Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond

05.02.2014 2:42am

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

reido said:

I'll miss you, hot redhead assassin.

Me, too. :'(

...I just hope this isn't going to be as bad as I fear it to be. I'm going in with extreme caution.

Jump to Post

05.02.2014 4:55am

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

Rhaegar said:

Wait, someone actually likes the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series? Whaaaa??? How???

I certanly never asked for Darth "my cape is scheming against me" Caedus. Good riddance, bring on the new canon.

I didn't particularly care for the way it ended, but I really liked Legacy of the Force most of the way through.  It was fun watching Jacen Solo lose his already flimsy grip on sanity, especially when I'd gotten to know him so well through the New Jedi Order series.  I'd say it was easily more convincing than Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side.

Fate of the Jedi got pretty goofy at times, but it was an entertaining ride, and was hinting at bigger things further down the timeline that we'll probably never get to see now.

And I can't be the only one who enjoyed the books.  They routinely ended up on the New York Times Bestseller list, after all.

Jump to Post

05.02.2014 7:54am
Thread Creator

Old Juan
filled with hate

Ramses said:

It was George Lucas' baby.  If he wanted to Phantom Menace all over it that was his decision.  JJ AssClown and who ever Disney brings in to destroy it is just wrong.  I love STAR WARS. LOVE IT, but RotS or RotJ should have been the end of the line.  Have your books, games,  and cartoons, but leave the films alone!

The polarized reaction to the prequel trilogy played a big role in Lucas decision to sell Lucasfilm and by extention Star Wars to Disney. He understands that Star Wars, for good and bad is his legacy and he wants that to live on but he no longer wants to take the heat and scrutiny over the franchise.

Had history worked out differently, I don't think he would have sold it but what's done is done. He made a shit ton of money with the property but now he'll make even more because of the amount of Disney stock he owns as part of the deal.

It could go either way but I hope the sequel trilogy is good. Just the fact they got Hamil, Fisher and Ford back along with Kasdan on scripting duties does make me hopeful. Another thing this new trilogy has going for it is that there isn't one lone figure who has complete controll over all the creative decisions. Much like the OT this new trilogy will be more of a genuine collaborative effort. Most people aware of the behind the scenes stuff for the PT know that Lucas really had nobody to really challenge his ideas and help him refine them and make them better.

Jump to Post

05.02.2014 1:13pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

You know what would make the new movies interesting?  Put Carrie Fisher back in everyone's favorite bikini.  Troll level: expert.  Because, she looks like a troll now. :D

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

05.03.2014 12:18am
Thread Creator

Old Juan
filled with hate

Crono said:

You know what would make the new movies interesting?  Put Carrie Fisher back in everyone's favorite bikini.  Troll level: expert.  Because, she looks like a troll now. :D

She looks pretty fucking bad. That's going to be weird seeing on screen.

Hamill though has been training pretty hard and he's lost like 60 pounds, he looks a lot better.

Ford is about the only one who stayed the same size. He's just older now.

Jump to Post

05.03.2014 2:29am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Looking forward to the hype shoved down our throats like the second coming of Christ.

Trek > Wars 24/7/365

Jump to Post

05.03.2014 2:35am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Old Juan said:
Ford is about the only one who stayed the same size. He's just older now.
He's also batshit insane.  Every interview I see him in I swear some of the synapses in his brain just aren't even trying to connect, haha.

Jump to Post

05.03.2014 3:36pm
Thread Creator

Old Juan
filled with hate

Crono said:

He's also batshit insane.  Every interview I see him in I swear some of the synapses in his brain just aren't even trying to connect, haha.

Perhapes the big ass drought in his career has made him that way. He's taking a small role in Expendables 3 along with actually going back to playing Han Solo after years of saying he wouldn't.

Or maybe it comes from years of being with Calista Flockhart.

Jump to Post

05.03.2014 7:46pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Old Juan said:

Hamill though has been training pretty hard and he's lost like 60 pounds, he looks a lot better.

He looks pretty good actually.

Jump to Post

05.03.2014 9:44pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Coolsetzer said:

Looking forward to the hype shoved down our throats like the second coming of Christ.

Trek > Wars 24/7/365
I don't see why people are still compelled to compare Star Trek and Star Wars. They have very little in common. Star Wars has a lot more in common with westerns and Kung Fu movies than with Star Trek.

Jump to Post

05.03.2014 9:57pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I'm down for more Star Wars.

One thing I've thought about: when the prequel trilogy talks about Anakin bringing balance to the force, I would think that means him taking out Palpatine is the end of the Sith.  And even with all the history in the Old Republic games with tons of Jedi and Sith, it makes the movies significant within the universe because they represent the final stand and fall of the Sith.  But look, 30-40 years later, more Sith.

Granted, the books are really bad about messing with the original trilogy's ending.  Return of the Jedi is supposed to be a big happy ending.  Yay, no more Empire!  Yub yub!  Then, not much later, the Yuuzhan Vong kill a fuckton of people.  And the Empire is back.  And look what happens to Han and Leia's children.  Yay...happy ending.  Yub.  Yub.

Anyway, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy this, assumiing it's enjoyable (and I'm not pessimistic about it).  The movies and TV show that followed Terminator 2 aren't as good an ending to T2 as T2 is, but I still enjoy them on their own terms.  After a while, I just stopped really thinking about Terminator as a canon and jumped into whatever they were doing next.  Since these movies have a new young central cast, I can probably do the same if all else fails.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

05.04.2014 4:51pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

That's why all that post-ROTJ stuff got un-canonized and I think I heard somewhere that the bad guy in Episode VII won't be a Sith.

Not that they aren't going to use stuff from the EU for the new movies, but it's more selective things to pull into canon rather than having to navigate the convoluted mess of continuity that is the Expanded Universe in order to make 3 movies that fit in.

And yeah, the only thing Star Wars and Star Trek have in common is that they take place in space and have "Star" in the title. Star Trek is much more about pseudo-science and exploration. Star Wars is essentially a fantasy series with a pulp sci-fi setting.

The only stuff I'll miss from the old EU is stuff that already had little to no impact on the canon of the movies, like the KOTOR/SWTOR stuff (which will still likely be made and possibly even canonized since EA has become Lucas' major Star Wars game maker) and Dark Horse's Legacy comics.

Jump to Post

05.04.2014 6:33pm
Thread Creator

Old Juan
filled with hate

The EU was never official canon. Lucas lisenced the characters for the novels as a means to continue to make money off the characters in a different medium and to keep the intrest in Star Wars going while there were no new movies being made at the time. But he never considered them official nor was he beholden to them and had stated as much. Of coarse it no longer matters anymore because now even Ol Georgie doesn't have final word on what is canon going forward in this series.

Agreed on the actuall reality of Star Wars VS Star Trek. But these two franchises have always been paired up in competition just due to how devoted both fanbases are.

Jump to Post

05.04.2014 10:38pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Onyx said:
I think I heard somewhere that the bad guy in Episode VII won't be a Sith.

Okay, I guess I just assumed he was supposed to be given that comparisons were being made (in the media, anyway) to Darth Vader.

Jump to Post

05.04.2014 11:01pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Old Juan said:

The EU was never official canon. Lucas lisenced the characters for the novels as a means to continue to make money off the characters in a different medium and to keep the intrest in Star Wars going while there were no new movies being made at the time. But he never considered them official nor was he beholden to them and had stated as much. Of coarse it no longer matters anymore because now even Ol Georgie doesn't have final word on what is canon going forward in this series.

Agreed on the actuall reality of Star Wars VS Star Trek. But these two franchises have always been paired up in competition just due to how devoted both fanbases are.

There were different levels of canon according to LucasFilm and official Lore Nerds like Abel Pena and Leland Chee. It went like this (summarizing Wookiepedia here):

G-Canon - George Lucas Canon. This was the defininitive level of canon that if it ever contradicted or changed anything in a lower level of canon, the G-Canon won out. All six of the movies were G-Canon, as well as anything just said by George

T-Canon - Television Canon. Not as definitive as the movies, but still higher priority than anything else as George Lucas had a lot of direct involvement with this stuff. Basically, the Clone Wars TV series and the movie related to it. Not sure about the original Clone Wars shorts, but I think they fit in with this.

C-Canon - Continuity Canon. This applied to the vast majority of the EU. Basically, anything that wasn't contradicted by the T or G-levels was considered this and canon within the universe. A lot of stuff from C-Canon can find its way to T and G, too. Like the Imperial/Republic capital planet being named Coruscant was originally Timothy Zahn's idea for his Thrawn books. Lucas liked the name so he brought it into the prequels.

S-Canon - Secondary Canon. Old/weird stuff that doesn't quite fit in with other stuff in the films, tv shows, or the rest of the EU. Most S-Canon stuff was made before they tried to make the EU more consistent.

Non-Canon - Basically "What if?" stories as well as mechanics and stats from the video games, RPG's, or card games that have no real bearing on storytelling. Or anything that's been completely contradicted by G-C levels of canon, deleted scenes from the movies, and other random stuff.

With the changes announced by Disney, this is all thrown out the window.  But that's how it worked beforehand.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter