Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

04.30.2014 4:28am
Thread Creator

Old Juan
filled with hate

I figured we needed a thread to hate on, love on, or don't give a fuck on all the new Star Wars shit that's going to be coming down the gravey pipe.

First things first the principle cast for VII has been announced.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57137049/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1

Max Von Sydow and Andy Serkis in a Star Wars flick along side Hamil, Fisher, and Ford....color me intrigued.

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 4:47am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Also apparently all the games, comics, and books have now been declared as non-cannon

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 8:05am

The Hulk
Good Boy

The photo that accompanied the announcement is what sold it for me, a clever decision.  I'm nowhere near forgetting the prequels and am kinda still half-sure this will be shit, but I can't deny I'm a little excited now.

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 2:38pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I am... hesitantly interested.

shooter_mcgavin said:

Also apparently all the games, comics, and books have now been declared as non-cannon

That was already the case, though--the official stance has always been that the movies are canon, and nothing else is.  There's the EU, which has its own canon, and which the main canon has borrowed from (see: Coruscant), but it's always been officially non-canon until put in the movies.

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 3:12pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Lawrence Kasdan is writing the script. That alone gives me hope that this will not suck.

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 4:26pm

Kal
yes

My level of confidence in this is about Indy 4 level: it might be good, most likely it's gonna suck.

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 4:26pm

Ramses
Registered Member

JJ Abrams crapped all over Star Trek, so I guess it's the Holy Trinity's turn.  Star Wars, Indiana Jones, 007, Star Trek, Transformers, GI Joe, Friday the 13th...what other fond memories will Hollywood destroy!  When the MCU eventually nukes the fridge what will be left?

2011 FFO Fantasy Football Champion

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 5:51pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Ramses said:

JJ Abrams crapped all over Star Trek, so I guess it's the Holy Trinity's turn.  Star Wars, Indiana Jones, 007, Star Trek, Transformers, GI Joe, Friday the 13th...what other fond memories will Hollywood destroy!  When the MCU eventually nukes the fridge what will be left?

It can't be any worse than the prequels.

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 6:42pm

Lexx
I know how they work

Ramses said:

Well, one ray of light is that during the press tours for the two Star Trek movies Abrams repeatedly said that he was never a fan of Star Trek.  OTOH, he also said that he grew up loving Star Wars.  So maybe he'll be more hesitant to take a poo on something that is sacred in his mind than something that wasn't.

Jump to Post

04.30.2014 6:54pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Do we make fun of the inevitable lens flaring now or do we wait a bit longer?

Jump to Post

05.01.2014 10:11pm

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

Big Tall said:

Of course it can.   Hell, I'd take The Phantom Menace over, say, a Transformers movie any day of the week.  It can *always* be worse.   What I'm expecting from Abrams is little more than a remake of Empire Strikes Back.  Star Wars Into Darkness, basically, only with an older, fatter original cast and a camera that won't stop shaking.

As for the Expanded Universe bit, I really don't care what Disney considers canon.  The EU counts to me, and the Abrams movies are a 'What if'.  People have been screaming, "Han shot first!" for the past seventeen years, so  I can certainly yell "Han and Leia have three kids and Luke married a redheaded assassin!"

What nobody seems to be addressing, though, is this "Legends" moniker they're slapping on the old EU books.  Specifically, can new books be published under the Legends brand.    I've enjoyed following the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi series and all the characters therein, and I'd hate to have to lose out on their futher adventures in favor of a movie I never asked for.

Jump to Post

05.01.2014 11:28pm
Thread Creator

Old Juan
filled with hate

Spoony said:

Of course it can.   Hell, I'd take The Phantom Menace over, say, a Transformers movie any day of the week.  It can *always* be worse.   What I'm expecting from Abrams is little more than a remake of Empire Strikes Back.  Star Wars Into Darkness, basically, only with an older, fatter original cast and a camera that won't stop shaking.

As for the Expanded Universe bit, I really don't care what Disney considers canon.  The EU counts to me, and the Abrams movies are a 'What if'.  People have been screaming, "Han shot first!" for the past seventeen years, so  I can certainly yell "Han and Leia have three kids and Luke married a redheaded assassin!"

What nobody seems to be addressing, though, is this "Legends" moniker they're slapping on the old EU books.  Specifically, can new books be published under the Legends brand.    I've enjoyed following the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi series and all the characters therein, and I'd hate to have to lose out on their futher adventures in favor of a movie I never asked for.

I think they are going to publish what ever books are currently in works as far as current EU is concerned and then much like "Clone Wars" they are going to stop publishing any furthor adventures in those lines because now Disney wants to establish an official canon post RoTJ with the new movies and anything else that will be released.

Jump to Post

05.02.2014 12:13am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I'll miss you, hot redhead assassin.

Jump to Post

05.02.2014 12:46am

Ramses
Registered Member

Big Tall said:

It was George Lucas' baby.  If he wanted to Phantom Menace all over it that was his decision.  JJ AssClown and who ever Disney brings in to destroy it is just wrong.  I love STAR WARS. LOVE IT, but RotS or RotJ should have been the end of the line.  Have your books, games,  and cartoons, but leave the films alone!

Jump to Post

05.02.2014 2:16am
 (Edited on 05.02.2014 at 2:27am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Wait, someone actually likes the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series? Whaaaa??? How???

I certanly never asked for Darth "my cape is scheming against me" Caedus. Good riddance, bring on the new canon.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter