's terrible when the goddamned rape scene was the best part.)

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 12:16am

judge_raz

Anyone says another negative word against Starship Troopers or Total Recall and we will have WORDS.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 12:44am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

The Hulk said:

Get that guy!

Really though, I can't agree.  Maybe there's some nostalgia kick going on inside I don't know about, but I find the 80s poster much more striking.  The stark white background on this one is the height of bland meh-ness too.

I'm a dumbass and meant it the other way around lol. 80s > 10s.

This is what I get for posting when tired.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 2:16am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

judge_raz said:

Anyone says another negative word against Starship Troopers or Total Recall and we will have WORDS.
See, we have our difference when it comes to politics but its things like this that remind me that we are still cool. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 3:56am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

No, sorry.  Fuck Total Recall, and fuck Starship Troopers.  If Paul Verhoeven wanted my respect he should have had some respect for the fucking source material.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter